Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pop-Top vs Tight Quench - Wiseco Piston Install (Read 135 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Pop-Top vs Tight Quench - Wiseco Piston Instal
Reply #15 - 03/27/20 at 23:35:28

Kamelryttarn, with .040" quench I estimate you end up with 11.5:1 CR, cranking pressure about 255 psi.  With .060" quench I had about 11:1 CR and 245 psi, too high for pump gas here in Hawaii.

That 95% ethanol blend you mentioned would allow you to run very high CR, most likely around 15:1.  I agree with Armen that 18:1 is probably not doable.  Problem with alcohol is it's so darned corrosive.  It's hydroscopic and sucks up water like crazy.  Your carb and fuel tank will be a corroded mess in no time.  Additionally, you have to really increase the ratio of fuel to air to run straight ethanol.  You would probably end up with A/F ratio well below 10:1.  You will be washing down the cylinder.  I suggest you stick with gasoline.

I don't know all the specifics on European octane ratings, but here we use R+M/2.  We add the research number to the motor number and divide by 2.  So if I am not mistaken, 92 octane here  is equivalent to a higher octane rating in Europe.  I imagine your high octane fuel is probably at least as good as ours.  Once I installed the long winded cam with timing retarded, my tight quench engine ran good on the fuel available here.  But I always had concern over detonation, I knew I was on the ragged edge.  I was willing to run it like that because it made so darned much power.  I just got careless.  You can't be careless when you run on the ragged edge. Wink

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 03/28/20 at 14:59:38

I have a MZ scorpion - Yamaha 5 valve 660 that someone installed a high compression 676 piston in, and I cracked the piston because I didn't know it had high compression piston. Its now getting back together with a 10:1 690 or so.
I had bought another 660 stock 660 this time, and the biggest difference between the 676 high compression that I ran for a few 1000 miles before it blew was actually torque - the high compression bike was actually worse at getting revved up and nearing its redline it was more anaemic - likely cos it didn't have the cams to fill it right nor the jetting - which may have been why I cracked the piston. That bike was always hard hard hard to start.
Anyway I am thinking is it the cams and carbs that get you that extra power or is it the high compression piston.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #17 - 03/28/20 at 20:54:20

Hey Srin,
I was at Daytona in the 80s when the 5 valve Yamahas debuted. They were so fast! Funny thing, in a few years, they weren't. Everyone else took off and they did't get faster.
Kevin Cameron, my fav bike tech writer in the world, spent a lot of time ranting about what a bad design the 5 valve heads were for racing. Part of the problem was that with a high compression piston, the combustion chamber looked like an orange peel. Flame travel was so convoluted that the bikes were running 40 degrees of advance at a time when good 4 valve heads were running less than 30. Needing that much advance was a sure sign things were unhappy in combustionland.
Finally Yamaha ditched the design.
Wonder what other changes the PO made to your motor besides the high compression piston. Prob didn't do much.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 03/29/20 at 07:00:46

The high compression piston was the only change the bike had. I actually like running the airbox, he had a K&N in the airbox, I reverted back to paper. It made better torque but was low on top end revs, it may have had a fatter and taller rear tire causing it to choke up as well. It wasn't wanting to rev basically.
I am reassembling it now with a 692 or some like that CC but 10:1. Will have to finish it when I finish building my addition to my house and getting it here etc.
The stock MZ has a horrible starter clutch issue, someone in 2012 made me the starter clutch for the other one, I gotta get him to make me another and put it on the stock one as well.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 10:04:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pop-Top vs Tight Quench - Wiseco Piston Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.