Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Uni Pod Filter pics (Read 209 times)
d3adrock

Uni Pod Filter pics
03/01/20 at 15:00:40

Hi, I'm debating removing the airbox and replacing with a uni pod filter. Does anyone have any pics? Is it messy with no airbox?
If anyone has any pics please share! Thanks!

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Re: Uni Pod Filter pics
Reply #1 - 03/01/20 at 17:24:24

Not too stock otherwise though. But maybe gives you a little bit of an idea.

airbox.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #2 - 03/04/20 at 06:20:05

I use the rubber intact track with a PVC elbow to the filter.
I think it is better to keep the smooth, long intake track than to just fit the filter to the carb.

Savage_air_filter.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 03/06/20 at 11:56:32

d3adrock, are you removing the airbox for appearance or do you want to go to the pod filter for performance.  If you are looking to improve performance, the stock airbox can be modified to accept the cylindrical filter.  It allows retention of the stock cosmetic tins on both sides, and also stock mounting for the ignitor unit.

I installed a K&N 3.5" x 5" cylindrical filter (similar to your Uni).  It flows significantly better than the stock airbox with flat panel K&N filter.  The airbox setup looks absolutely stock.  Servicing the filter is super easy and flow is off-the-hook good.  Downside, it's noisy, but you will be lookin at a lot of noise with that Uni no matter how you install it.

It's a dirt cheap install.  A 2" ABS street elbow and a short section of 2" ABS pipe.  That's about it.  You do have to cut up the airbox.

This is the filter and pipe.

KN_3_5_x_5_on_Elbow_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 03/06/20 at 11:59:38

It sits in the airbox as shown here.  You have to cut out sections of the interior of the airbox (the area where the flat panel filter seats) and a small section at the bottom rear of the airbox.  It's easy.

KN_3_5_x_5_Mod_4_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 03/06/20 at 12:01:46

This is what the interior of the airbox looks like.  Sorry, the pic ain't the greatest.

Modified_Airbox_Top_2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 03/06/20 at 12:03:01

This view shows how the filter situates in the airbox.

KN_3_5_x_5_Mod_7_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 03/06/20 at 12:05:57

You can see from this right-side view that it looks stock.

3_5_x_5_KN_Airbox_Mod_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 03/06/20 at 12:07:55

And from the left it looks stock too.

3_5_x_5_KN_Airbox_Mod_4_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 03/06/20 at 12:11:06

I tested it on my little flow bench and, as I recall, I picked up about 8 cfm.  That's significant.

KN_Cyl_Filter_Setup_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #10 - 03/06/20 at 12:50:00

Thank you so much for that. I was actually looking at upgrading for a bit of both. After some consideration (and the realization that i would have to move that starter box) i decided i prefer the look of stock. As for performance, i might very well do what you did there, although im hesitant to cut up my airbox. One question i have would be, is it really necessary to get more airflow? Is it that constrictive as is? I am very lazy and would prefer to do nothing since it doesnt affect it asthetically, however since im doing a bunch of performance mods (exhaust, cams, hi-comp piston, vm carb) is it really necesarry to mod the airbox? Ill do it if i have to for noticeable HP, but if it's negligible id prefer to be lazy. What do you think? Thanks!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 03/06/20 at 13:16:51

IMHO, a bike with no side covers and an open frame triangle is a clear sign that it was cobbled up in someone's yard - which of course they wear on their sleeve calling themselves Yard built and blue collar etc.
To that end, the K&N in airbox and the long intake tube etc etc along with that flat slide carb give me new ideas. Fantastic.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 03/06/20 at 13:33:21

d3adrock wrote:  "One question i have would be, is it really necessary to get more airflow?"     and     "however since im doing a bunch of performance mods (exhaust, cams, hi-comp piston, vm carb) is it really necesarry to mod the airbox?"

Please think about those questions and what you are planning to do.  

The performance of your engine is tied directly to how much air it can move through the combustion chamber.  You add fuel in proportion to the air.  More air means you can add more fuel.  Less air means you have to take away fuel.  It's very easy to add fuel.  It's much harder to add air.  You only have atmospheric pressure driving the air into the engine, about 14.7 psi.

Your plans to change the camshaft, carburetor, and exhaust are intended to move more air through your engine, and the Wiseco piston is intended to compress the air more than the stock piston.  It really would be counterproductive to improve airflow downstream of the air filter but not improve airflow through the filter.  It's as if you are trying to suffocate the thing by placing a pillow over it's mouth and nose.

Generally, you pick the low hanging fruit first.  Improve the easy stuff.  That would be air box and exhaust system.  They don't require any engine surgery.

You can amp up airflow through the airbox with a few simple mods that are free.  Pull out the snorkel and remove the plastic cover on the right side of the airbox.  Even with the stock air filter element, those changes will yield big flow improvements.  Installing a K&N flat panel filter will amp things up even more.  But you already have the UNI filter, and it flows real good.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1523302904

You absolutely want your airbox/filter setup to complement the other enhancements you intend to implement.  You really want a airbox/filter setup that will flow more air than the engine can use, not less.

This other old post might also be useful.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1543600189

Keep in mind, power is all about air.  Most of the high performance upgrades commonly used are intended to get more fresh air into the cylinder.  Larger carburetors, trick intake manifolds, ported heads, exhaust headers, free flowing mufflers, etc.  They all improve the flow of fresh air into the engine's cylinder.  

SUPERCHARGER!  Think about that word.  Does a supercharger force more fuel into a cylinder, or does it force more air into a cylinder?  TURBOCHARGER!  Same question.  Nitrous OXIDE injection.  Oxygen rich cryogenic liquid sprayed directly into the intake manifold.  All these power adders try to accomplish the same thing.  Get more air/oxygen into the cylinder.  It's all about the air.  More air = more power potential.  Once you have the air it's easy to add the fuel in correct proportion.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #13 - 03/06/20 at 13:44:17

That makes allot of sense. I will definitely be removing the snorkel in that case. When you say remove the side cover, do you mean the whole side cover that screws on? Or the hole in the sidecover mod? (PS I dont mind added noise, I use earplugs)

IP Logged
TheBrendan312
YaBB Newbies

I understand
everything about
nothing

Reply #14 - 03/10/20 at 19:30:56

Hey Mike, do you happen to have a part number on that air filter?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 03:19:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Uni Pod Filter pics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.