Muffler Shootout (Read 595 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Muffler Shootout
Reply #30 - 11/11/20 at 22:17:13

The LCGP looks nice.  It’s kinda like an old school Britt bike muffler.  It was easy to install.

Mikes_HiFlow_LCGB_2_5_Muffler_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 11/11/20 at 22:18:53

I tested each muffler for flow restriction.   The manometer reading is directly proportional to restriction, higher inches H2O equals more restriction.  Here’s how they stacked up.

Modified stock:                        42-1/2” H2O

Dyna:                              41” H2O

Cherry Bomb with baffle:            41” H2O

LCGP with 1.5" baffle:                  33-1/2” H2O

Mac (chrome):        32-1/2” H2O

LCGP with 1.75" baffle:      31-1/2" H2O

Mac (black):                               26" H2O

Cherry Bomb:                        16-3/4” H2O

It’s pretty obvious that the Cherry Bomb is the least restrictive.  Of course, the LCGP would be even less restrictive without the baffle, but it would be exactly like running a straight pipe.  Simply out of the question.

« Last Edit: 12/17/20 at 00:50:18 by DragBikeMike »  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 11/11/20 at 22:20:04

The weights are as follows:

Stock:                  14 lbs

Dyna:                  7 lbs

LCGP with baffle:      6 lbs

Mac:                          5 lbs

C-Bomb with baffle:      4 lbs

C-Bomb:                    3 lbs

Why am I not surprised that the stock muffler is a porker?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 11/11/20 at 22:21:49

Noise levels:

Modified stock muffler:            very quiet

Dyna:                                very quiet

C-Bomb with baffle:                      very quiet

LCGP with baffle (1.5" & 1.75"):  very quiet

Mac (chrome):                           painfully loud

Mac (black):                          crushingly loud

Mac ((black) packed:                    loud but tolerable

C-Bomb:                                  crushingly loud

« Last Edit: 12/17/20 at 00:53:29 by DragBikeMike »  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 11/11/20 at 22:24:33

Sound quality:

Modified stock:  It sounds almost exactly like the stock muffler.  It’s a little lower frequency so it’s slightly less irritating.  Sounds a lot like a small industrial engine, like a pressure washer or a farm implement.  Not pleasant, not powerful, just sort of utilitarian.

Dyna:  It sounds much better than the stock muffler.  It obviously has some sort of wool packing in there because the grating high-frequency noise is filtered out.  It’s a nice sounding muffler with a nice tone.  Not like a V-Twin but much better than stock.

Note that in the past I have made negative comments about the Dyna, stating that it was too noisy.  I don’t know how I arrived at that conclusion.  Maybe I slipped it onto the stock header for a quick & dirty listen, possibly didn’t have a good seal between muffler & header.  For this test it was installed correctly, and the sound was good.

Mac (chrome):  In a word, obnoxious.  Emits an extremely loud, high-frequency snap, crackle, pop.  The absence of any wool packing is evident because every decibel of acoustic energy seems to escape this things grip.  While I am sure an open pipe would be louder, this thing will flat make you some enemies.  If you think other bikers will admire the manly music wafting from your exhaust tip, think again.  It’s all high-frequency cacophony and sounds anemic.  I hate it.

Mac (black): Similar to the C-Bomb.  Very powerful low-frequency sound but the volume is bone-crushing.  It is so loud I literally had to sneak out of my neighborhood and could not run the thing in the garage for any sort of tuning.  It is a good deep rumble and sports the sort of sound quality that most bikers are looking for, but the volume is simply too much.  Waaaaaaaay too much.  Please, don’t run this muffler without packing.  With ceramic wool packing it’s tolerable until you screw on the throttle.  Added 11/22/20.

C-Bomb:  Very powerful low-frequency sound but the volume is bone-crushing.  It is so loud I literally had to sneak out of my neighborhood and could not run the thing in the garage for any sort of tuning.  It is a good deep rumble and sports the sort of sound quality that most bikers are looking for, but the volume is simply too much.  Waaaaaaaay too much.  Please, don’t run this muffler without a baffle.

C-Bomb with Baffle:   Top notch sound quality.  Very nice low-frequency thud, thud, thud.  Deep, throaty, very pleasing, powerful note.  The combination of restriction, directional change, and absorption really does the trick.  Great sounding muffler.

LCGP with Baffle:    Didn’t even attempt to run this one without a baffle.  Same comments as the C-Bomb with baffle.  Very nice sounding muffler.  Both the 1.5" baffle and 1.75" baffle were very quiet and had a nice healthy sound, but the 1.75" baffle produced an even lower frequncy note.  Even more pleasing than the 1.5" baffle.
Both these setups are excellent.

« Last Edit: 12/17/20 at 00:56:38 by DragBikeMike »  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 11/11/20 at 22:26:48

The 3rd gear acceleration times from 4000 rpm to 7000 rpm were as follows:

Modified Stock Muffler:            8.20 seconds

Dyna:                                7.83 seconds

C-Bomb with Baffle:                    7.81 seconds

LCGP with 1.5" Baffle:                7.37 seconds

Mac:                                        7.21 seconds

Mac (black) packed:            6.72 seconds (added 11/22/20)

LCGP with 1.75" Baffle:   6.68 seconds (added 12/16/20)

C-Bomb:                                  5.79 seconds (Steam heat, tsssssssss!)

As you can see, this engine wants a free-flowing exhaust system.  The aggressive 340b cam really seems to work well with the unbaffled C-Bomb , the Black Mac, or  the LCGP with 1.75" baffle.  The trick will be to achieve free flow equivalent to the C-Bomb without making a lot of noise.  Easier said than done.  It will be interesting to see what happens when I try the open C-Bomb on the 97mm engine with its milder camshaft and larger exhaust port.

I’m not suggesting that a free-flowing muffler on a stock engine will provide a similar improvement in acceleration.  But on a highly modified engine, an engine that can take advantage of the free-flowing exhaust, you should expect a big gain.  My engine obviously needs a better exhaust system.  Lobbing 2.4 seconds off my acceleration time says it all.

« Last Edit: 12/17/20 at 01:42:33 by DragBikeMike »  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 11/11/20 at 22:27:48

Aesthetics?  I’ll leave that up to you guys.  I think all the systems look good in the right application.  The stocker looks good on a sleeper.  The Dyna looks good on a cruiser.  The Mac looks good on a café.  The C-Bomb looks good on a bobber.  The LCGP looks good on an old school replica.

For me, the clear winner overall is the LCGP.  My goal is power and this one makes measurably more power without making a lot of racket.  It achieves a low level of restriction without a high level of noise.  It sounds good too.  I believe there’s more flow to be had.  That 2.5” glass-pack leaves enough room for a larger baffle tube (like 1.75” ID).  I think I can get the restriction down to levels that are lower than the Mac.  It would be great if I could come up with a muffler that pulls 16.5” H2O like the unbaffled C-Bomb, yet emits noise like the baffled LCGP.  Dream on you say?  Hey, ya gotta shoot for the stars, right?

I hope some of you find this report informative.  As always, I welcome your questions and comments.

Stay safe, stay well.

Mike  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #37 - 11/12/20 at 00:48:01

Nice write up. Sure looks like fun.

This bike makes some noise. 5 years back or so I won a loud bike contest at a show against all these Harleys with straight open pipes. It suppressed me the 650 was so loud with an aftermarket pipe, and made me realize I gotta quite down that stinking bike.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 11/12/20 at 02:45:59

Good Write up and testing.  A lot of folks just want their bike to sound faster, and don't really care if it actually is.

Several other forum members who have installed Mac mufflers, including their Slash Cut model agree it is too loud.  Any muffler you can see through is not going to be quiet!

I do hope the Cherrybomb results don't start a "loud fad" in the pursuit of performance - your engine is highly modified and needs to breath!

I wonder how well a SuperTrapp muffler would work on your bike?  (Not trying to get you to spend more money).  There was a SuperTrapp on my bike when I bought it - I took it off as it made too much noise for me.  When I ride down the street I wave to my neighbors and they wave back.......they have all 4 fingers up!

Maybe you could figure out a way to put a butterfly valve in the baffle tube.....and make it straight through and noisy when you need the power?

« Last Edit: 11/12/20 at 04:24:39 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #39 - 11/12/20 at 06:52:02

Wow! Another amazing job and write-up!
thanks
I too have the Mac system. Only run the bike on the side stand for a little while. Doesn't sound bad at idle, but I believe you about being loud when the bike is revved up.
I bought a universal baffle and am trying to figure out how i want to fit it into the muffler.
Of course, in the middle of this all, I moved, so the last few months of my life have been chaos.
Looking forward to getting back to the project.
thanks again

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 11/12/20 at 08:35:51

You can get an app for smartphones that serves as decimeter.
certainly your evaluation from quiet to loud is acceptable, but it would be nice to quantify it.

WWW   IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #41 - 11/12/20 at 09:12:03

"You can get an app for smartphones that serves as decimeter."

These apps can be wildly inaccurate. I saw somewhere that iphones have an upper response limit of of their response. I think it was somewhere around 105 db. Android phone apps can be wildly inaccurate because of all the mic and hardware differences between brands and models. If you happen to have a real meter, the app settings can be adjusted to match a known meter.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 11/12/20 at 10:23:29

Are wildly inaccurate as a human ear?

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #43 - 11/12/20 at 10:26:24

Mike, what was the location of your vac gauge on your setup ?

Did you also happen to get data using just one vacuum ?  A 5hp test ?

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #44 - 11/12/20 at 16:29:16

I like the Mac header, but am unable to find a seller to supply just the header itself. I don't want their muffler. Sad

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 18:49:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler Shootout

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.