Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test (Read 1031 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test
Reply #60 - 06/07/22 at 01:32:52

I needed a cam to keep the program goin, so I resorted to the trusty old DR650 cam.  It had about 11,463 miles on it.  Still looked pretty good.  It had some very small pits that were only visible at 5X magnification, but nothing like the craters in the Web 340b.  The new test mule would get the DR650 cam.

DR_Cam_11463_Miles.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #61 - 06/07/22 at 01:33:40

I try to keep my cams and rockers in matched sets.  The rockers that I run with the DR650 cam looked perfect, so those went into the sausage grinder too.

Rocker_Pads_Dr_Cam.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #62 - 06/07/22 at 01:35:11

Because I would be running my Stage II head, I was able to install the special Cagiva valve adjusters.  The Cagiva adjusters don’t fit the Stage III head, but they do fit the Stage II head.  Might as well give them a long-term test to see how the adjusters and valve tips hold up.

These special adjusters have a larger footprint and a tighter spherical radius.  They allow for higher lift without edge loading.  The intent is to prevent edge chipping, a problem I experienced with the stock adjusters.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been keeping track of the mileage on these components.  I estimate they currently have about 500 miles on them.  The DR cam doesn’t have enough lift to warrant the special adjusters, but they look to me like they will be a lot easier on the valve stems.  A long-term test seemed like a good idea.

Adjuster_Cagiva_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #63 - 06/07/22 at 01:35:55

I’m basically lazy.  The Stage II head was set up with the heavy-duty RD spring kit and DR650 valves.  The DR650 cam does not require the heavy-duty long-travel springs, but if I wanted to convert back to stock springs, I would have to replace all four valves.  No thanks.  I’m not goin through all that hullabaloo.  I decided to leave the head as-is.  It was a good opportunity to see how the DR650 cam handles the higher spring pressure.  The RD springs exert about 28% more force than the stockers.  That means a lot more pressure on the cam lobe.

RD_Springs__Retainers.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #64 - 06/07/22 at 01:36:59

Since I was switching the cam from the Web 340b to the DR650, I did clay checks to verify piston-to-valve clearance.  I’m pretty sure this was a waste of time since the DR 650 cam has significantly less TDC lift than the Web 340b, but I wasn’t takin any chances.  The Flat-Top piston runs mighty close to the head.

Things looked great in the clearance department.  With .040” quench clearance and cam timing set to the factory marks, the valves stayed well away from the piston.  The DR650 cam was not gonna present any sort of clearance problem with the Wiseco Flat-Top.

Clay_Check_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #65 - 06/07/22 at 01:38:29

I’ve been wanting to revisit the cam chain tensioner.  A few guys are running tensioners without the pawl.  Sort of a free-floating setup.  Most are incorporating a hard-stop to restrict backward movement of the plunger to about .04” to .06”.  I ran a setup like that for a little while.

If the valve-to-piston clearance is on the ragged edge (like on the 97mm Flat-Top I built), then I’m not a fan of any play in the cam drive.  But this 94mm Flat-Top engine, with the DR cam and 33mm intake valves, had ample valve-to-piston clearance.  It looked forgiving enough to permit some leeway.  A cam chain tensioner with a bit of back-travel seemed tolerable.  I just have to do periodic checks and adjustments.  Since I ALWAYS inspect the chain tensioner when I do a scheduled oil change, periodic checks won’t be a problem.  A bit of float will reduce some of the stress on the cam drive.

I have an adjustment bolt on my cylinder head that allows me to adjust the arc of the rear chain guide.  That bolt, in conjunction with a floating tensioner, allows me to do periodic adjustments.  This is the setup for the adjustment bolt (which is just a 5/16-NF continuously threaded stud).

Jack_Bolt_Installed.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #66 - 06/07/22 at 01:39:14

This is the pawl-free plunger (shown on top).

New_Plunger_15mm_Longer_no_rack_2_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #67 - 06/07/22 at 01:40:14

This is the modified tensioner.  The plunger goes hard at 10.5mm, so I set it to 12.0mm (cold).  That allows it to retract 1.5mm (.060”) as the engine heats up.  It should be very close to the hard-stop when the engine is at normal operating temperature.  When I change oil, I will check the extension, and adjust as necessary.  Just a simple turn of the adjusting screw will bring the extension right back to 12mm.  I intend to keep track of it and report periodically.  We can all get a better feel for how these floating tensioners behave.

Tensioner_12mm.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #68 - 06/07/22 at 01:41:12

The stage II cylinder head has a modified intake port that utilizes epoxy to reshape the floor of the port.  That epoxy had a small crack that developed at the 8mm stud hole in the bottom of the port.  I expected the epoxy would give up over time, but I don’t have a good feel for just how long it will last.

The Stage II head had about 8500 miles on it.  I want to see how well these epoxy jobs hold up, so I left the crack as-is.

The epoxy is easy to remove and reapply, but that wouldn’t tell me much about durability.  Although a big chunk coming loose and running through the engine would be bad, I decided to take the risk and see what I could learn.  It’s easy to inspect, so why not just monitor and see how it goes.  You can just barely see the crack if you enlarge this photo.

Int_Port_Epoxy.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #69 - 06/07/22 at 01:43:26

The big 97mm engine exhibited several problems when it failed.  In addition to the transmission failure (heavy pits in 5th gear), there was high vibration and audible noise, excessive crankshaft runout (about .004” TIR), and excessive main bearing play (about .0035”).  Since I didn’t have a good explanation for the runout and vibration issues, I opted to assemble the replacement engine with the stock flywheel.  I thought there could possibly be a connection between the super-light three-inch flywheel and the vibration issues.  There is almost no difference in performance, so I installed the big six-inch flywheel.

I also couldn’t rule out detonation.  To be on the safe side, I retarded ignition timing 2°.  That would also give me an opportunity to see how the ignition timing affects driveability, operating temps, fuel economy, etc.

This little timing wheel rig along with a strobe light allows me to verify that the ignition timing is where I want it.  I was lookin for 2° BTDC at idle and 27° to 28° at 4000 rpm.  It’s a shame you can’t tweak it with the engine running.  Maybe someday I’ll work on that.  

Prep_Timing_Wheel_Zero.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #70 - 06/07/22 at 01:44:00

Assembly was straight forward.  Cam timing was set at the factory marks.  I used a stock head gasket and ended up with .040” quench clearance.  Valves were adjusted to .004” intake and .005” exhaust.  The cam chain tensioner was set at 12mm extension which left 1.5mm back-travel (.060”).  The pseudo 40mm PWK carb was installed with a 145 main jet, 35 pilot jet, DGK needle (clip in 2nd groove), and 7.0 slide.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #71 - 06/07/22 at 01:48:07

The exhaust system got a mild upgrade.   I had built a new high-flow muffler with a larger baffle.  I ran it on the 97mm Flat-Top engine for a few miles.  Not long enough to see how it performed.

The new baffle had a 1.75” ID with 288 perforations in lieu of the 1.65” ID baffle that had 216 perforations.  It reduced the restriction from 31.5” H2O to 26.5” H2O.

This is the new baffle tube.  I think anything larger than this will start to increase restriction.  It wasn’t much louder than the 1.65” baffle.  It’s quiet.

1_75_Baffle.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #72 - 06/07/22 at 01:48:49

The muffler also got a new stainless-steel adapter to replace the painted carbon-steel adapter.

Stainless_Steel_Adapter.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #73 - 06/07/22 at 01:49:23

The new adapter polished up nicely.  It was a good cosmetic improvement.

Adapter_Polish.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #74 - 06/07/22 at 01:50:05

The 97mm engine had evidence of fretting corrosion on the output shaft splines, so I made sure to coat the splines with moly-lube when I installed the drive pulley.

Spline_Lube_Moly_Paste.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 11:38:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.