carb questions (Read 62 times)
Balet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
carb questions
03/25/20 at 13:05:10

I have an 09  bike at sea level..  Took the carb out as main jet blocked,  re jetted the main from 142.5 to 150, and left the pilot jet as it was 52.5.   I also took off the brass cover on the idle mixture screw but have not made adjustments yet
Is it likely I will need to make adjustments to the idle settings as that jet is orig and it idled quite well?
Also the small retaining clip that holds the throttle cable   bend into the carb flew out on the gravel, lost.  . Is there a generic clip that I can buy a an auto store?
What a bear getting that carb in and out those rubber boots, is there a trick slipping it in?  
thanks

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: carb questions
Reply #1 - 03/25/20 at 13:24:50

You may need to make an idle circuit adjustment. It all depends on throttle response and how the engine reacts when you turn the fuel screw.

As far as I know that clip is an OEM part. You can get one on-line at almost any retailer (ronayers.com). You'll spend more for shipping than the actual part. Are you talking about the clip that goes into the slot on part #36 (see link below)? The clip that retains the throttle cable in the clamp? You can make that with some safety wire, or any clip that you can get to stay there. Even the wire that is used to hold a picture frame, twisted at the end would work. But before you buy or make one, get a magnet (like a parts finder wand) and move it just above the ground where you think the original clip went or may be.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32f55f8700232d0b3d7de/carburetor

Carb is easy to remove if you turn it 90 degrees before removing it from the boot. Even easier if you remove the seat and tank.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Balet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #2 - 03/25/20 at 13:55:23

Gary ,  yep, thats the clip, tried magnet trick already but no luck, (what I should have done is place a large towel or sheet under the bike )
When you say idle circuit adjustment, is the idle mixture or idle speed first adjusted?
And I did have the seat and tank off, I prob should have put some vasalene on the boots, just so little back and forth room

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 03/25/20 at 14:18:25

Balet wrote on 03/25/20 at 13:55:23:
I prob should have put some vasalene on the boots, just so little back and forth room

Vasalene, no. WD-40, yes (it evaporates whereas the other stuff either collects dirt, enters the cylinder...or both).

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 03/28/20 at 11:29:27

I use a heat gun for 10 secs to soften the boots, both on the cylinder and filter boot. Works a treat, you don't need much heat for it to work.
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/29/20 at 04:18:36

The rubber carb spigot at the cylinder, and the tube to the air cleaner get stiff as time goes on - new ones are far more pliable.

The spigot at the cylinder will eventually crack from age.

Not sure what is a good replacement interval - but next time you place an order it wouldn't hurt to order some spares while Suzuki is still making Savage parts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 22:54:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.