Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bought another S40 today... (Read 225 times)
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Bought another S40 today...
02/19/20 at 15:26:42

I bought a 96 Savage 650 three weeks or so ago for $600...I have been working on it since and decided it was too much work and uncertainty to get it all fixed up.  It has a slipping clutch, busted speedometer, absent left  side panel,no battery cover on right side, needing new rear brake pads (end of adjustment limit)seat foam is squishy and it goes on and on and on.  Engine seems very sound, however.  StewMills kindly donated a nice rear tire for cost of shipping.  

Today I came upon a 2009 with just 3000 miles on it and a new rear tire and tube ....I got it for $1850.  Paint is perfect...mechanically it is very sound.  Rides very well.  Very, very peppy and no slipping clutch.   It needs a new front tire (age.  2008 build date) and a battery cover...other than that it is fabulous as I see it.

I will let you know how it is going in a week or so.  

I will fix up the old one to a degree and sell it and  provide an allowance for anything I don't get fixed properly... Smiley
Why I didn't wait and buy a better one to begin with?  No rational explanation...

Bob
84 and still riding
2009 S40 650, and Rebel 250
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Re: Bought another S40 today...
Reply #1 - 02/20/20 at 06:34:16

The rational explanation is $600 is still a good deal for a mostly complete savage. They are easy to work on, parts are readily available, and the savage has an amazing support community here. Those are all the reasons you didn't buy a better one to begin with. And "better" is subjective anyway, I would prefer the cheap fixer upper, then I could make it exactly what I want and not feel bad about boogering with a mechanically and cosmetically perfectly good bike.

Congrats all the same, enjoy the ride.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 02/20/20 at 07:45:31

Let us know what parts you might need to bring the old one back to enough life to get it off your hands. I have some miscellaneous things laying around, but the battery cover is always lost and not many of those around.

Define left side panel? If you mean the little triangular tin, I have that. It'll cost you shipping, plus a new pair of thick leather gloves ( Grin  Grin Grin see my post in the cafe about guards).

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Reply #3 - 02/21/20 at 08:03:19

Thanks, guys...Yes, Stew, I need the "triangular" piece that fits on the left side of the bike.  Let me know the tariff on the shipping and new leather gloves and I'll be glad to send my check....

The old bike appears to have the "base" of the sissy bar but no sissy bar metal frame or backrest.  Would be nice to have if someone has one to sell.  The part needed is bolted into what I referred to as the "base."  

The heavy duty clutch springs and new clutch cover gasket have arrived at the dealer and I will pick them up later today....I am confident that I can handle replacing the springs as I did it once on a Vstar 650,  (It was tedious, especially getting the very flimsy new gasket to seat. )  If that eliminates the slipping clutch, then that would prove to be the removal of the single long pole left in the tent.  After that likely needs new rear brake pads, and new-to-me rear tire and new tube installed.  Another thing needed is a working speedometer.  It may or may not work...I found the cable was disconnected from the speedometer under that gas tank..when I use up or drain the gas tank  and hook it up and see if it works.  

Bob
84 and still riding
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 02/21/20 at 08:35:36

The base is what we call the pillions.  Some bikes were made with the pillions that accept the sissy bar and others were made smooth without.  You have to take the pillions off, bolt on the sissy bar from the inside, and then reinstall the three attached parts at once.

I will dig up that left side tin this weekend. It is painted from the PO so you would need to probably spray it.  I will post a pic.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Reply #5 - 02/21/20 at 14:52:19

Wow,,thank you, Stew, so very much...

Got all the paperwork and inspection done on the new-to-me  S40 bike today:
License plate, inspection, insurance.  Also got spare keys made.

Progress.

Bob
84 and still riding
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 02/21/20 at 14:56:44

Take off the tail light cover, electrical tape a spare key to the bottom of the housing inside, cover back on.  Will never be seen. If you are ever out and lose your keys all you need is a philips screwdriver or good pocket knife to get you key. If you have bags, just keep a screwdriver in there.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
tophowe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/21/20 at 19:34:29

They are great little bikes with only a handful of shortcomings that are easily fixed.  Congratulations

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 02/22/20 at 07:50:51

Tins and cafe seat, appears hand made fiberglass. Stickers seem to come off ok and not clear costed on, but tins were likely rattle can painted satinish black.

20200222_094452.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Reply #9 - 02/23/20 at 11:33:09

Stew that is a nice array of tins and seat.  Neat seat customizing...

I'd like to buy the left side triangular "cover" if you care to let it go..

Thank you, much..

Bob
84 and still riding
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 02/24/20 at 07:33:18

Bob gets the left side cover. Others are available if someone needs it. I didn't make this stuff...came with a lot of parts donated to me from a project bike tear down.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 02/24/20 at 07:37:25

stewmills wrote on 02/24/20 at 07:33:18:
Bob gets the left side cover. Others are available if someone needs it. I didn't make this stuff...came with a lot of parts donated to me from a project bike tear down.

How much for the café seat ?
Thanks.
Srinath.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 02/24/20 at 20:10:09

srinath wrote on 02/24/20 at 07:37:25:
stewmills wrote on 02/24/20 at 07:33:18:

How much for the café seat ?
Thanks.
Srinath.

PM Sent

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Reply #13 - 02/28/20 at 05:01:00

Kudos to StewMills as the left side cover arrived at my door yesterday..
The weather has been quite chilly and I have not been working on my older Savage due to that.  Soon enough we will be having some nicer days here in North Carolina..

Bob
84 and still riding
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
Bokobob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gastonia, NC
Reply #14 - 03/17/20 at 12:59:09

I have two thumper 650s..  Today I got a new Harley muffler put on the old one, replacing the juryrigged one that the PO had put on...The new one looks quite trim and sounds fine.  Next fix-its will be to have new rear tire and tube installed; take off right side engine cover and replace clutch springs to (I Hope) stop slight clutch slippage which is already a bit better since changing to motorcycle specific oil; then install replacement speedo and cable.  After that will put it on the market as I also have a newer one in nice cosmetic shape and ridden only 3300 miles.  On the newer one will have the seat "refoamed" at MeanCity Cycles in Maiden, North Carolina.  (Make Appointment and ride in)...Still uncertain if will keep or sell very nice Honda Rebel 250 with Corbin seat.

Bob
84 and still riding
Gastonia, NC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 05:05:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bought another S40 today...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.