Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
95 build (Read 377 times)
Steve1980
YaBB Newbies

georgia
95 build
11/08/19 at 08:28:22

I've been lurking around the forum for a while now and I figured I would make a post about my savage build so, here it is.

I never took any before pictures of the bike but I'm pretty sure you all know what they look like. It's a 95 model, I bought it from a local guy for $250. It had 6200 miles on It and all it needed was a battery, I installed one and rode it for a few weeks with no issues at all. I thought it would make a good candidate to build something cool out of.

removing head tube. I have to admit, I was pretty nervous cutting up a perfectly fine bike.

I contacted voodoo vintage about building me an mk4 frame, mailed them my head tube and a little while later this showed up at door

I found a vs800 front end with 21" wheel on ebay and pulled the trigger. I also picked up a 2" fork lowering kit from progressive suspension and installed the setup onto the frame with some fresh ball bearings from all balls. Got front and rear sprockets from a dirtbike for a chain conversion, pretty sweet!

time to remove this engine and electrical junk!

sending this stuff to the scrap pile along with the rest of the junk I won't be using

the engine slid right into place and I picked up a billet aluminum electronics box that will hold the battery and other electronics. I will end up modifying this for a perfect fit. It is made to be used with an anti gravity 8 cell battery so I got one of those too. i also mocked up a biltwell seat with 3" springs, a lowbrow tank and some random clip ons I had laying around. Cognito moto is making me a custom billet top triple tree clamp and hopefully it will be here soon. The stock savage headlight bolts right up to the vs800 front end and picked up a ryca header

put a bigger rear tire onto the savage rear wheel, 150/90 15. modified a led sled customs rear fender and got a chain tensioner from monster craftsman. This is how it sits right now. Everything is just mocked up, i need to take a couple links out of the chain, figure out exactly where the wheel will sit so I can weld up my fender mounts. There will be no front brake (I know how you guys just love that LOL), no front fender or turn signals, also toying with the idea of an auto clutch so I can run a jockey shifter, we'll see though. I also have a set of tc bros controls that I need to weld up once all the other stuff is figured out. going to modify the fuel tank mounting tabs, weld on my tag bracket and install my 32 ford style brake light

so, what do you guys think?

« Last Edit: 11/08/19 at 10:53:21 by Steve1980 »  
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: 95 build
Reply #1 - 11/08/19 at 08:37:22

Cool project. I'm always amazed at what people see (or want to see) when they look at a run-of-the-mill Savage.

Did VooDoo get the engine mounts correct on the frame or did you do some secondary welding there?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Steve1980
YaBB Newbies

georgia
Reply #2 - 11/08/19 at 08:45:26

the engine mounts were perfectly placed, Michael did and awesome job

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 11/08/19 at 09:08:55

That's awesome!

Like Gary,  I love seeing what others do with these bikes.  I thought about something like that but with a skinny old school 19" rear hoop.  I forget which frame I was looking at.

IP Logged
Steve1980
YaBB Newbies

georgia
Reply #4 - 11/08/19 at 09:33:16

thanks! my original plan was to go a whole different route but I had a change of hart. One thing I originally was thinking about was a 21" front and rear wheel using a voodoo model 6. I may still do that but on a different build

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 11/08/19 at 10:52:40

Very cool , keep the pics coming.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 11/08/19 at 16:12:17

Nice work

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 11/08/19 at 23:16:34

Very cool project Steve.  I'm thinkin it will be the slickest ride in town.  Cool

How much fuel does the tank hold?

Why does it have a chain tensioner?  Is it to keep the slack side of the chain from rubbing on the frame?  Since its a rigid, I figured it wouldn't need a tensioner.

Are you planning on forward controls or mid controls?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Steve1980
YaBB Newbies

georgia
Reply #8 - 11/09/19 at 04:59:30

Thanks! The tank holds 2 gallons. I need to use the chain tensioner to clear the electronics box. As of right now, I'm undecided on the controls. I've mocked up both and mid controls feel so much better than forward controls because of the riding position with the clip on bars. I've been kicking around the idea of putting different bars on, like a mini ape or rabbit ear style. If I do change to a more traditional chopper style bar, I will go with forward controls.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 11/28/19 at 14:15:28

Steve1980 - I'd be interested in those parts you weren't using. Tank especially.
I'm next door, in SC, Pickup and beer $$$ or the real deal - heck I have some highly illegal beer->whiskey concoction I'd be happy to share (both the secret and a 1/2).
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #10 - 11/29/19 at 15:04:45

Steve; can you tell me the attraction of a hardtail? never been able to figure that out.
cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 11/29/19 at 17:18:20

IMHO its nice and clean, belt drive almost is made for hard tail.

The seat being suspended allows you to get by with suspending the minimum for comfort.
What I find pretty hard to wrap my head around is the side mount license plate phenomenon. Not even in these home/garage builds, but the 250K builds for Shaq or who ever by OCC etc on TV.

Its almost like they spend weeks and weeks designing and building a 250K bike and they "forgot" it needs a plate, and when faced with the plate they go … "omg omg omg we forgot it needs a plate, where do we put this, where do we put this, lets slap it on the axle nut. Whew dodged a bullet"

Makes you wonder what else they forgot LOL.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Steve1980
YaBB Newbies

georgia
Reply #12 - 11/30/19 at 10:12:23

Srinath, most of the things went to the scrap yard with some other metal I had. I do have the tank and the front end, wheel included. Honestly, you can have them for free. Idk if it's worth the drive though, I could ship them to you if you want to pay for shipping, I'll have to figure out how much that would be. I'll get a couple pictures of the tank in a few as it does have a small ding on it if I remeber....

As far as the hardtail frame, I just like the look. And the plate bracket is also the brake light bracket and will be welded onto the frame. I didn't want the light or tag anywhere else as I don't think it would look right.

I have also decided to go with different bars. Will post picks when I get them on.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 11/30/19 at 10:24:38

Steve1980 wrote on 11/30/19 at 10:12:23:
Srinath, most of the things went to the scrap yard with some other metal I had. I do have the tank and the front end, wheel included. Honestly, you can have them for free. Idk if it's worth the drive though, I could ship them to you if you want to pay for shipping, I'll have to figure out how much that would be. I'll get a couple pictures of the tank in a few as it does have a small ding on it if I remeber....

As far as the hardtail frame, I just like the look. And the plate bracket is also the brake light bracket and will be welded onto the frame. I didn't want the light or tag anywhere else as I don't think it would look right.

I have also decided to go with different bars. Will post picks when I get them on.

Oooo my man, I will bring over a mason jar of the finest hooch this side of boston harbor in return for the parts, shaking your hand and looking over that bike - (and measure a bunch of crap) - I can likely help you get some better some or other out of it without changing the look. I hope to add to the project. I hope.
I am in Columbia SC, seriously a GA run is under 45 mins, atl is about 90.
Seriously, the hooch is what is called "craft whiskey from craft beer" (trust me, that's a thing now - and I used Devils backbone's maibock to make it) Though I also have made em out of sam adams winter lager, summer ale (nope not as good) and 76 - darn fine too)

I need a tank to dent - yes - one I need to dent, but I have one that's dented wrong. So I will dent it more, but if I hate it, need a red tank I will use instead.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Steve1980
YaBB Newbies

georgia
Reply #14 - 11/30/19 at 10:52:35

I wont include the cap as I need to keep the key for now. The inside is in good shape but full if fuel so I'll have to remove the petcock to drain it all out. Colimbia is about 3.5 hrs away from me as I am 2 hrs south of Atlanta.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 03:57:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 95 build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.