Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test (Read 1031 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test
Reply #75 - 06/07/22 at 01:50:46

Just the splines.  No moly-lube on the threads.  The threads get a few drops of Loctite 260 or 272 (the red stuff).

Splines_Moly_Lube.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #76 - 06/07/22 at 01:53:33

With the engine completely assembled and installed in the motorcycle, it was time to start the clock.  The odometer was reading 24,926 miles.  It’s probably a good time to tabulate exactly what I was getting ready to test.

-Wiseco 94mm flat-top piston, .040” quench

-94mm cylinder, stock height

-Stage II head, 33mm intake valves, 28mm exhaust valves, 1.5” D-port, 56cc chamber

-DR650 cam, stock late-model rocker arms, Cagiva valve adjusters

-Floating cam chain tensioner, 12mm extension, .06” back-travel

-Six-inch flywheel

-Stock 5-speed transmission

-Hybrid clutch, 13 plates, stock springs, Sneezy release cam

-Knock-off PWK40 carb (actually 38mm)

-K&N 3” x 5” cylindrical air filter

-Mac 1.79” exhaust header pipe

-LCGP 2.5” muffler with 1.75” ID baffle, 288 holes

-Stock final drive pulleys

The engine was close to the 94mm flat-top engine that I originally built in February of 2021.  The only significant changes were:

-PWK carb

-Big flywheel

-DR650 cam

-Floating cam chain tensioner

-Larger baffle in muffler

-Ignition timing retarded 2°

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #77 - 06/07/22 at 01:54:49

I topped it off with break-in oil and took it easy for about 220 miles.  It ran fine, nothing unusual, felt just like it did before.

I dumped the oil and refilled with Mobile 1 V-Twin 20W-50.  The magnetic drain plug was clean.  No metal chips.  Commence the endurance test.

The days of runnin the guts out of it are over.  My program will now focus on durability.  No more WOT pulls, over & over & over.  Just gonna ride it like a regular biker.  It will see normal service, lot’s of high-speed cruising, passing trucks and rubber-neckers, occasional WOT trips to 6500 rpm.

The plan is to log at least 10,000 miles on the 94mm flat-top while I build the new 97mm four-speed engine package.  I’ll pick off items on the to-do list while I’m runnin the endurance test.  Since the flat-top piston makes such a big difference in fuel consumption, I plan to keep good records on that parameter.  Oil pressure, oil temperature, and cylinder head temperature (CHT) will be monitored, as well as oil consumption.  The oil will get changed at 3500-mile intervals.  Each time I change the oil I will inspect the cam chain tensioner and see what sort of wear to expect from the floating plunger setup.  Also, at each service interval I will check valve clearance and cranking pressure.   Every now and then I will take a peek at that crack in the intake port epoxy.  This should be interesting.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #78 - 06/07/22 at 01:57:04

First 3500 miles.

It had great power.  Seemed just as healthy as it did before I started the Evolution of a HotRod project.  Audible noise and vibration were normal.  The new muffler was quiet and seemed to be making good power.  There was no discernable change that could be associated with the heavy flywheel, and power characteristics felt identical to the prior setup.  The two cams run about the same.  So do the carbs.  I really can’t feel any difference between the VM and the PWK.

Oil pressure & temperature remained the same.  Usually about 8 psi and 200°F at 4000 rpm.  CHT was about the same or possibly just a bit hotter.  It ran about 280°F to 300°F.

Fuel consumption was a bit higher, even with the less restrictive muffler.  It was still getting excellent fuel economy, but it wasn’t deep into the 70 mpg zone.  It was averaging mid to high 60s, with an occasional 70 mpg ride.  Still stellar mileage, but not as good as it was before.  The increased fuel consumption could be related to the carburetor, flywheel, ignition timing, or the cam.  I’m gonna guess it’s the cam.

Although the milder DR650 cam would generally be associated with improved fuel economy, this motorcycle has extremely low gearing which seems to favor the hotter 340b cam.  I think the hotter cam, with more overlap and TDC lift, compliments the gearing.  Its more efficient at the LS650’s high cruising rpm.  Just a guess on my part.  I suspect the retarded ignition timing didn’t help either.

Oil consumption was up.  It used about 6 to 8 ounces every 1000 miles.  That was a significant change.  The first iteration of this engine didn’t seem to use much, if any, oil.  Now it needed oil every 1000 miles.  Not a big deal, but it was a change that I couldn’t explain.  Maybe re-using piston rings has something to do with it.  My guess would be the cast-iron oil scraper (2nd ring).  Maybe I should have installed a new set of rings.  However, I don’t consider 8 ounces every 1000 miles as anything to worry about.

All went well.   The engine ran great.  On 4/26/22 the odometer was reading 28,654 miles.  Time to change the oil and do an inspection.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #79 - 06/07/22 at 01:57:43

I dumped the Mobil 1 and checked the magnetic plug.  No chunks, just ferrous sludge.  A good sign.

Drain_Plug_Powder.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #80 - 06/07/22 at 01:58:35

The spark plug looked fine.  It had a little more color than I would like but nothin ugly was goin on.  I have no idea how many miles are on this plug.  You can see that it’s pretty old.

Plug_OK.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #81 - 06/07/22 at 01:59:13

Valve clearance was OK.  The intakes were .005” and the exhausts were at .006”.  No indication that the Cagiva adjusters, valve tips, or cam lobes were wearing rapidly.  I have never found a tight valve on the LS, they always gain clearance.  Never found any evidence of valve seat recession either.  I left the valves as-is.  I want to see where they are at the 7000 mile mark.  Note that the Cagiva adjusters use a square head instead of a slotted head.  I find they are a little easier to adjust.

Adjuster_Husky_Fitup_1_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #82 - 06/07/22 at 02:00:07

The cam chain tensioner looked fine.  It was at 12.5 mm, so it had only gained about 0.5 mm.  Rather than tweak it back to 12 mm I left it where it was.  Again, I want to see how it looks at 7000 miles.

Tensioner_12_5_mm.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #83 - 06/07/22 at 02:01:04

While I had the clutch cover off, I installed the new Sneezy clutch release cam.  It fit good and worked fine.  I’m sure it will last a long time.  I didn’t disassemble the clutch but there were no outward signs of wear or distress.  It seems to be hackin the mission.

Sneezy_Release_Cam_Installed_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #84 - 06/07/22 at 02:01:38

Cranking pressure was 225 psi.  Pretty much the same as it was on the original 94mm flat-top.  I was happy with that.  I guess the compression ring was holding its own.

Compression_225.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #85 - 06/07/22 at 02:02:14

I wasn’t finding any evidence of detonation.  The plug looked fine and there was no audible noise or vibration issues.  I decided to throw in a couple of degrees of ignition advance.  I wanted to see if I could find a few more mpg.  The alternator cover had to come off to adjust the timing.  The alternator rotor looked great.  None of that ugly sludge and debris I found on the engine with the transmission failure.

Alternator_Rotor_No_Sludge.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #86 - 06/07/22 at 02:02:58

I moved the ignition pickup .102” to add 2° of advance.  Every .051” equals 1°.  When it’s all back together I double check with my little timing wheel and a strobe light.  I was lookin for 5° at idle, right on the factory spec.

Adjusting_Ignition_Trigger.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #87 - 06/07/22 at 02:04:42

Everything looked good.  I reassembled the engine, installed a new oil filter, and filled it up with Mobile 1.  The ignition timing checked out good.  I need to keep my eyes and ears open for any signs of detonation or unusual vibration.

At 29,274 miles on the odometer, I tried a new breather system that’s a little more friendly to our environment.  It uses the Hayden KrankVent to pull a slight vacuum in the crankcase.  I previously tried the KrankVent but didn’t have much luck with it.  I wanted to try again.  It’s an interesting contraption that seems to have merit.  I will do a separate report that discusses the installation.   So far, it’s working good.

I’m currently at 31,145 miles.  Next oil change will be due at 32,154 miles.  It’s running great.  Fuel consumption has improved a bit and I’m not hearing the dreaded spark knock.  It still uses about 6 to 8 ounces of oil every 1000 miles.  So far so good.

See you in about 1000 miles.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #88 - 06/07/22 at 07:31:14

Having to wait 8 weeks for my cylinder head is killing me!  I am really anxious to get my engine back together.  The head is the last piece of the puzzle I need.  As always, great write up, DBM!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #89 - 06/07/22 at 07:35:55

Awesome write up!
Thanks again!!!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 11:07:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.