Taming the Mac Muffler (Read 199 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Taming the Mac Muffler
11/28/20 at 10:49:19

While working on my muffler shootout, I found that the Mac muffler flowed well but it’s too loud.  I decided to see if I could reduce the noise level without restricting flow.  There are at least two versions of the Mac muffler.  A chrome reverse-cone and a black reverse-cone.  I have one of each version.

I measured the outlet of each muffler and they both seemed to have a 1.4” diameter core.  I assumed they were identical except for the exterior coating, one chrome the other flame sprayed black.

Looking into the core of the chrome muffler, I could see a straight-through design with punched louvers that protrude into the flow path.  There was no wool packing surrounding the core.  No wonder these things are loud.

Mac_Core_12_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Taming the Mac Muffler
Reply #1 - 11/28/20 at 10:50:34

Since the inside diameter or the core is only about 1.4” (actually only about 1” in way of the louvers), inserting some sort of baffle inside the core will dramatically restrict flow.  My goal is to retain good flow while reducing noise.  The diameter of the muffler body is also small, and it’s tapered.  There’s not a lot of room to incorporate a free-flowing baffle.  The only option seems to be surrounding the core with wool packing to absorb the acoustic energy.

The mufflers are welded together, and they are manufactured from heavy-gauge steel.  Any mods will require cutting the muffler open.  Cutting requires touching up the exterior coating, so I chose the Black Mac as the most likely candidate for surgery.  I can touch up the cuts with VHT Flame Proof Paint.

I had never run the motorcycle with the Black Mac installed, nor had I flow tested the Black Mac, so I needed to do some baseline tests.  On the test bench, I immediately saw that the chrome Mac and the Black Mac are different animals.  While the chrome Mac pulls 32-1/2” H2O on the bench, the Black Mac only pulls 26” H2O.  I repeated the tests over & over.  Same results.  Why is the Black Mac less restrictive?  I thought they were identical.

I set them side by side.  The Black Mac is about one-inch shorter.  Hmmmm?  I would find out why the Black Mac flowed better when I cut it open.

Original_Mac_vs_Bargain_Basement_Mac_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 11/28/20 at 10:51:39

On the motorcycle, the Black Mac sounded different than the chrome Mac.  The Black Mac made less high-frequency noise.  It was very loud, but not as grating as the chrome Mac.  In terms of volume, it’s totally unreasonable.  As delivered, you really can’t run this thing on public roads.  Here’s a comparison of the noise levels as measured on my iPad with the NIOSH app.  Idle/3000 rpm/4000 rpm.

Chrome Mac:      70/83/86 dB

Black Mac:      73/82/86 db

BTW, I don’t think the NIOSH app is a true indication of exactly how loud these things are.  It’s not calibrated, and the readings weren’t taken in accordance with (IAW) any sort of test specification.  While both mufflers were measured under identical conditions, they weren’t tested IAW a state or federal procedure.  In the real world of my 72-year-old ears, these things are both painfully loud and obnoxious.  I fail to see how Mac can market them as “mufflers”.

So now I had a target.  Reduce the noise levels below 73/82/86 dB without increasing restriction above 26” H2O.

Let’s get started.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 11/28/20 at 10:52:16

Cutting up the muffler requires a lot of crude work.  I didn’t want to damage the flame-spray coating, so I needed a way to hold the work piece without marring the finish.  A piece of aluminum scrap served the purpose.  Once bolted to the muffler, you simply grab the aluminum in a vice.  Solid as a rock.

Holding_Fixture23.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 11/28/20 at 10:52:54

After a good look at the muffler, I decided to use a hole saw to cut through the end cap.  The cavity around the reverse cone is deep, too deep to accommodate a hole saw, so the first thing I had to do was turn the reverse cone into a megaphone.  I marked my saw cut with tape.

Mark_the_cut2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 11/28/20 at 10:53:30

And then lobbed off the reverse cone with a hacksaw.

Finished_cut2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 11/28/20 at 10:54:08

Now there is good access for a hole saw.

Finished_1st_cut2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 11/28/20 at 10:54:51

We’re talkin a BIG hole saw, like 2-1/2”.  It’s gonna want to bite and walk.  A metal plug with a drive-fit was in order.  Set it up with a ¼” pilot hole in the center and drive it into the exit pipe.  It must be tight.

Installed_Plug2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 11/28/20 at 10:55:29

You can see it’s a big saw.

Hole_Saw2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 11/28/20 at 10:56:13

These Ryobi drills are powerful.  When that saw bites, it’s gonna try and rip your hands off.  Make sure the muffler is secure in the vice.  You don’t wanna see it flying across the garage.

Ready_for_Cut_42.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 11/28/20 at 10:57:11

It took about ten minutes to cut completely through the end cap.  It’s very thick metal.  Mac didn’t cheap-out on the steel, they just cheaped-out on the packing.

Finished_Cut_Hole_Saw2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 11/28/20 at 10:57:48

You will need to make an end cap to hold everything in place when you put it back together.  I cut one out of a piece of 3/16” steel plate.  The OD is 3” and ID is 1.62”.  There are four notches to accommodate screws.  I used 10-32 stainless steel screws on mine.

End_Cap_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 11/28/20 at 10:58:25

I was hoping that once I cut through end cap the core would pop out.  No such luck.  The core is welded on the inlet-end too.  This weld must be ground away.  Be careful not to grind through the wall of the muffler.

Baffle_Weld_32.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 11/28/20 at 10:58:59

I used this drill extension with a carbide burr and a grinding stone.  The burr to plunge through the weld, and the stone to smooth off the remnant after the core was out of the way.  I turned them with a drill.  A high-speed grinder runs too fast; you have no control.

Burr_Stone__Extension.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 11/28/20 at 10:59:38

The core came out with a little help from a hammer and pipe-drift.

Baffle_Removed2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 12:05:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Taming the Mac Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.