Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clunky/Tapping engine sound (Read 355 times)
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Clunky/Tapping engine sound
10/17/20 at 09:54:55

Hey any savage gurus know what this sound is? I took it on a long ride to work and stopped at a light and noticed it had a high idle all of a sudden and was also making this sound. It was a hot running engine and was being pushed hard for a good 40min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZrsB1sEKIs

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Clunky/Tapping engine sound
Reply #1 - 10/17/20 at 10:13:04

high idle after a hot run is not unusual.
it will slow down after it cools a bit.

investigate the tapping though.

WWW   IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #2 - 10/17/20 at 12:39:11

that sounds like a wrist pin to me.  you can take a wooden dowel or stethoscope "can be cheap at auto store" and put it against the engine and other side against your ear to help pinpoint  the noise.  if the rockers have worn/backed off it should be coming right out the top of the engine.  If its a wrist pin or piston slap it will be lower, about carb height.  I dont think its a lower rod end as its to slappy sounding.  

Silly question is the oil full?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/18/20 at 10:52:59

My bike developed a knocking sound when it had 400 miles on it - by the time it had 1,200 miles it got incredibly loud.  At higher engine speeds it was not noticeable - at idle it was very loud.

I eventually had to tear down the engine to see what was going on - it turned out the flywheel nut had come loose.  It was a shame that I didn't find it until the engine was out of the frame and the entire top end was removed.

The sound was not isolated to the left side of the engine - the noise created by the flywheel banging around on the crankshaft splines was transmitted through the crank to the engine block, and the sound seemed like it was everywhere!

One other forum member bought a bike with a bad engine knock and proceeded to part a really nice bike out - and then discovered the flywheel nut was loose and the only problem.....unfortunately too much of the bike had been sold off to put it back together!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #4 - 10/21/20 at 20:16:12

Thanks for the replies. Flywheel is on tight and going to check the top end soon. Yes it had oil but wasn't full. Maybe half full. Could it be valves?

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 10/22/20 at 00:01:10

inner/outer header pipe separation?  I need to get mine re-welded.
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
jd290
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brooklyn N.Y.
Reply #6 - 10/25/20 at 14:17:49

New owner of a 1998 Savage here. Had a loud (drilled muffler baffle) exhaust when I purchased the bike that I recently quieted down and now I clearly hear that exact same sound coming from the top of the cylinder. It's identical to video that you posted. Seems to be louder on the left hand side.
So far I've:
Adjusted the valves - no change
Temporarily removed the decompression shaft - no change
Interesting that it started suddenly for you. Have you checked the cam chain adjuster yet? Let us know if you find a possible cause. I'll continue to do the same.

IP Logged
jd290
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brooklyn N.Y.
Reply #7 - 11/12/20 at 09:11:33

Not sure if you have taken off your cylinder head cover yet WunGun but this is what I found under mine. Utter carnage. Like I said , same exact tapping/Pinging noise as your posted video.

DSC_0064.JPG
  IP Logged
jd290
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brooklyn N.Y.
Reply #8 - 11/12/20 at 09:13:01

This is the head cover/Rocker arms

DSC_0053.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 11/12/20 at 09:40:28

Nasty nasty nasty.  😣
And a big OUCH !  😟

IP Logged
jd290
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brooklyn N.Y.
Reply #10 - 11/12/20 at 10:17:24

Yep, can't believe it idling and running as well as it did except for the tapping noise! At the very least this is going to be cyl head, cam and head cover with rockers. Hope it doesn't absolutely require the engine out. I'm working on it outdoors in a parking lot.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 11/12/20 at 17:49:20

Sorry to give you bad news but the engine must come out in order to remove the head.  Your pictures point to an oil problem.  The only place I see any oil is in the head plug.  You really must check your oil system before you light it off again.

Dave had a head assembly for sale.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
jd290
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brooklyn N.Y.
Reply #12 - 11/12/20 at 20:01:25

I wipe it down before taking pictures but definitely going to check for oiling system issues. It leaked oil pretty badly from the head plug so it seems like oil was getting to top end. Only had possession of the bike for about a month now and am thinking the previous owner let it get low on oil. There is a thread somewhere on this forum where some guys were saying you can remove front bottom engine mount and loosen the rear to lower the engine for clearance to remove head. Hope this is true for 1998. Only has 7000 mi. and would like to save it.

IP Logged
niceast
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/12/20 at 20:05:22

jd290 wrote on 11/12/20 at 20:01:25:
I wipe it down before taking pictures but definitely going to check for oiling system issues. It leaked oil pretty badly from the head plug so it seems like oil was getting to top end. Only had possession of the bike for about a month now and am thinking the previous owner let it get low on oil. There is a thread somewhere on this forum where some guys were saying you can remove front bottom engine mount and loosen the rear to lower the engine for clearance to remove head. Hope this is true for 1998. Only has 7000 mi. and would like to save it.

I was able to remove the head without removing the engine. its possible

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #14 - 11/13/20 at 06:05:30

Dave wrote on 10/18/20 at 10:52:59:
I eventually had to tear down the engine to see what was going on - it turned out the flywheel nut had come loose.  It was a shame that I didn't find it until the engine was out of the frame and the entire top end was removed.

Is this a big enough issue that the nut should be checked even if we don't have any noise?  Is this nut easy to get to?  Is the nut Number 9 in the diagram?

Bob
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 01:32:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clunky/Tapping engine sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.