Air Filter Flow Test (Read 489 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Air Filter Flow Test
11/30/18 at 09:49:49

This is a long post with lots of pictures.  Please hold off on comments until I make the final entry.  I will make it evident when I have made the final entry.

This is a test of the three air filter elements currently available for the LS650 airbox.  As far as I know, the only elements available are the stock Suzuki element, the K&N element, and a hybrid element constructed from the stock element frame filled with a product called Polyi-fil Nu Foam.  The poly-fil product is manufactured by Fairfield industries in Danbury, CT.

I had the original OEM filter from my 2016 LS650.  It has about 1000 miles on it and is pretty much in new condition.  I removed the K&N element from my bike, so I could use it for the test.  It has about 1200 miles on it and is also in new condition.  I purchased the Poly-fil Nu Foam from Amazon.  I made sure to get the exact product spelled out in other posts on this forum.  It comes in 16” x 16” x 1” thick sheets.  It is described as “densified polyester”, part/product number DB1612, and costs about $20 for a 2 pack.  You can make a lot of filters with a 2 pack.

The stock filter is on the left, K&N in the middle, and the poly-fil material on the right.

The_Contenders_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Air Filter Flow Test
Reply #1 - 11/30/18 at 09:51:20

After I removed my K&N, I took a swipe on the downstream side of my airbox to check how well the K&N was cleaning things up.

Looks like the K&N is doing a good job.  There was virtually no sign of any sort of dirt.

Swipe_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 11/30/18 at 09:54:11

The stock filter is intended to run dry.  The K&N is an oiled gauze filter and the element I tested had the as-delivered oil charge.  The poly-fil element is supposed to be oiled with Mazola canola oil spray.  I couldn’t find Mazola, so I used another product that is 100% canola oil.  I also tested the poly-fil using K&N filter oil to see if it made any difference since it’s an oil specifically intended for air filters.

Never heard of Gold Emblem but id does say 100% canola oil.  Can’t get any more canola than that.

Canola_Spray_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 11/30/18 at 09:55:20

Here we have the standard K&N filter oil.  I would have preferred the aerosol spray, but the speed shop only had this.  I applied it with a brush and it seemed to cover and penetrate OK.

KN_Oil.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 11/30/18 at 09:57:36

I performed the tests using my budget flow bench.  I knew the flow bench would have a very hard time keeping up with air filter elements. The filter elements are intended to flow big numbers and offer almost no restriction.  I was hoping I could achieve a test pressure of 5” H2O so that I could use the conversion tables to convert to 15” H2O, which would give us an idea of the actual flow in CFM.  As it turned out, 5” H2O was way too ambitious.  No way I could pull that sort of depression with my little bench.

The stock element and the K&N element were simple to mount on the flow bench.  I made a base frame of the correct dimensions and attached/sealed it to the top flange of the bench with latex calking.  Then I placed the element under test onto the base frame and tied it down to make a good seal.  For the poly-fil material, I made a mock filter frame with a screen bottom (just like the stock frame).  The opening in the mock frame is the same size as the opening in the stock frame.

This is the test fixture assembly.  It mounts on the flow bench and the filter assemblies are placed on the fixture.

Test_fixture_assembly.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 11/30/18 at 09:59:08

This is the mock frame for the poly-fil material.  It has a screen across the bottom just like the stock frame.  The screen is sealed to the wood with clear latex calking.

Poly-fil_frame_underside.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 11/30/18 at 10:00:16

The bottom of the frame has foam sealing tape applied to help make the seal between the frame and test fixture.  This photo shows a chunk of the poly-fil installed in the frame.

Poly-fil_installed_in_test_frame.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 11/30/18 at 10:01:24

This photo shows the stock element installed on the rig.  It’s held down by a screw on one side, and a zip tie with small clamp on the other.

Stock_Elemet_installed_on_rig.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 11/30/18 at 10:02:17

This shows the K&N element installed on the test fixture.  It’s held down by nylon cord.  It should be noted that none of the elements really needed to be held down.  They all have some sort of soft, compliant sealing mechanism incorporated in the base, and once you fire up the vacuum they pretty much seal on their own, but I wanted to be sure the joints were tight with no leakage.

KN_Element_under_test.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 11/30/18 at 10:03:25

This shows the poly-fil frame installed on the test fixture.

Poly-fil_frame_installed.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 11/30/18 at 10:04:56

The poly-fil would be tested dry, with canola oil, and with K&N oil.  I oiled up two poly-fil inserts 24 hours before the test and let them sit so that the oil had time to disperse through the filter.

This is how the canola oil appeared before testing.  Oil was only applied to the top and sides of the filter.  The bottom was left dry.

Canola_Oil_Topside.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 11/30/18 at 10:05:45

As you can see, the underside was dry.

Canola_Oil_Underside.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 11/30/18 at 10:06:47

Same process for the K&N oil, except I had to brush it on.  Bottom side was also left dry.

KN_Oil_Top_Side.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 11/30/18 at 10:08:29

I started the test using a 51.85mm orifice which is rated 209 CFM @ 15” H2O.  As I said, I was hoping I would have at least enough restriction to test @ 5” H2O and then convert the data.  I wasn’t able to achieve 5” H20 test pressure.  There just isn’t enough restriction.  So, I started trying to test at the maximum depression I could achieve.  At first, that seemed to be working OK, but then I started having trouble with repeatability.  As the day wore on, and the temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure changed, the test results changed.  I was frustrated, so I sat down and thought things out.  

The main reason I built this contraption was to be able to test components on a level playing field.  Always test at the same pressure from one test piece to another.  Then it dawned on me, find out which element had the lowest depression at full flow, and then test each filter at that pressure.  If you have to apply a higher test pressure to achieve the same flow, the filter under test obviously doesn’t perform as well.  Note that on this test, when I use the term “test pressure”, it refers to a negative value (vacuum).

So, I started over.  I tested each filter with all bleed valves closed to find out which one resulted in the smallest test pressure.  I did baseline runs using the 51.85mm orifice on all the filter elements to determine which element resulted in the lowest pressure.  Then I did a single run using a 42.38mm orifice on the best performing element.  I felt that two sets of data would allow cross checks to make sure things made sense.  The K&N pulled the smallest test pressure, so it was already evident which element performs best.  But I wanted to practice and learn, so I continued with the full test.

Full Pull Test Pressures (51.85mm orifice, all bleeds closed)

Stock:                  1-7/8” H2O
K&N:                          1” H2O
Poly-fil dry:            2” H2O
Poly-fil canola oil:      2-3/4” H2O
Pol-fil K&N oil:            2-1/2” H2O

Full Pull Test Pressures (42.38mm orifice, all bleeds closed)

K&N:                          ¾” H2O

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 11/30/18 at 10:17:23

Time to start the real testing.  With the 51.85mm orifice, each element was tested @ 1” H2O.  With the 42.38mm orifice, each element was tested @ ¾” H2O.  Under these conditions, we get readouts in percent off the inclined scale.  That allows a good comparison from one element to the other.

Test with 51.85mm orifice @ 1” H2O

Stock:                  45%
K&N:                  70%
Poly-fil dry:            45%
Poly-fil canola oil:      36%
Poly-fil K&N oil:            38%

Test with 42.38mm orifice @ ¾” H2O

Stock:                  58%
K&N:                  98%
Poly-fil dry:            57%
Poly-fil canola oil:      47%
Poly-fil K&N oil:            50%