Send Topic Print
seat (Read 132 times)
roddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

seat
11/18/19 at 08:43:48

hi to all savages......has anyone out there installed a corbin seat on their savage? the factory seat is or can be atrocious. really like my s 40 though. thanks

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: seat
Reply #1 - 11/18/19 at 13:24:23

I read a few posts about the Corbin seat when I was trying to make mine more comfortable. The reviews were mixed. Some loved it, some didn't. One thing I did note is someone mentioned tbe Corbin seat moves you forward an inch or so. I wanted to go the other way.

FWIW, I played around with the stock seat alot. Based off some topics on the forum, I moved the rectifier from under the seat, cut the lump out of the seat pan, reshaped the foam, then got it recovered.

Other people have modified seats off other bikes to fit the Savage. Some have used an old Triumph flat seat. Others use a saddle off the HD Sporster.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
roddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/18/19 at 17:03:39

thanks for your reply. it is an expensive "experiment" to see if it works. i feel like you. more rearward would be better. thanks again, Roddy. ps. did you make the carb modification, ie the washer and white spacer?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 11/18/19 at 18:58:12

I would go upwards, not back.  This bike is pretty darn short in the back as it is. Even 1/2" can make a significant difference in leg room without compromising handling.

IP Logged
roddy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/18/19 at 19:15:46

hi. thanks for your reply. i thought that too as while riding i would kind of stand up on the pegs and sit on the edge of the passenger seat. thanks for your reply, roddy

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #5 - 11/18/19 at 21:52:23

roddy wrote on 11/18/19 at 17:03:39:
thanks for your reply. it is an expensive "experiment" to see if it works. i feel like you. more rearward would be better. thanks again, Roddy. ps. did you make the carb modification, ie the washer and white spacer?

Yep, I did the spacer mod and re-jetted. Also put on the Dyna muffler, kept the stock air filter. Very happy with the results

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #6 - 11/19/19 at 11:14:34

I bought one. Although the support was good, it moves your seating position forward and inch or so. At 6 ft tall, that was the wrong direction for me. I felt like the handlebars (the old buckhorn style) were in my stomach, and I just couldn't get used to it. I sold the seat to someone here on the forum. I think he liked it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 11/19/19 at 11:52:13

I rode a friends Savage with a Corbin...
He loved it,... for me, it was hard as a rock.
Need firm?... Go Corbin.
Need cushion?... DON'T!...
The difference may be size... I'm 145lbs... my friend was over 300...
I have no built-in cushion...

My Savage is the solo seat, re-shaped slightly and recovered... front is raised nearly 2 inches.
Summers I have a faux sheepskin cover, (mostly to keep it cool) works great, even though it's black.
Black vinyl in S Arizona sun will scorch yer' bum.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #8 - 11/19/19 at 22:59:12

My experience was the same as Serowbot's.
I bought a Corbin and sold it a few months later.
Like Serow, I weigh 145 lbs and found the Corbin
seat to be much too firm; (more like hard).
But the deal-breaker for me was that it put me
too far forward.  It felt like my knees were up
in my chest and there was no simple way to
adjust the seat position to correct it.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/20/19 at 07:05:57

I don't know if Sargent makes a seat for the Savage - but if they do they are currently having a sale.  Put "FRENZY19" in the code and you will get the discount.

Sargent seats are softer than Corbin, the seat pan is much lighter, and for some extra cash they can do some modifications if you want more padding or less padding or custom upholstery.

I believe you can get your money back if you don't like it and return the seat.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/20/19 at 07:21:53

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 11/20/19 at 08:24:31

My fix was a bit more involved . I'm 5'11"  but have a 34"inseam . I was never a fan of forward controls ,just didn't care for the way they looked ,so my only way around the problem ,  was to move my seat back. or up. I use a Mustang two place,  stepped seat,  made for a HD Sportster,  some have used this and built a bracket that left a rather large gap between it and the frame rails , and I didn't much care for that look either. so I left the two lower mounting bolts for the rear fender in place ,but used longer bolts and spacers in the top two bolts , allowing the fender to tip down .This allowed the front of the seat to be placed at the same height as the stock seat ,leaving no gap , and the passenger area to conform to the curve of the rear fender, but clearance between the tire and fender needed to be restored by use of longer shocks ,I choose 11 1/2 "progressive shocks . the HD seat having a much longer front section allow my butt to move about 4"rearward , when I sit on the bike my thighs are level with the ground and my lower legs and feet fit comfortably on the pegs in their stock position.  Advantages are no increase in seat height, better handling of the shocks , slightly increased ground clearance (I no longer scrape forward pegs) and slightly reduced steering neck angle . The disadvantage  was the change in swingarm height , forcing  me to relocate the passenger foot pegs 8 "forward to avoid the pegs hitting on the muffler , this turned out to be better for my passenger as her legs end up slightly forward ,rather than being tucked back near the shocks and on heavy bumps reduced the pegs from moving 3"to around 1'" as they were much closer to the pivot point of the swingarm. You can make the Savage fit you, and with a bit of planning , those changes can increase performance.

« Last Edit: 11/20/19 at 12:22:48 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 21:53:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.