Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Epoxy Test for Port Mods (Read 152 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Epoxy Test for Port Mods
05/06/19 at 23:36:12

To prepare for port modifications, I tested two epoxies and one filler paste to see if they are appropriate for modifying the intake port and exhaust port.

Based on readings that I took on the exterior of the head, and information Dave has provided from his installed cylinder head temperature meter, the anticipated intake port temperature should be around 300°F to 350°F.  The interior of the port is continuously cooled by the flow of intake air, along with the fuel droplets that are vaporizing as they pass through the port.  I don’t know exactly what the highest anticipated port surface temperature is, but I think using an assumed 350°F is a conservative approach.

The exhaust port is another story.  It’s hotter than the devil’s den in there (well over 1000°F).  No epoxy that I could find will withstand the extremely hot exhaust gas.  I think it will require some sort of ceramic paste.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Epoxy Test for Port Mods
Reply #1 - 05/06/19 at 23:38:59

I started with products that are readily available at the local auto parts stores.  JB Weld is my go-to epoxy, so I stuck with their brand.

For the intake port, I looked at original JB Weld epoxy paste and an epoxy putty called JB Weld High Heat.  Original JB Weld is a two-part paste while the High Heat product is a two-part putty.  The original JB Weld is rated at 500°F continuous while the High Heat product is rated at 450°F continuous.

Here’s a shot of the original JB Weld.

Std_JB_Package_1_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 05/06/19 at 23:40:05

Here’s a shot of the High Heat.

High_Heat_Container_1_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 05/06/19 at 23:41:05

For the exhaust port, I looked at a JB Weld product called “Extreme Heat”.  It’s a one-part paste.  It’s water base and contains steel fines, silicic acid, and sodium salt.  It’s rated at 2400°F continuous.

Extreme_Heat_Package_1_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 05/06/19 at 23:42:48

I tested the epoxy products for temperature resistance, fuel resistance, adhesion, and tensile strength.  I will be using an epoxy in the intake port where the temperature should not exceed 350°F.

I tested the Extreme Heat product for adhesion, temperature resistance, and tensile strength.  If it holds up to the tests, it will be used in the exhaust port.

Each product was applied on a section of aluminum angle in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.  Prior to application of a product, the test surface was thoroughly degreased with Brake-clean, and an anchor profile was ground into the test surface.  

This is what the test surface looked like prior to application of a product.

Epoxy_Prep_Test_11_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 05/06/19 at 23:44:58

I allowed the products to cure for at least 48 hours after the initial application.  Then I blended the products into the adjacent aluminum to get a feel for the bond line.  I used abrasive porting rolls to do the blending.

Here is the original JB Weld after blending.  Pretty good edges but note the small holes.

Std_JB_Feathered_1_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 05/06/19 at 23:46:17

Here is the High Heat after blending.  Pretty good edges, no holes.

High_Heat_Feathered_2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 05/06/19 at 23:47:28

Here’s a look at the Extreme Heat after blending.  Lots of holes but the edges look OK.

Extreme_Heat_Feathered_2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 05/06/19 at 23:49:17

I washed the specimens in the sink and right off I could tell the extreme heat product seemed to be dissolving.  Not a good sign.  The two epoxies weren’t affected by the water.

I sawed each specimen in half using a chop-saw with a carbide blade.  I mounted the specimen in the saw such that blade rotation would tend to pull the epoxy/filler-paste off the aluminum angle.  I believe the shearing action from the blade along with the heat generated by the dry cut subjected the bond to quite a bit of stress.  After the saw cut, I examined the bond line.

Here’s a look at the bond line on the original JB Weld.  It looks pretty good except for one small area where I could detect what appeared to be slight separation between the epoxy and substrate.

Std_JB_Chopped_2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 05/06/19 at 23:50:11

This shows how the High Heat held up to the saw.  It showed a very tight joint with no evidence of separation.

High_Heat_Chopped_2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 05/06/19 at 23:51:27

The Extreme Heat handled the saw just fine, but you can see this stuff is very porous.

Extreme_Heat_Chopped_4_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 05/06/19 at 23:56:14

Because I was concerned about water solubility with the Extreme Heat product, I placed half of the specimen in a jar of water.  Within 15 minutes the entire layer of cured paste was gone.  It totally dissolved.

While there is little concern over water in the exhaust port, I am a BIG fan of a nice hot, soapy, water bath prior to assembly.  I want ALL the grit out before I put it together.  Port mods require grinding, and this cured product is like rock.  Clean-up after the port work will be mandatory and a filler that dissolves in water just won’t cut it.  Things were looking bleak for the Extreme Heat filler.

Just for info, I submerged the two epoxy specimens in water and left them over-night.  It didn’t affect the epoxy.  Time to lite-off the BBQ.

I baked all the specimens in my BBQ at 450°F for four hours, then I removed the two epoxy specimens and left the Extreme Heat specimen in the cooker.  I raised the temp to maximum and monitored the surface temperature of the specimen every hour.  

My BBQ maxes out at around 575°F but I figured the specimen would be significantly hotter since it was directly above the burner.  I would shoot the specimen with my infrared thermometer each hour.  I measured temps around 600°F.  Its sort of a moving target because as soon as you lift the cover the specimen is exposed to ambient air and the temp immediately starts to plunge.  I got it as hot as I could without putting a flame directly on it.

The specimens looked pretty good after the bake-off, but the slight separation line was starting to become a bit more evident on the original JB Weld specimen.  Otherwise it looked solid.  None of the specimens showed any sign of imminent failure.  They were all hard as rock and seemed to be holding up well.  The only significant visual change was the epoxies were getting darker in color.

To see how the heat affected the water solubility, I threw them back in a jar for another soak.  The Extreme Heat product now showed no evidence of dissolving, but it swelled up.  It was lookin worse and worse for Extreme Heat.  It’s just doesn’t look like a good product to use in any sort of uncaptured application.  I think it would be OK in a threaded hole, or as a sort of filler/sealant between say my special exhaust insert and the face of the port.  But anywhere it isn’t captured, I don’t trust it.

I did another test on the Extreme Heat to see if it becomes insoluble at lower temps.  I baked a specimen at 250°F for two hours, then placed it in a jar of water.  It didn’t dissolve, and it was still hard as rock after the soak, but when I pressed on it with my thump it popped right off the test angle.  I’m not likin that.  Here’s how the stuff looked.  I’m not likin the gas pockets.

Ext_Heat_bake__soak_failure_7_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 05/06/19 at 23:58:56

Now it was time for the gasoline soak.  I soaked the epoxy specimens in E10 for twelve hours.  No visible change.  They held up fine.  Still hard as rock.

At this point, I was pretty much convinced that I would not be putting the Extreme Heat product in the exhaust port.  It is just too sketchy.  But both epoxies seemed suitable for the intake.  They could take the anticipated heat in stride, and they showed little inclination to separate from the substrate or swell when subjected to shear, heat, or E10.  It was now time to test for adhesion.  I included the Extreme Heat just to collect the info.

My adhesion test uses two eye bolts with flange nuts.  The flange nuts were prepped with an abrasive cut-off wheel to provide a good anchor profile, then I cemented the two assemblies together and let the product cure for two days.  Then I baked the specimen in the BBQ at the appropriate temperature (450°F for the epoxies and 600+°F for the Extreme Heat).

Here is an example of the anchor prep.

Adhesion_Test_1_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 05/07/19 at 00:00:23

Here is an example of an adhesion/tensile test specimen.  I want to see the bond between the nut and the epoxy hold up and the epoxy fail in the center of the joint.  That way I know the adhesion between the epoxy and the port wall should be good enough to keep the filler material in place.

Adhesion_Test_5_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 05/07/19 at 00:01:52

I used the High Heat product and started with a specimen that had no anchor profile, just the plated surface and serrations on the flange nut.  I suspended weight from the test specimen in five-pound increments.  The bond line failed at 50 lbs.  The flange nuts have a surface area of .26 square inches so that works out to 192 psi.   I did this test to demonstrate what I don’t want.  I want the epoxy material to fail, not the bond.  You can clearly see that the epoxy pulled completely away from the serrated nut.

High_Heat_Failure_No_Prep_1_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 02:48:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Epoxy Test for Port Mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.