ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Sidecar Rig
Reply #15 - 11/06/19 at 09:28:13

Dennisgb wrote on 11/06/19 at 08:13:35:
I like the idea of turning the Suzuki into more of a classic style...
Maybe if it works out and I like it, then I might consider it. It would be cool to have a solo seat tho.

-----------------------------------------------------

This build is a Photobucket casualty, but if you can find pictures you would probably like it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1380562345/0

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #16 - 11/06/19 at 09:35:28

ohiomoto wrote on 11/06/19 at 08:36:42:
I will say this, I seem to run across enough people who find my bike interesting enough that I'm pretty sure I can easily sell it for more than the average stock unit.  I also built it on a pretty tight budget and sold enough parts to cover the initial cost of the bike.  

But would someone pay enough to make me want to sell it?  I doubt it and it really doesn't matter because I built it for me.  I have a similar project in my garage that I plan to sell and I probably won't really profit from it either.   Smiley  

Agree. It’s all relative. I’ve built and turned many bikes. Some I made money on, some not.

In general the bikes I plan to turn need be of higher resale value, low mileage or Classic. I have a Norton 850 that is in process of restoration. This is a bike you can spend some money on because of value. I’m building it like I’m keeping it.

This becomes a complicated discussion because value is sometimes a perception. The Suzuki I bought for a replacement of a bike I lost in the shop fire. I got a really good deal on it. My gut tells me it’s probably worth $1800-2500 stand alone...which doesn’t leave much room for upgrades.

Bottom line for me is this is a hobby so I enjoy doing bikes. I turn bikes mostly to buy others or to finance other projects.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #17 - 11/06/19 at 09:43:14

Here’s a picture of the shop before the fire. I’m still trying to recover  :'(

5E43ADDD-8695-4229-9E38-AC14BD7E947B.jpeg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #18 - 11/06/19 at 10:01:41

Nice.  I like the eclectic style.  Love the Norton in the same space as the HD and the GP racer.  Cool.

Sorry about the fire.  Those were all lost???   :'( :'( :'( :'(  

My story is I don't really want projects.  I use to race motocross up until 2007, even owned and operated a track until 2010.  I got out of it and did the travel baseball deal with my boys for several years.  

One day my wife says she needs to get a Vespa to ride to work.  We quickly determined that it was way too dangerous for here commute downtown, but it dawned on me that I could escape my car and ride mostly through a National Park on my way to work.  Quickly scratched the scooter and started dreaming of my old man's T500 that he passed on to me (or maybe I stole it?) and my 71 Triumph TR6.   But I just wanted to ride to work, not a labor of love, and then I stumbled upon this site and RYCA...

So here I am with one bike put together, two more sitting in the garage, a half-finished Sprinter Van conversion and a whole bunch of bicycles to ride and ski season is just around the corner.   Thank god I got out of racing and travel baseball.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Anyway, a bunch of us really dig this kind of stuff.  I can't wait to see how this project works out for you.  Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #19 - 11/06/19 at 10:49:55

ohiomoto wrote on 11/06/19 at 10:01:41:
Sorry about the fire.

There were seven bikes in the shop when the fire happened. 3 were total losses. The other bikes were partially damaged and lots of smoke and water damage.

The building was a total loss.

I kept those 4 and will attempt to bring them back. The black and white bike was a custom build. It started life as a 1988 Honda Hurricane. I did all the work myself.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 11/06/19 at 17:27:11

Dennisgb,  looking at the Savages with sidecars I did notice that the sidecar wheel was  nearly as far rearward as the back tire of the bike , I  don't believe I've seen that on other setups, it may have to do with the Savage's fork angle.   You said before that a trike might benefit from more neck angle , but that's not the case for the Savage , there was a company in Fla. that converted a Savage and found the bike didn't want to turn , the front tire just plowed and the bike went straight through intersections even at reduced speeds.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #21 - 11/07/19 at 08:19:19

batman wrote on 11/06/19 at 17:27:11:
Dennisgb,  looking at the Savages with sidecars I did notice that the sidecar wheel was  nearly as far rearward as the back tire of the bike , I  don't believe I've seen that on other setups, it may have to do with the Savage's fork angle.   You said before that a trike might benefit from more neck angle , but that's not the case for the Savage , there was a company in Fla. that converted a Savage and found the bike didn't want to turn , the front tire just plowed and the bike went straight through intersections even at reduced speeds.

That’s interesting Batman. On the plowing front wheel, was that a trike conversion? If so, it may be because the bike is so light.

Sidecar wheel position is a critical factor for handling and stability. Having the wheel almost even with the rear wheel of the bike is bad. It needs to be 12” or more forward of the rear wheel. I’ll see how that comes out with the rig I have. I haven’t started putting it together because of space and still salvaging from the fire. I’ve done some measurements and it looks good to me. I may have to modify the lower mounts, but main frame mount looks like it will work.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #22 - 11/07/19 at 08:39:29

What's with putting the side car on the exhaust side?   In right-side-driving countries, is it all about putting the car away from traffic?

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 11/07/19 at 10:36:21

Yes that was a trike in Fla.  ,the Savage isn't a good subject for that kind of use , the use of car tires and the weight of them and the axle/swing arm needed  shifts the weight off the front tire of the bike and so it just wants to go straight. I think slowing down to 5-10 mph to go around a 90 degree corner on a trike would get very old , very fast.  But many sidecars have been used on the Savage , but it may pay to get help on setup from a pro.

« Last Edit: 11/07/19 at 14:15:48 by batman »  

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #24 - 11/07/19 at 10:38:21

Mavigogun wrote on 11/07/19 at 08:39:29:
What's with putting the side car on the exhaust side?   In right-side-driving countries, is it all about putting the car away from traffic?

I think that’s correct. Riding the bike inside might make it difficult to judge the sidecar position relative to oncoming moving traffic.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #25 - 11/07/19 at 10:46:11

Might be a candidate for a left side high scrambler exhaust then...

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #26 - 11/07/19 at 11:41:43

batman wrote on 11/07/19 at 10:36:21:
Yes that was a trike in Fla.  ,the Savage isn't a good subject for that kind of use , the use of car tires and the weight of them and the axle/swing needed  shifts the weight off the front tire of the bike and so it just wants to go straight. I think slowing down to 5-10 mph to go around a 90 degree corner on a trike would get very old , very fast.  But many sidecars have been used on the Savage , but it may pay to get help on setup from a pro.

I don’t feel uncomfortable doing this myself. I’ve done a lot of custom fabrication and the sidecar set up seems pretty easy.

I also own a Honda Aero Motor Trike that I love. You honestly can’t take 90 degree turns very fast...it is really easy to feel what speed is right. The front end on my Trike is very stable, but the bike is much heavier than the S40. I could see where the S40 wouldn’t make a good Trike. For the side hack it’s very similar to the RE with the exception of the rake. We’ll see how it works out.

622039AC-12F2-44BE-B9A1-63995A3FDD2C.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #27 - 11/07/19 at 11:50:35

Mavigogun wrote on 11/07/19 at 10:46:11:
Might be a candidate for a left side high scrambler exhaust then...

I don’t mind the exhaust on the sidecar side. The other bike was set up that way.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 11/07/19 at 12:53:36

One complaint that I recall from the others that had sidecars is a swingarm failure.

The swingarm is oval in cross section and while it is strong in the vertical, not as much for side loads.

So it may benefit from reinforcement.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 11/07/19 at 14:32:10

Nice looking trike!   the longer wheelbase, and heavier motor/tank ,and less fork angle , wider front rim and tire ,  makes for a much better candidate for a conversion.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 23:51:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sidecar Rig

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.