Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Survey --- Win 10 is dying, Win 11 involves $$$$$$ (Read 363 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Survey --- Win 10 is dying, Win 11 involves $$$$$$
07/12/21 at 08:53:36

This is a survey where you write a simple quick post.

All of you have been Windows Jerked before, it involves MS forcing you to buy a new machine yet again.    This time MS is claiming "security" is the reason, something that makes me chuckle to hear it coming from their MS lips .......

Some of you went Linux last go round, this time around some of you are going Chromebook as your choice of fix (yes MM, I am talking about you).

WHAT THE GROUP NEEDS FROM YOU IS THE BACKGROUND FOUNDATION FOR YOUR CHOICE AND YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE FEED BACK.

We all have choices to make and I am suggesting that making the same PC/Windows 11 choice yet again is going to be counterproductive to your wallet.

Many of us are retired now and do not NEED a Windows computer running Win 11 just to light the same old browser.  

Many of us just use a PC to just run a browser and do some occasional Facebook / Twitter and we only ever do some fairly simple shite with our expensive computer ......   all of which you can do off a Chrome Ready conversion of your old Windows hardware.    Ditto for Linux Mint, your old hardware is still plenty good enough using Linux drivers and is plenty fast enough to do the jobs you need done.

Being coerced into buying a brand new full power PC machine to do this simple type of stuff is just a big waste of money.

MM uses a Chromebook, how is that going for you MM ????

For my main box I use an old Dell box running Linux Mint Mate, and by my bed I keep a 8" Fire tablet that is Chrome enabled.    Mostly, I read books off of it, but when the interest strikes I can do a Chrome search or buy something off Amazon with it just dandy.

What ya got and how is it doing for you ???

« Last Edit: 07/12/21 at 10:32:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Survey --- Win 10 is dying, Win 11 involves $$
Reply #1 - 07/12/21 at 09:29:37

Well, I like linux. It is my wife's and my sit-in-front-of-the-TV daily drivers. I usually run Ubuntu or Linux Mint, mostly on older machines, including a few rescue laptops. I've also been playing around with Pop OS and a little bit with Manjaro. I usually stick with Debian/Ubuntu-based distrubutions because they seem to be the most compatible with hardware. Also, pre-compiled software packages almost always support Debian installs.

I have a Windows desktop and laptop that I keep on Windows. The ONLY reason I am still running Windows is that I need MS Office Powerpoint for building church worship presentations, which are played on a Windows computer at church. I simply have not found an alternative Office suite that has enough Microsoft compatibility for what I need to do, which is media heavy. I don't plan on upgrading to Windows 11 until Win 10 gets dropped from support.

I have thought about Chromebook, but I haven't looked into it very much, mostly for two reasons. 1) I want software that will run standalone on my computer. I do multitrack recording, some video editing and production (OBS Studio). 2) I dislike the world-domination aspects of companies like Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook, so I like to stay away from them when I can.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 07/12/21 at 10:24:57

For those thinking Chromebook, here is the best deal going at the moment, this one is a Walmart 2 day deal @ $129.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Chromebook-311-11-6-HD-Intel-Celeron-N4020-4G...

Rumor has it that all of Chromebook's short life span issues will be addressed by ChromeReady, giving Chromebooks life spans similar to Linux machines.

Still, you will have to convert your Chromebook to CloudReady when the time comes ........    the same CloudReady can also convert your old dated Windows machine into a Chromebook just as easily.

CloudReady skips booting the machine to an OS and then separately having to go on line with a separate browser --- you just skip directly to the Chromium browser.   Google bought CloudReady and is incorporating CloudReady's tricks into their own Chrome Browser Software.

===================================================

Downside here is if you have a piece of old style program that has to run from Windows you may have to get an on-line version of that software or find a Linux program that picks up and writes back to the old format you are using.

Another good trick to remember is to use Libre Office software (Libre Office software has Linux, Windows and Mac versions available)   People keep forgetting that Libre Office reads and writes all the old MS formats, so if you are caught out in this old version situation you should try Libre Office to see if it can open up your old MS format and let you see your data again.  

If Libre Office software  can open it, it can write back into any of the old MS formats, and you also have a chance to change the extension type to whatever the current MS standard you need for it to be.   You can also reset the defaults in Libre Office to open up old stuff and then save your files automatically into the newer format that your end user can read.    

I set this auto open auto save stuff up for my wife while she was still working, and she got a lot of kudos from her instructor buddies as Windows would abruptly stop supporting old file formats that had important teaching stuff in them, but Nancy could open the old file and then save it back in the more modern extension type and thus save all the work folks had invested over the years.   This was much appreciated by her peers.

I'd find my wife sitting at my machine jest a chunkn' away at saving somebody else's butt time and again.

« Last Edit: 07/12/21 at 13:20:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #3 - 07/12/21 at 11:25:30

bobert_FSO wrote on 07/12/21 at 09:29:37:
I do multitrack recording, some video editing and production (OBS Studio).

Not to derail the topic, but what are using for multitrack recording? I have been using Reaper for a while now and love it. And with the huge selection of free VST plugins available you can do practically anything that you can imagine. Want a full symphony orchestra? There is even a free VST for that.  Smiley

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #4 - 07/12/21 at 11:40:52

Fast650, I have been a Reaper user for years. I think I got in on version 1. Previous to that, I was doing ADAT 8-track on digital tape. Before that a TEAC 3440s 4-track open real.

It does everything I need to do. However, I haven't really gotten much into VST instruments.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/12/21 at 13:13:49

Fast 650, you cannot derail a topic that I started --- they are all conversations and we know what conversations tend to do.

Take time to make an aside, we can always get back to the threat MS is leveling against us all later on  ........

I know doodle about music software and their formats, so carry on my wayward son, you'll have peace when you are done .......  (don't you cry no more)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 07/12/21 at 15:14:38

Have been using Linux Mint Mate 17 for about 3 years on your advice, seems to work ok, except for the power cut issue. I have owned HP desk top for just over ten years and it was probably a run out model when I brought it. Still have WIN7 in the computer, but I will need a professional to get my photos on WIN7 on to a memory stick or CD before I get rid of it. Can't do it myself because of so called CONFLICTS. No intention of getting WIN 11.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/13/21 at 05:51:58

Chromebooks and Linux do not do well with the software I use.

Getting Linux to smoothly link 20 AR headsets and conference them into a VR classroom is not exactly easy to do.  With MS it takes about 5 minutes.  Anyone using Oculus can not join easily since Linux is not efficiently supported.

Chromebooks need external storage for anything that uses high memory and streaming from another PC to manage resource intensive programs.  So  for me it's makes more sense to run programs off the primary PC, than to stream them to a Chromebook.  

MS programs like Excel and PowerPoint run better on MS machines.
Getting other companies to switch to more Linux compatible software would take more time and money than purchasing a new PC.

So I would say I am not personally against Linux if it will run, easily, the  programs I use, but at this time they appear to be more for preserving a comfort level than introducing new concepts.  It took years to get Linux supported 3D printing software and only weeks to get it on Windows.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/13/21 at 08:10:54

Eegore, for your work world, you are pretty much locked into Windows software ---- this is a familiar situation we have all faced at work over the years.   You will have to dance the MS upgrade dance and it will cost $$$$$ and aggravation and you will do that dance again and again every few years.

For home use for retired people, Windows is not so much a lock any longer.    

We don't have the large free flowing  $$$$$ going any longer, so sometimes we make choices based on what works for us.

MM likes his new Chromebook, he likes the touch screen.

jcstokes keeps a dual boot Mint system.

bobert_FSO likes Ubuntu and Mint but he keeps an older Windows machine around for "just in case".

These are all folks who made this decision to get off the Windows upgrade treadmill.   We will get a few others ringing in eventually.   And I don't think anybody paints themselves into a corner unnecessarily,  I for example keep one Windows machine (Win 10) that my wife uses for the ghosts of her old work stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 07/13/21 at 10:24:50

I don't know much about different computer systems and am glad I don't have to learn !  Tongue

My windows 10 is working just fine but I'd still be using "Windows XP" if I had my rather's , it was so easy !  

I got the Chrome-Book for its traveling  abilities , but it is really easy to use and like .

I use my Windows 10 everyday , its 15.6" screen and buckets of memory are the main draw.   The 11.5" Chromebook don't get used much while I'm at home.    They are both touch-screen (spoiled I guess) and I can't imagine using the curser for everything again.

When and If the W-10 stops working I might have to resort to the Chrome book ... I'll still be needing to use my pictures off the "OLD - Windows 10 , but the Chrome book only has 32 (?)bites of memory  ,   I'm thinking of using memory sticks to plug-in what I need.
You got that part all figured yet .  ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #10 - 07/13/21 at 10:49:43

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/12/21 at 13:13:49:

Fast 650, you cannot derail a topic that I started --- they are all conversations and we know what conversations tend to do.

Take time to make an aside, we can always get back to the threat MS is leveling against us all later on  ........

I know doodle about music software and their formats, so carry on my wayward son, you'll have peace when you are done .......  (don't you cry no more)

Okay, if you like that song there is a Swedish band that you should check out, called Siena Root. They are trying to bring back that style of music again. A bunch of their music is on youtube.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #11 - 07/13/21 at 10:54:57

bobert_FSO wrote on 07/12/21 at 11:40:52:
Fast650, I have been a Reaper user for years. I think I got in on version 1. Previous to that, I was doing ADAT 8-track on digital tape. Before that a TEAC 3440s 4-track open real.

It does everything I need to do. However, I haven't really gotten much into VST instruments.

Well we just told our ages with that one. I never got into ADAT, it was out of my price range at the time. But I am with you on the 8 track and 4 track open reel stuff. I had a few different open reel decks over the years, and a Tascam 16 track mixer.

The VST instruments appealed to me because I could never find other musicians who would or could play the stuff that I wanted. With VST and MIDI I can be the entire band now and record what I want how I want.  Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 07/13/21 at 12:27:11

Chrome book only has 32 (?)bites of memory  ,   I'm thinking of using memory sticks to plug-in what I need.
You got that part all figured yet .  ?

Mike, you have tons of on line storage available to a Chromebook.   When you use it as it was intended, if you drove a truck over your Chromebook you could open your account on a replacement unit and it would all be there.

Think 30 kids in a class, they each walk in and take a Chromebook from the charger rack and log in to it --- all their stuff is there immediately.

Two kids throw their units out the window and smash them up on the sidewalk --- but they still turn in their classwork at the end of class using another unit from the charger rack.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #13 - 07/13/21 at 13:35:32

One minor issue occurred when I brought an HP laser printer. The salesman was dubious when I asked if it would work on Linux, however, I took the gamble and it prints fine. Scanning was another matter, it wouldn't do it. Stuck a memory stickin the printer and scanned to that. You could say there's minor inconvenience in taking the stick out of the printer and sticking it in the computer, but it doesn't worry me.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 07/13/21 at 23:17:00

I agree that Linux is very shaky with printing, especially wireless printing.    This shakiness derives from MS carelessly buggering up the drivers that came with the actual machine as written by the original vendors.   The resolution for this buggering can happen later, when Linus's boys build their own driver for the machine and put it into the Linux kernel itself.

I can buy a new printer, one that supports Linux LAN printing of all my machines and it all works great as installed ----- and I can count on it failing within 1-2 years before MS screws it up with the driver updates they insist on sending out to everybody.

I will fight to get it fixed when it goes bad, with about 50% success rate, then I start eyeballing a new printer to coincide with the running out of the 5 pack of toner cartridges that I bought to support the new machine.

My wife used to print a whole lot for school, now that she is retired and all her old set of buds got laid off at the University she really does not print a whole lot any more.

I too will take whatever I need over to a jump drive and then run the graphic I need printed off on my wife's old machine.   This is my signal to start eyeballing a new printer on super sale around Thanksgiving to Christmas time.

It's funny, MS will break everyone else, but their stuff will keep on working "fairly well".

Then, if the inside the Linux kernel support does not arrive on time for that Brother printer, I will consider buying a replacement printing machine and starting the cycle over again.

« Last Edit: 07/14/21 at 05:44:55 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 20:46:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Survey --- Win 10 is dying, Win 11 involves $$$$$$

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.