Send Topic Print
Lean Angle? (Read 465 times)
SS65297
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lean Angle?
11/06/10 at 13:11:06

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows the lean angle on these bikes both left/right? I have been looking at other cruisers and trying to get a feel on whether or not the Savage can lean more or less than others out there. I just wonder if I would have to change my habits if my next bike can't quite do what the Savage can. And yes, I like to lean... Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Lean Angle?
Reply #1 - 11/06/10 at 14:16:34

The Savage outperforms all other cruiser type bikes up in the mountains, regardless of displacement.

It is nimble and can negotiate a series of turns faster than any other cruiser.   (bigger does not mean better in the mountains)

Most 400 cc and up pure sports bikes can kick our butts on any form of straight away distance run, but cruisers and non-expertly ridden sports bikes are easy meat in the normal twists and turns that exist up in the mountains.

A good competent 400 cc and up sports bike rider is gone, simply gone and you never catch sight of him again.

Ditto for smaller, lighter bikes like 200 cc singles -- within their top end range they can kick our butts because they are more nimble than the Savage -- but ditto we kick their butts on any form of faster straight away.   It can be give and take up there ..... until a big 85 mph plus straight away comes up anyway.

Virago 250s and Ninja 250s are our nemesis -- we lose to them on turns and and don't make it back up on straight aways as they have equal or superior top end speed to the Savage.

The new class of light dirt bike derived supermotards kick our butts roundedly in all cases if ridden with competence.  A 450 cc supermotard pulls nearly 60 hp and weighs less than a Savage does.   They pull away immediately and we simply never see them again ....  they are busy going on to embarrass the sports bike dudes that left us in the dirt earlier.

The Dragon mountains are a tough place, you win some and you lose some and you can bleed some too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #2 - 11/06/10 at 15:28:56

Here's an 800. They lean pretty good.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 11/06/10 at 18:30:34

While sitting on your driveway take you savage and lean it over right and left till the foot pegs hit the concrete. If you are brave enough to go that far when riding then that is how far you can take you bike. Scrubbing off sidewalls and the ends of footpegs is an art for the fearless.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/06/10 at 19:50:04

My right peg was cut so far back I had to wire the rubber on the peg.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 11/09/10 at 10:53:03

The original question was about lean angle - and a comparison between the Savage and other cruisers.

Lean angle has little to do with top speed or performance. It has a lot to do with how much clearance your hard parts have, how much speed you're carrying around the curve, how your shocks compress, and how you shift your weight when leaning. With that in mind, lean angle is very dependent on the individual rider.

My experience with my Savage was that it was very easy to lean over and drag hard parts. It seemed to have softer suspension and drag at less angle than most other small cruisers and any other sport bike or touring bike. It could lean further than some cruisers and full dressers.

On my Savage, I liked to drag pegs in circles in parking lots. No good reason other than I liked to do it. I would counterweight and go fairly slow. I liked doing this on the Savage because it was light enough that my body weight made it easy to control the angle and at lower speeds I didn't have to worry about the MC sliding out from under me. If this is what you are talking about when you say you like to lean, the Savage is great at it (better than larger heavier MCs).

However, if you are talking about going through curves at high speed, not so much.

« Last Edit: 11/11/10 at 05:33:51 by mornhm - FSO »  
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/09/10 at 11:29:46

Like they been saying, it's the pegs that will tell you when you have maxed out the lean.
The stock pegs hang down pretty far, they are thick top to bottom.  After grinding those to useless, I put on some O-Ring pegs I found on eBay.  Like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S40-SAVAGE-LS650-SUZUKI-BLVD-CHROME-O-RING-FOO...

They are not as thick, so the bike can go over further before something hits.  Then again, these do hang down at a bit of an angle, so maybe it comes out the same?
Now, I tend to hit the heel of my boot before the pegs hit.  But when those pegs do hit.. oh boy.. it really wakes you up.  Steel on pavement really feels weird.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/09/10 at 16:06:54

What stops your lean is not the foot pegs, they will fold up gracefully lifting your foot with them.

What hits "hard" on the right side is the exhaust pipe bracketry on the stock muffler, the acorn nuts on the long through bolts that mount the footpeg/brake casting.

That's if you are running a stock muffler.   Dyna is slightly different.

And, finally ("oops" is really close)  is the acorn nuts, the exhaust header itself and the Dyna muffler on the lower outside (assumes you are braking hard going into a steeply banked Dragon curve).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #8 - 11/10/10 at 05:44:40

Here Is Bigzuk on the dragon,
He has the Best lines and makes leaning look easy. and he don't slow Down

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/10/10 at 15:57:32

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/06/10 at 14:16:34:
The Savage outperforms all other cruiser type bikes up in the mountains, regardless of displacement.

It is nimble and can negotiate a series of turns faster than any other cruiser.   (bigger does not mean better in the mountains)

Most 400 cc and up pure sports bikes can kick our butts on any form of straight away distance run, but cruisers and non-expertly ridden sports bikes are easy meat in the normal twists and turns that exist up in the mountains.

A good competent 400 cc and up sports bike rider is gone, simply gone and you never catch sight of him again.

Ditto for smaller, lighter bikes like 200 cc singles -- within their top end range they can kick our butts because they are more nimble than the Savage -- but ditto we kick their butts on any form of faster straight away.   It can be give and take up there ..... until a big 85 mph plus straight away comes up anyway.

Virago 250s and Ninja 250s are our nemesis -- we lose to them on turns and and don't make it back up on straight aways as they have equal or superior top end speed to the Savage.

The new class of light dirt bike derived supermotards kick our butts roundedly in all cases if ridden with competence.  A 450 cc supermotard pulls nearly 60 hp and weighs less than a Savage does.   They pull away immediately and we simply never see them again ....  they are busy going on to embarrass the sports bike dudes that left us in the dirt earlier.

The Dragon mountains are a tough place, you win some and you lose some and you can bleed some too.

I got the title to my 68 Bonnie TT that says I will eat you alive in the twisties....379lbs with 50hp....I've ridden my buddy's s40 in the same places I've taken my bonnie, no contest. Its just as light, a little more power, plenty of ground clearance, and built to handle. If ya don't like that one, I have a BSA Victor we can try too.
Gotta Knucklehead too....

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 11/10/10 at 17:31:21

Monday, June 27 thru Sunday, July 2
Deal's Gap NC
Go to the top of the Cafe to the permanent sticky about the Dragon run and register your intent to come.

I won't take your Bonnie away from you, I got no lust for English electrics.   I would suggest losing the dig in and die floorboards with some folding footpegs, you will need the space if you come to play with us.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
olddog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/10/10 at 20:21:20

Knee-dragging on a vintage V twin bobber is sorta like french kissing your sister --- it might feel OK --- but it just ain't right !!!
olddog   Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 11/10/10 at 20:22:08

Looks like hes d/shiftin,, havin some Fuuun..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/11/10 at 16:17:20

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/10/10 at 17:31:21:
Monday, June 27 thru Sunday, July 2
Deal's Gap NC
Go to the top of the Cafe to the permanent sticky about the Dragon run and register your intent to come.

I won't take your Bonnie away from you, I got no lust for English electrics.   I would suggest losing the dig in and die floorboards with some folding footpegs, you will need the space if you come to play with us.

Thats just for slow rides.....We plan on running the dragon next spring. We normally take a few trips to Seneca Rocks/Spruce Knob W. Va. I haven't been to the Dragon since I was a teenager and left Clinton,NC

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #14 - 11/11/10 at 18:12:17

SS65297 wrote on 11/06/10 at 13:11:06:
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows the lean angle on these bikes both left/right? I have been looking at other cruisers and trying to get a feel on whether or not the Savage can lean more or less than others out there. I just wonder if I would have to change my habits if my next bike can't quite do what the Savage can. And yes, I like to lean... Thanks for any help.

The max. lean angle on the Savage can be greatly improved by fitting longer shocks.  And as a bonus, the steering sharpens up, so the overall handling is much sportier.  I liked the change.  It went from dragging both sides easily around 15-20mph turns to never dragging.  I am sure you could still drag metal but you'd have to work at it. The eye-to-eye distance of the shocks was around 10.5 or 11 inches, I don't remember exactly.  They were progressive shocks and they rode a lot better than stock.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 23:55:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lean Angle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.