Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Big Bore Engine - Part 3 - Head Cover (Read 209 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Big Bore Engine - Part 3 - Head Cover
Reply #15 - 08/08/20 at 22:47:45

I have found that a couple of .010” feeler gages (or some shim stock) make installation of the wave-washers a breeze.  Just sandwich the washer between the feelers, then shove the sandwich between the rocker and the head cover.  Once you have the washer in position, hold the edges with your fingers and pull out the first feeler gage.  Lightly push on the shaft until it slides though the center of the washer.  That will hold the washer in place.  Continue to apply light pressure on the shaft and pull out the next feeler.  The shaft will pass through and enter the head cover bore.  Mission accomplished.

Installing_Wave_Washer_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 08/08/20 at 22:48:32

So, this completes Part 3.  The mods described above have been working fine on my Stage II head for the last 4600 miles or so.  No unusual noise.  Valve clearance checks have been fine.  Oil pressure did not change when I drilled the oiling hole for the intake rocker shaft.  Cam lobes look great.  I think these mods improve oiling to some critical areas and should add a little longevity to the valve train.  The heavier springs and high-lift cam will certainly take their toll on valve train life expectancy.  It goes with the territory.  Ya wanna play ya gotta pay.

I hope you find this report informative.  As always, I welcome your questions & comments.  Knowledge is power.

Best regards,

Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #17 - 08/09/20 at 20:04:48

Awesome!
Thanks so much!
I look forward to stealing more of your ideas Smiley

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 08/23/20 at 19:42:33

A forum member brought something to my attention regarding the modifications outlined in this post.

“In your new article you posted, you mentioned drilling the cam lobes for oil holes – you did not mention drilling the center of the cam to make the interior hole the same size as the LS650.”

The member went on to explain:

“I believe the center hole allows oil to pass to the cam chain, and that the DR650 has a smaller hole to limit the oil flow to the cam, and it uses a smaller hole as there may be higher pressure since there are no holes in the cam lobes.  The LS650 needs a bigger hole so the lower pressure oil can flow.”

I am embarrassed to admit that I did not take that hole into consideration.  It’s an important part of the system and I should have been looking at it, especially since I’ve seen it discussed a number of times on this forum.

This is the hole in question.  The stock DR cam is on the left (.060” hole) and the stock LS cam is on the right (.079” hole).

Cams_DR_vs_LS_oil_hole_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 08/23/20 at 19:44:57

In my reply, I stated that I wasn’t sure about the hole in the center of the cam, and that I felt the chain got an adequate dose of lubrication off the primary drive.  Then I rambled on about goofy things like “venting air” and the “the DR’s oil cooler feed comes off the cavity adjacent to the left-hand cam bearing”.

That little hole started to gnaw at me, so I decided it was about time to take a proper look.  I started by doing a google search for “1995 Suzuki DR650 oil system”.  I got this nugget of gold (it’s from Wikipedia).

The Suzuki Advanced Cooling System (SACS) was developed by Suzuki engineer Etsuo Yokouchi in the early 1980s. The system was used extensively on GSXR model bikes from 1985 through 1992. Suzuki continued to use the system in its GSF (Bandit) and GSX (GSX-F, GSX1400, Inazuma) lines until the 2006 model-year and DR650 from 1990 to present. Engines using the SACS system were generally regarded as being very durable.

The SACS system uses high volumes of engine oil aimed at strategic points of the engine, like the top of the combustion chamber, which are not typically well served by air cooling alone. In order to provide enough oil for both cooling and lubrication, the system uses a double-chamber oil pump, using the high-pressure side for lubrication of the parts (crankshaft, connecting rods, valvetrain), while the low-pressure, high-volume side provides oil to the cooling and filtering circuit. The oil removes heat from hot engine parts through direct contact, is pumped away and subsequently routed through the oil filter, followed by routing through an oil cooler before being returned to the main sump.

The cooling issue will be an important topic in future posts on the 97mm Big Bore.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 08/23/20 at 19:46:11

So, I was waaaaay screwy-wrong about that oil cooler feed.  I figured the cooler circuit was handling “unpressurized drain oil” from the head to the sump.  It is actually handling “pressurized cooling oil”.  Oooooops!  That’s a pretty big screw up on my part.  I’m not worthy.  Embarrassed

It was time to put that cylinder head under scrutiny.  The oil flows through the stock LS650 camshaft as shown in this picture.  Please forgive my sloppy arrows.  The stock DR cam doesn’t have holes in the lobes so internal pressure will be higher and the center hole can be smaller.  The thought here is that if you put the holes in the lobes of a DR cam the internal pressure will go down.  If you want to keep the flow the same out the right side of the cam then you need to enlarge the center hole.

Cam_Oil_Path_markup2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 08/23/20 at 19:47:00

When the cam is in the cylinder head and the rubber head plug is in place, there is hardly any space between the head plug and the end of the camshaft.  It looks to me like any oil coming out of the hole in the center of the cam will just squirt into the head plug.

Cam_Oiling_15.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 08/23/20 at 19:48:03

The oil that exits the right side of the camshaft fills a small reservoir adjacent to the steady bearing.  That reservoir of oil keeps the steady bearing wetted with oil.  The steady bearing can’t be pressure fed because it’s only half a bearing.  It serves as a cradle to steady the camshaft during the compression stroke.  During compression both valves are closed and the drive chain pulling down on the right side of the cam will load up the steady bearing.

This is the steady bearing.  The oil reservoir is circled in red.

Steady_Brg_Oil_Reservoir2markup2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 08/23/20 at 19:49:13

I guess some of the oil flying off the right side of the cam may find it’s way to the chain, but if the designers wanted oil on the chain they could simply drill a hole/s in the circumference of the cam, adjacent to the sprocket, between the steady bearing and the sprocket.

So now I believe the question becomes, will the smaller hole provide sufficient lubrication for the steady bearing.  I am humiliated.  How could I have overlooked this obvious question.

Time to look closer at the HammerHead.  It’s a test specimen I use for flow testing, trying various machining ideas (like the jack-bolt), and evaluations like this.  The HammerHead was donated to our cause by Fast650.  Let’s give a shoutout to The Fastman.  The HammerHead was subjected to a massive failure.  Word is that it was operated with zero oil.  That’ll do it every time.

This shows the right-side cam bearing and the steady bearing.  You can see that the cam bearing looks wiped, but the steady bearing is just discolored with a few scratches.

Steady_Bearing_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 08/23/20 at 19:50:08

Let’s zero in on that cam bearing.  Yep, zero oil.  It’s wiped.  Look at how the aluminum is smeared.

Cam_Brg_RH_Wiped.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 08/23/20 at 19:50:48

How does the steady bearing look?  Not too bad.  It appears as if the damage is more on the order of debris from the failure running through the clearance rather than zero lubrication.

Steady_Bearing_13.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 08/23/20 at 19:53:07

I’m still unsure which is better.  Should you enlarge the center hole on a DR650 cam, or leave it as is?  If you enlarge the hole, it will agree with the LS650 design.  I suspect it will increase oil flow through the cam and provide more oil to the steady bearing.  But if you leave the oil hole alone, it will increase oil flow through the cam lobes and provide additional lubrication to the rocker arms.  The rocker arms certainly are subjected to higher loads, especially now with the heavy valve springs and aggressive cam profile.

Using the HammerHead as an example, it appears as if the steady bearing is pretty forgiving.  Looks to me like it can get by just fine on the oil available through the smaller hole in the DR cam.  Up to this point, I haven’t had any problems with the steady bearing.  But there’s a flaw in that mindset.  I don’t know if I have ever run a cam with holes in the cam lobes and the smaller (.060”) hole in the center of the cam.

I have run a stock DR cam with the stock DR center hole and no holes in the lobes.  That worked fine for a long time.

I have run two Web cams intended for the DR650.  I drilled holes in the lobes of both those cams, but I didn’t even look at the center holes other than to make sure they weren’t plugged.  Since I provided Web with LS cores, I might possibly have the larger holes in those Web cams.  It’s also possible that they sent me cams made from DR cores.  I never checked.

This is where the forum comes into play.  Do any of you have experience with running a DR cam with holes drilled in the lobes and the standard .060” center hole?  If so, any problems with that setup?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 08/24/20 at 09:12:37

the system uses a double-chamber oil pump, using the high-pressure side for lubrication of the parts (crankshaft, connecting rods, valvetrain), while the low-pressure, high-volume side provides oil to the cooling and filtering circuit.

Good answer right there..

Dunno how our pump delivers,,

Too bad we dont have bearing shells, like a car crankshaft.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #28 - 08/24/20 at 11:20:45

I've been running the DR cam for about a year now. The hole in the center of the cam was drilled out to .080  No other holes were drilled anywhere. The engine is stock, except for the carb and muffler. Runs great. No strange noise or vibration . Shell T6 syn. Next time I get the cover off, I will inspect it carefully. I have a feeling that I will see everything fine. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 08/25/20 at 11:20:26

What are the gains ffom the DR cam and would it be good with an oversize bore and freed up exhaust and intake?
I THINK I know that answer, but, maybe Im wrong and its up for the job,,
And,, is it less expensive than the Stage 3 cam?
IDK if that cam is even still available,, BUt if I cant get the W on the road, and I cant get that donk in the Savage frame, then Im gonna wanna punch out a jug and get a fat piston in it,, and do the other stuff to make it work out,, so I can haul stuff and shove that windscreen down the road and Go with traffic without feelin like Im guttin my motor,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 08:20:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Engine - Part 3 - Head Cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.