Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test (Read 1031 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test
Reply #105 - 06/30/22 at 23:03:53

The valve clearance remained unchanged.  The intakes were still .005” and the exhausts were still .006”.  This bodes well for the DR650 cam and the Cagiva valve adjusters.  Doesn’t look like anything is wearing down.   The heavy-duty RD springs don’t seem to be causing any issues.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #106 - 06/30/22 at 23:04:49

The 13-plate hybrid clutch looked fine.  I’m not going to disassemble the clutch unless it exhibits some sort of problem (slipping, dragging, noise, etc.).  Up to now, the clutch has performed well.  It never slips.  The drag is actually less than the stock clutch.  Shifting is good.  No problems finding neutral.  The only anomaly is an occasional squeal that occurs if I try to take off in the wrong gear or do a jack-rabbit start.  I think that is due to my leaving the wave-washer assembly out of the stack.  I think that results in a bit of chatter and/or resonance.  Not a problem IMO.  Dave is also experiencing this squeal on his 13-plate mod.  He might have additional comments.

The hybrid clutch hacks the mission.  I continue to beat this thing up pretty good, and it doesn’t slip.  Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

Hybride_Clutch_Looks_Good.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #107 - 06/30/22 at 23:05:35

The special Sneezy clutch release cam continues to work like a charm.  The ball socket looks the same as it did when I installed it.  The action has been smooth and consistent.  It never needs adjustment.  It’s stronger than dirt.  What more can you ask for?  If you don’t have a Sneezy cam, you do so at your own peril.  Thank you again Mr. Sneezy.  Killer good replacement part.

Sneezy_Cam_No_wear.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #108 - 06/30/22 at 23:06:17

The clutch pushrod is also in excellent condition.  It performs well with the Sneezy cam.  One part is not sacrificial to the other.

Pushrod_no_wear.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #109 - 06/30/22 at 23:06:59

The epoxy in the intake port looks exactly as it did 7000 miles ago.  The small crack hasn’t changed.  I can’t forget about the epoxy; that would be foolish.  But it has held up admirably for about 15,500 miles.  I will continue to inspect it periodically.

Int_Port_OK.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #110 - 06/30/22 at 23:07:39

Awhile back my intake elbow fell apart.  It was a 2” street elbow made from ABS plastic.  Best as I could figure, the aromatics in the fuel attacked the plastic and it crumbled apart.  I replaced it with a 2” PVC street elbow.  I didn’t like the look of the white PVC, so I painted the replacement elbow with black paint.  The PVC elbow is holding up well.  It has yellowed on the interior, but there is no evidence of deterioration.  It’s also clean as a whistle.  Zero dirt.  The K&N filter is takin care of business.

Induction_Elbow_Clean.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #111 - 06/30/22 at 23:08:22

Like the induction elbow, the carburetor was very clean.  No dust or dirt accumulation.  The PWK carburetor is proving to be very reliable and consistent.  It never requires adjustment and continues to provide great performance from idle all the way through WOT.  No hiccups, smooth response, no flat spots or hesitation, killer power & economy.  I never touch the thing.  What a bargain.

Carb_Inlet_Clean.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #112 - 06/30/22 at 23:09:21

The special earth-friendly breather system is working well.  There doesn’t seem to be any improvement in performance, but it definitely dried up all the little oil weeps and seeps.  The joints are 100% oil-tight.

The catch can drain down was interesting.  A small spurt of brown liquid dribbled out.  This liquid was way too thin to be engine oil.  The liquid seemed to be about the viscosity of penetrating oil.  Only thing I can figure is the aromatics off the carburetor circulate into the breather system when the engine is secured.  There they mix with any oil droplets in the catch can screen and drip into the reservoir below.  It’s a very small amount of liquid.  Since my catch can is fabricated from ABS plastic, I need to be concerned about a failure similar to the one I experienced with the ABS induction elbow.  While it wouldn’t threaten the engine, it could be messy.

Catch_Can_Drain_Down.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #113 - 06/30/22 at 23:10:36

Fuel economy did not improve.  I thought I could get a few more mpg with a tad more ignition advance.  That didn’t pan out.  The additional 2° of ignition advance didn’t do much.  Temps may have come down a bit, but fuel economy didn’t improve.  Neither did power.  Same goes for the new muffler.  The 1.75” baffle flows a lot better than the 1.65” baffle, but I didn’t realize any appreciable gains in performance or economy.

Over 3589 miles I filled the tank 30 times.  It used 53.0 gallons of premium fuel.  That works out to an average 67.7 mpg.  The worst mileage I got over that period was 61.4 mpg.  The best I got was 73.1 mpg.   It still gets really good fuel economy; I just can’t replicate the economy I was getting with the 340b cam, VM carb, and light flywheel.   Oh well.

After it was back together, I filled it with Mobile 1 and did a cold compression check.  It pumped 225 psi.  That pretty much confirms that hot checks pump way more than cold checks.  Looks like I can expect about 9% more cranking pressure when it’s hot.

Compression_Cold_225_psi.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #114 - 06/30/22 at 23:11:20

So far so good.  All is well with the Hotrod Savage.  I’m currently at 32,641 miles.  Next oil change will be due at 35,751 miles.  It’s running great.  See you in about 3100 miles.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #115 - 07/01/22 at 07:42:16

Thanks for the practical testing and kind words, DBM.  After running a metal fab shop for 24 years, I knew the material selection was the right way to go and it would be waaaay stronger than the sintered stock part.  There was a lot of jibber jabber initially about test methods and whatnot.  But I appreciate you doing the test work and publishing the results - it verified what I knew to be a much stronger part.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #116 - 07/01/22 at 08:31:04

DragBikeMike wrote on 06/30/22 at 23:07:39:
Awhile back my intake elbow fell apart.  It was a 2” street elbow made from ABS plastic.  Best as I could figure, the aromatics in the fuel attacked the plastic and it crumbled apart.  I replaced it with a 2” PVC street elbow.  I didn’t like the look of the white PVC, so I painted the replacement elbow with black paint.  The PVC elbow is holding up well.  It has yellowed on the interior, but there is no evidence of deterioration.  It’s also clean as a whistle.  Zero dirt.  The K&N filter is takin care of business.

If you ever need to replace it, have a look at CPVC. That is what you use for hot water.

I don't know if JB weld is like bondo, except that it is an epoxy. If you're looking at a place that just won't straighten enough to only need a shallow application of bondo and you Have to apply a deep stack of bondo, you can't do it in one pass. It's gonna crack. You hafta put it on in layers. Naturally, clean and dry surface, then, pressing the bondo onto the surface, " Wetting "it, add enough to be able to scratch it with something like 40 grit,to give it Teeth so the next application will stick, rinse and repeat.

If you could find something that would take the heat, be non metallic and flexible to use like rebar,that would be good.

When I was working on a cab over truck that had been sand blasted using heavy media, I used six gallons of mud. Passenger side had been punched just above the headlight. The floor was buckled up. It was aluminum, I had nobody to hold a backup hammer while I smacked it from the other side. I don't remember how I got ahold of it to pull it with the come along, but I got it hooked up. It just slid the fork lift, so I grabbed a few welding rods,got the flux off of them and started building that area up until it was pretty deep, drilled a coupla holes and put a rod in the mix. Built it up more, added another rod, I think I used three, not sure anymore..
But the moral of the story is, my body man buddy told me I was going to see it crack and fall out. I saw that truck, up close, about five years later, when they retired it.
No cracks. And it was a West Texas oilfield truck, so it got rattled hard goin down those roads.
Ahh! And another thing about epoxies. Yeah, the instructions tell you how to mix it. But if I want it to not be brittle I use less hardener.
Trying to get a large area covered in one pass is difficult, especially if it is a hot day.
YaKnow, you can almost stop epoxy from curing by putting it in the freezer.

If you want to try an experiment you could mix a batch and make three lumps.

Smear half of one thin,leave some scooped together to make it thick
In the freezer it goes

Another of them, all from the same mixture

Just leave it where you are working

The third, in the sun and hopefully some breeze.

I got a blister from some five minute epoxy I mixed up and had a fan blowing on it.

If you mix it up light on the hardener you can put a drop light near it.

My boss was pretty upset when I mixed up enough to cover the whole roof of a big four door car and it looked like it would never dry. Parked it in the sun, and about an hour later I had a roof with a uniform application of mud. Quick and easy to finish because it wasn't a patchwork of areas of varying hardness.

never dry,,everyone does that once in a while..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #117 - 07/05/22 at 11:19:32

Justin, thanks for the comments regarding mix ratios.  I use a JB Weld product called "High Heat" for the port mods.  It comes in a log with the two components already rolled up together.  When you want to use it, you kneed the log to mix the two components and then have about 8 minutes to apply the mixed epoxy.  It works good for this application because the mixture is firm and holds it's shape as you form it over the floor of the port.  To keep it from sticking to my finger, I wet my finger with mineral spirits.

It doesn't surprise me that a crack developed.  I anticipated that the epoxy would eventually degrade.  It's subjected to a harsh environment.  The fuel acts as a solvent and is constantly bathing the surface of the epoxy.  There are extreme temperature swings from ambient when I start it to possibly about 300 degrees when it's at max temp.  There are also huge temperature gradients between the entrance of the port to the area adjacent to the valve seats, and also from the surface of the epoxy that's getting bathed in vaporizing fuel to the bond joint between the aluminum and epoxy.  To make things worse, the aluminum and epoxy expand at different rates.  I'm amazed that it has lasted as long as it has.

The crack extends from the 8mm stud hole straight back to the entrance of the port.  The layer of epoxy in that area is real thin.  I'm not too worried about it.  It's easy to inspect so I'm just gonna keep an eye on it for now.  It would be nice if I had a little more working time with the epoxy so that I could shape it a bit better during the application.  Maybe I should play around with it a bit to see if I can figure out which component of the log is the hardener, then see if I can somehow scrape out a bit of the hardener and see it cures OK.

This post has some info on the various epoxies/fillers I was considering and how I tested them prior to doing the port mods.  I believe that at the time I was trying to find a filler that was suitable for the exhaust port too.  As it turns out, I determined that the exhaust could be improved to a point that exceeds my requirements and no filler is needed in that dipsy-doodle.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1557210973

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #118 - 08/20/22 at 18:08:14

35,783 Miles.  Time for the next service.

35783.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #119 - 08/20/22 at 18:09:06

Although my focus was on the engine, the test program was taking a toll on the rest of the bike.  I was logging a lot of miles, trying to click off at least 120 miles per ride, and trying to ride at least five times per week.  A few other things were gonna need some attention.

Tires for one.

Rear_Tire_35783.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 12:28:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.