Send Topic Print
Exhaust Temps (Read 197 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Exhaust Temps
Reply #15 - 03/11/20 at 12:54:59

Would it be possible to remove the washer from the spark plug, install the CHT device, and then reinstall the original washer back onto the spark plug?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 03/11/20 at 13:15:13

I just removed the washer.
They are meant to be permanent but you can unscrew them if you try hard enough.

The sparkplug hole is spotfaced, you may have to flatten a ridge.

WWW   IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #17 - 03/11/20 at 18:10:28

Guys, all this discussion has been interesting and mindboggling to me, though I did learn some interesting things and gained some insite about running lean and rich. My original inquiry was about using some ceramic packing in an exhaust baffle that is inserted in a connector pipe btween the rear of the header and the muffler. I have a VooDoo slash cut on my '03', to quiet it and improve the sound I installed a 4" baffle just on the end of the connector pipe from the header. I am thinking of replacing the 4" baffle with a slight longer one that I could partially packed with some of the ceramic insulation. Currently the baffles in the VooDoo and the short baffle I added are just bent metal internal tabs. It's basically straight pass with deflectors.

It is hoped to provide a bit more restriction and possible a little more back pressure. As it stands now when bike has an occasional backfire, which they do, I have some blue flame shooting from the back of muffler. This worries me as it would not be desirable when I shut the bike down if at a gas pump and it's a sure fire way to get pulled over if riding at night.

Here's a picture of connector with current baffle. Replacemnet would be a perforarted baffle with the packing, replacing it on the connector.

IMG_4829_001.JPG
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 03/12/20 at 13:25:25

SoC, please accept my apology for hijacking your post.  I lost sight of the original intent.  It wasn't cool.  Maybe I can shed a little light on your question.

I must start by asking you some questions so I am sure that I understand.  Are you thinking of putting the ceramic packing inside of that baffle, like this?

Packing_1.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 03/12/20 at 13:29:23

If that's what you are thinking about doing, putting the packing material inside of the baffle, it's not gonna work too well.  Muffler packing materials are intended to be situated around a perforated tube, they go around the tube, not inside.  It would look like this.

Packing_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 03/12/20 at 13:40:27

Based on your picture, I must assume that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to assemble your muffler and "connector pipe" with packing material wrapped around the outside of the baffle.

Muffler packing material (glass, ceramic, or stainless steel wool) reduces noise through absorption/attenuation, not restriction.  It is not intended for the hot gases to pass through the packing.  The packing material is usually wrapped around a perforated tube like this.  The hot gasses pass through the center of the tube unrestricted, while some of the acoustic energy transfers through the perforations and into the surrounding packing, where the enrgy is absorbed and attenuated.

Attenuator_Tube_Modified_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 03/12/20 at 13:51:48

I think your packing will handle the heat just fine, but I doubt that it will hold up to the force of the hot gasses trying to plow through the packing.  Even if it does stand up to the force of the hot gas, it will choke off the exhaust system.

To give you an idea of what sort of material can handle the heat in that area, I seal all my muffler to header joints with Permatex Optimum Grey silicone sealant.  It is rated at a maximum of 700 degrees (F) intermittent.  That stuff holds up just fine and I am applying it in exactly the area you are concerned about.

I doubt that you have any interest in running the stock muffler.  I have been able to make better than 40 horsepower with a modified stock muffler, and it is very quiet.  But this old post might give you some ideas for taming the roar in your VooDoo Slash Cut.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1526453881

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #22 - 03/12/20 at 17:51:28

First off, not a hi-jack, more an education. You learn some interesting technical stuff and also how little you know and understand.

But to my baffle, it would not be the one shown, it would be replaced with a 1 5/8" OD perferated baffled that is cimped down and welded at end. I was not thinking of trying some internal packing in the current one.

As for the current baffle, there is a possibility of putting packing on outside, concern is keeping the packing in place and not blowing it through.

It's not really a noise issue, the combo of the addtional baffle with the baffling in the VooDoo creates a nice low rumble at idle that is loudish, but not obnoxious when you are on throttle. In end it is a direct pass through, with just tabs blocking/redirecting flow. They are aligned, as I set it up, so you cannot see through them if you look into it from the end where it attaches to header.

Like mentioned my bigger concern is back pressure and when you have an occasional backfire, like when you dump throatle after hard excelleration it shots some blue flame out the back. Occasionally when I shut bike down it backfires, it did it with the stock muffler also. I  have concern say if I go to get gas and shut bike down at a gas pump and it shots some flame out the rear, not a great spot for that sort of thing to happen.

My thoght was with a littlemore back pressure and a bit of blockage it might help curtail that.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 03/19/20 at 02:45:51

The fact that you had the backfire issue even with the stock muffler indicates that backpressure is not your issue.  Hard to get more backpressure than the stock muffler.  The afterfire is a known problem, and it certainly does occur even with the stock, restrictive muffler.  I think you should focus on carburetion.  Raise your idle speed and fatten up the low speed circuit.

When you say that your 1-5/8" baffle will have the end "crimped down and welded", is your intent to direct the exhaust gas flow through the perforations and packing?  I don't think the packing is intended to have the gases flowing through, it's not intended to be part of the flow patch, it's intended to surround the flow path.  Howzabout doing a sketch of your baffle idea and posting it.

Regarding all the hullabalou pertaining to EGT and LOP/ROP, my good buddy Atomic Tom from San Diego sent me this fabulous link on adjusting air fuel ratio on an airplane.  It's a great video and I think many of us can learn a lot from it.  It wont help with your muffler issue but it's so informative that I had to share.

https://youtu.be/h3bATVXMHQg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #24 - 03/19/20 at 06:02:31

That is a good video. I can't get my RV6 to run LOP. Whether it's the high compression pistons, the ignition advance, the ram air - it's probably all of it - the engine likes to run at best power. From my experience, fuel injected engines can be easily run LOP, but carb'ed engines not so much. The fuel metering is not evenly distributed...not even close.  My next plane will be FADEC.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 03/19/20 at 10:44:00

I’ve used the same type baffle you pictured near the top of the page many times over the years.  I had always installed mine with the punch points of the baffle downwind.  You have yours opposite.  If you want more back pressure in the exhaust you can just bend the punch points down a little, like 1/4” movement at the points, and it will make a difference.  Adjust as desired.
Backfiring, as noted already, is a carb tuning issue with help from the exhaust.

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #26 - 03/19/20 at 12:46:11

Thanks for all the replies. I do know there is probably some issue with carb and jetting. In fact stop yesterday at one of the indenpdent local shops and discussion with the owner (who worked at the local Suzuki dealer for years) did confirm that. Basically he conveyed the same as DragBike Mike. There is room for me to install some packing around exterior of the current baffle, question is how to hold packing in place? I do have stainless cable ties, I was wondering about possibly a perferated baffle, like pictured with some packing in it. I have since found a couple of other interesting possibilities looking online.

This muffler, baffle combo does not create a lot of resistence to exhaust flow. The combo surprisingly is not excessively loud. My wife pulled up unbeknownst to her next to me at a traffic light one evening and her comment later was she did not find it objectionally loud, but loud enough that she did take notice of a motorcycle when she stopped at light.

Baffle.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 03/20/20 at 03:03:59

It's still unclear to me why you want to crimp and weld the end.  A sketch would be helpful, maybe with some arrows and notes that show how you intend the hot gas to flow through the baffle.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 22:56:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Temps

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.