Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Big Bore Engine - Part 3 - Head Cover (Read 209 times)
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Big Bore Engine - Part 3 - Head Cover
Reply #30 - 08/25/20 at 12:55:05

The DR cam has the same power curve as stock, just more of it.  DBM made better than 40 hp with a DR cam and port work, along with some intake and exhaust mods.

All of the performance cams have very similar specs, so power is about the same with any of them. The stock DR cam is nearly identical to the stage 3 cam, so use whichever one that you like.  Both the DR and Stage 3 are drop in replacements.

A big bore along with the above mods gives you even more. But if you are on a tight budget, improving the ports (especially the exhaust), a bigger diameter pipe and less restrictive muffler, airbox and filter mods (and a VM if your budget allows) along with a cam will yield big gains without breaking the bank.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #31 - 08/25/20 at 14:40:38

You can improve efficiency with a cam upgrade and a higher compression piston, and you can still use the stock carb if you wish to save $$.

The Stage 3 is $299 with a refundable core exchange deposit of $100, so $399 total and $100 back upon my receipt of your usable cam core.
The 94mm Wiseco is $199.

Opening the exhaust port a bit is easy to do with a drill and a metal rasp bit and some sanding cones.  You don't necessarily need to go deep inside, just open the outer ring and smooth down the top of the ridge a little behind the outer ring.

If you want a larger header and a good flowing muffler, a proper dyna works very well for the engine, and you can have a header made at a muffler shop for less than ... mine was done 8 years ago I think ...for: less than $20 for 8' of pipe and used 4', and $40 labor for cutting and welding, and that was in the Columbia SC area.  A custom unit will cost $250 for stainless and you've got to send them a pipe to duplicate.

Anyway...
You can improve your engine for not a lot of $$, and it can be done a piece at a time if needed.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 08/25/20 at 15:52:40

Justin, I am in the testing phase of the Big Bore right now.  Still writing up Part 5 of this series.  Part 5 covers assembly & installation.  Part 6 covers test & tune.  Shouldn't take me too long to finish up.  There was a lot to learn and share.  

FWIW, in Part 6 I will try to include my impressions regarding bang for the buck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #33 - 08/25/20 at 16:08:05

This is interesting stuff.

I would think if drilling the oil holes in the cam reduces oil pressure it would make sense to increase the center hole size to insure oil flow to the end of the cam.

On the engine I am working on that was run without oil the two main cam bearing surfaces were only slightly damaged while the steady bearing was completely destroyed and that end of the cam had a groove worn into it. When inspecting it I found it very strange. There was a small amount of oil still in the engine. My guess is the steady bearing had less oil...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 00:17:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Engine - Part 3 - Head Cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.