Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test (Read 1031 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test
Reply #30 - 02/10/21 at 22:10:12

All the clearances had been checked.  The compression ratio had been verified.  Time to put it together and see how it runs.  I followed standard assembly procedures.  Once the engine was back in the frame, I filled the crankcase with Castrol 20W-50 V-Twin motorcycle oil.  Then pre-lubed the top end by filling the reservoir (trough) below the cam lobes with an oil can.

Pre_Lube_Cam2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 02/10/21 at 22:10:50

It was ready to crank.  I like to see pressure build on my oil pressure gage before I fire up an engine for the first time.  So, I always crank my engine with the spark plug removed until I see the gage start to register some oil pressure.  It’s a good time to take the initial compression reading.  It pumped about 225 psi.

Compression_Pre_Breakin2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 02/10/21 at 22:15:20

It fired up and ran good.  The idle was a little cobby for a while but eventually it smoothed out.  It felt frisky, was quiet, and the vibration levels were low.  No leaks.

I proceeded to break in the new piston.  I checked fuel mileage three times during the break-in.  I was impressed.  On the first mileage check it got 73 mpg.  That seemed like it was too much.  Thought I might have made a mistake.  The second check it got 65 mpg.  Less but still better than I had ever observed on the Savage.  Third check it got 69 mpg. Man, this thing is efficient.

After it passed the 400-mile mark, I took it for a long ride (for me). About one-third of the ride  was haulin freight on the freeway, about one-third on 50 mph country roads, and one-third on 40 mph surface streets. It went 114 miles on 1.48 gallons of fuel.  There was nothing gentle about this ride.  It wasn’t an attempt to set a fuel mileage record.  It got a whopping 77 mpg.

After it passed the 500-mile mark, I did another long run, only this time I rode it full bore.  Plenty of WOT.  Lot’s of freeway.  After 102 miles it had sipped 1.42 gallons of fuel.  The little 94mm took a lickin, kept on tickin, and got 72 mpg under some pretty aggressive riding.  That made a believer out of me.  It’s not an anomaly.  Five fuel mileage checks and every one showed fuel economy at 65 mpg or better.  The average fuel economy works out to 71.2 mpg.  I guess that gradually-increasing quench zone gets the job done.  My concern over the spherical dish has been put to rest.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 02/10/21 at 22:16:23

All through the break-in and subsequent testing, the oil temperature and cylinder head temperature (CHT) have remained low.  It’s hard to compare the temperatures to my other engines because the ambient temp has been unusually low.

I took it on my standard heat run.  It’s a 50-mile run up through the Koolau mountains over to the Windward side of the island.  The run has long uphill grades at freeway speed.  The tach spends most of its time at 4500 rpm and never drops below 4000 rpm.  Ambient temperature was 75°F.  The oil temp never exceeded 200°F and the CHT never exceeded 296°F.

On this particular heat-run course, I’ve seen the 97mm Big-Bore reach oil temp as high as 230°F and CHT as high as 360°F.  The 94mm Pop-Top ran 242°F oil temp and 343°F CHT.  I don’t think the Wiseco Flat-Top is going to have any overheating issues.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 02/10/21 at 22:18:06

How’s the power?  It felt powerful, with a willingness to rev fast, but the seat-o-da-pants dyno doesn’t cut it.

In preparation for this project, I did some baseline tests on the 94mm Wiseco Pop-Top.  The intent of the project was to see how the two pistons compare.  So, the two setups would be identical except for the pistons.  Same crankcase, same cylinder, same head, same cam, same carb, same air filter, same exhaust, same ignition, same flywheel, same gearing, etc.  I even used the same old spark plug.  The only thing different was the piston.

The benchmark would be a 3rd gear pull from 4K to 7K at my standard test location.  The 94mm Wiseco Pop-Top engine did that pull in 6.68 seconds.  That’s the benchmark.

The Flat-Top engine did that 3rd gear pull in 5.65 seconds.  That’s impressive.  It’s over a full second faster than the Pop-Top piston.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 02/10/21 at 22:20:00

While I was building the Flat-Top engine I was playing with the 97mm Big Bore.  I did a bunch of 3rd gear pulls with the LCGP HiFlow muffler and then tried some pulls in 5th gear.  Starting the 5th gear run at 3.5K and ending at 5.5K accelerates from 55 mph to 85 mph (like passing a big rig on a country road).  I felt that would simulate real world conditions.  So, I did some 5th gear pulls on the Flat-Top engine too.  Unfortunately, I came up with this 5th gear test after I had pulled the 94mm engine out of the frame, so I don’t have any 5th gear data on the 94mm Pop-Top.

The 97mm Big-Bore does the 3rd gear pull in 5.72 seconds.  As mentioned previously, the Flat-Top does the 3rd gear pull in 5.65 seconds.

The 97mm Big-Bore does the 5th gear pull in 6.56 seconds.  The 94mm Flat-Top does it in 6.53 seconds.

Wow!  The 97mm Flat-Top is just as fast as the 97mm Big-Bore, even in top gear from as low as 3500 rpm.  This is one speedy little piston.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 02/10/21 at 22:21:12

During the break-in, as I started to ride it a little harder, it was evident that there is more mechanical noise.  The piston clearly rattles a bit.  I can’t help but wonder if the skirt were a little longer would it reduce that noise?  I don’t know what effect that will have on longevity.  It’s not obnoxious but it is unsettling.  As I mentioned earlier, forged pistons make more noise than cast pistons, and I have a bit more clearance than Wiseco recommends.  At this point, I’m not too concerned about the noise.

At a little over 500 miles, I checked valve clearance, inspected the spark plug, inspected the piston with a flexible camera, checked compression, and checked my breather can for oil.  The valves were all .005”.  The spark plug was pretty dark and there was no evidence of detonation.  It’s getting enough fuel.  The piston looks great (what I can see of it), no sand blasting, pitting or missing chunks.  It seems to be doing fine on 92 octane.  Compression has bumped up to 230 psi.  The breather can was dry, no indication of excessive blow-by.

Here’s a look at the plug.  My best acceleration times were with a 230 main jet and the air/fuel meter was in the mid 12s.

Plug_Check_WFT_230MJ2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #37 - 02/10/21 at 22:23:28

So, how does the new Wiseco Flat-Top work?  Great.

It’s a simple installation that can be accomplished with routine tools (no machining, welding, etc.)  It requires good attention to detail and ALL clearances MUST be checked, but you don’t need much more than a standard set of tools, a good cylinder hone, a set of feeler gages, and some modeling clay to get the job done.

It bumps the compression ratio up over two points (8.2:1 to 10.4:1).

It provides good, tight quench for improved turbulence and combustion.  It’s clearly more efficient.

It will work with 92 octane pump gas.  I had no issues with detonation.  I can’t guarantee this with other cams, but it worked fine with the 340b.

It runs cool.

It runs smooth.  Vibration levels seem on par with the stock piston.  It is much smoother than the 94mm Wiseco pop-top.

It measurably improves performance and economy.  The improvements are dramatic.  It’s faster than the 94mm Pop-Top, and just as fast as the 97mm Big-Bore.  Fuel economy is off the hook.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 02/10/21 at 22:25:25

That pretty much sums it up.  I want to give a BIG shoutout to Dave & Lancer for collaborating on the project.  Dave cross checked my sketches and calculations.  Lancer worked out the details with Wiseco, and he took the financial plunge and associated risk required to do the special order.

I hope you find this report informative.  As usual, I welcome your questions and comments.  I will continue to log miles on the new Flat-Top.  If something interesting comes up, I will update this report.

Mask up.  Stay safe.   Stay well.

Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #39 - 02/11/21 at 07:27:52

Wow, 230 psi. That's a lot of squeeze.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 02/11/21 at 16:31:53

Great write up and results.....as usual!

It is nice that you were able to get a significant power increase by improving efficiency - rather than just going bigger.  More power and increased mpg - that is not often achievable.

It will be interesting to see how long you leave your bike together this time........have you found the power and performance you are looking for?  Or - are you already scheming on the 97mm flat top piston?
Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #41 - 02/11/21 at 16:47:15

At some point I will probably swap in some new cams and do some porting to the head. This piston is a great “plug-n-play” solution for a performance gain.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #42 - 02/11/21 at 19:38:26

DragBikeMike wrote on 02/10/21 at 21:46:22:
Lancer got together with Alan Pizzino at Wiseco ...
------------

LOL, I used to race with that guy!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Te
Reply #43 - 02/11/21 at 19:48:07

DragBikeMike wrote on 02/10/21 at 22:15:20:
It fired up and ran good.  The idle was a little cobby for a while but eventually it smoothed out.  It felt frisky, was quiet, and the vibration levels were low.  No leaks.

I proceeded to break in the new piston.  I checked fuel mileage three times during the break-in.  I was impressed.  On the first mileage check it got 73 mpg.  That seemed like it was too much.  Thought I might have made a mistake.  The second check it got 65 mpg.  Less but still better than I had ever observed on the Savage.  Third check it got 69 mpg. Man, this thing is efficient.

After it passed the 400-mile mark, I took it for a long ride (for me). About one-third of the ride  was haulin freight on the freeway, about one-third on 50 mph country roads, and one-third on 40 mph surface streets. It went 114 miles on 1.48 gallons of fuel.  There was nothing gentle about this ride.  It wasn’t an attempt to set a fuel mileage record.  It got a whopping 77 mpg.

After it passed the 500-mile mark, I did another long run, only this time I rode it full bore.  Plenty of WOT.  Lot’s of freeway.  After 102 miles it had sipped 1.42 gallons of fuel.  The little 94mm took a lickin, kept on tickin, and got 72 mpg under some pretty aggressive riding.  That made a believer out of me.  It’s not an anomaly.  Five fuel mileage checks and every one showed fuel economy at 65 mpg or better.  The average fuel economy works out to 71.2 mpg.  I guess that gradually-increasing quench zone gets the job done.  My concern over the spherical dish has been put to rest.
---------

Those are some astounding numbers.  I'm big guy but I'm lucky to get much over 50-52 mpg.

What would you expect from a stock motor under those same conditions?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #44 - 02/11/21 at 20:20:38

Wow!
Great work!
Great reporting and documentation!
Thanks for sharing!!!!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 06:40:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiseco Flat Top Piston - Installation & Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.