Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
we’re going to take your  (GUN) (Read 529 times)
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: we’re going to take your  (GUN)
Reply #60 - 09/16/19 at 10:39:47

Just some facts:

Three-in-ten American adults (30%) say they personally own a gun, and an additional 11% say they live with someone who does, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted in March and April 2017. Whether or not they personally own a gun, Americans have broad exposure to firearms: Nearly half of U.S. adults (48%) grew up in a household with guns, nearly six-in-ten (59%) have friends who own guns and around seven-in-ten (72%) have fired a gun at some point in their lives – including 55% of those who have never personally owned a gun.

Among Americans who own a gun, nearly two-thirds (66%) say they own more than one, including 29% who own five or more. A large majority of gun owners (72%) own a handgun or pistol, while 62% own a rifle and 54% own a shotgun. About three-quarters of gun owners (73%) say they could never see themselves not owning a gun.

Protection tops the list of reasons why gun owners have a gun, according to the same survey. Two-thirds of gun owners (67%) say this as a major reason why they own a firearm. Considerably smaller shares say hunting (38%), sport shooting (30%), gun collecting (13%) or their job (8%) are major reasons. While men and women are about equally likely to cite protection (65% and 71%, respectively) as a major reason they own a gun, women are more likely than men to cite protection as the only reason (27% of women vs. 8% of men). Higher shares of male gun owners than female gun owners point to hunting (43% vs. 31%) and sport shooting (34% vs. 23%) as major reasons for gun ownership.

Regardless of whether they live in an urban, suburban or rural area, Americans are much more likely to cite protection than other considerations as a major reason for owning a gun. Rural gun owners, however, are far more likely than their urban and suburban counterparts to say hunting is a major reason why they own a firearm (48% of rural gun owners say this, compared with 34% of suburbanites and 27% of urbanites).

A majority of Americans say gun laws should be stricter. Nearly six-in-ten U.S. adults (57%) say gun laws should be more strict, while smaller shares say they are about right (31%) or should be less strict (11%), according to a survey conducted in September and October 2018. Yet these views differ sharply by party: Eight-in-ten Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents (80%) say gun laws should be stricter while 28% of Republicans and GOP leaners say the same. For their part, Republicans are much more likely than Democrats to say gun laws are about right (52% vs. 15%) or should be less strict than they are today (20% vs. 4%).

Partisans are also deeply divided over whether it is more important to control gun ownership or protect gun rights, according to the same survey. Around three-quarters of Republicans (76%) say it’s more important to protect the right of Americans to own guns than it is to control gun ownership, while just 19% of Democrats agree. That 57-percentage-point partisan gap is up from a 29-point gap in 2008.

Many gun policy proposals are politically divisive, but there are some on which Republicans and Democrats agree, according to the fall 2018 survey. Around nine-in-ten Republicans and Democrats (both 89%) say people with mental illnesses should be prevented from buying guns. Nearly as many in both parties (86% of Democrats and 83% of Republicans) say people on federal no-fly or watch lists should be barred from purchasing firearms. And majorities of both Democrats (91%) and Republicans (79%) favor background checks for private gun sales and sales at gun shows.

Other proposals bring out stark partisan rifts. Republicans are far more likely than Democrats to favor allowing teachers and school officials to carry guns in elementary and high schools (69% vs. 22%) and allowing people to carry concealed weapons in more places (68% vs. 26%). Democrats are much more likely than Republicans to favor banning assault-style weapons (81% vs. 50%) and high-capacity magazines (81% vs. 51%).

In addition to partisanship, gun ownership also affects Americans’ views of gun policy proposals. Republicans who don’t own a gun, for example, are much more likely than GOP gun owners to favor banning assault-style weapons (65% vs. 31%) and high-capacity magazines (63% vs. 35%). Among Democrats, gun owners are more than twice as likely as those who don’t own a gun to favor expanded concealed carry (50% vs. 21%).

Americans are divided over whether restricting legal gun ownership would lead to fewer mass shootings. Debates over the nation’s gun laws have often followed recent mass shootings. But Americans are split over whether legal changes would lead to fewer mass shootings, according to the fall 2018 poll. Nearly half of adults (47%) say there would be fewer mass shootings if it was harder for people to obtain guns legally, while a similar share (46%) says there would be no difference. Very few (6%) say there would be more mass shootings if it was harder for people to obtain guns legally.

Americans are also split on a related question about the potential impact that more Americans owning guns would have on crime more broadly. While 37% of U.S. adults say there would be more crime if more Americans owned guns, 33% say there would be no difference and 29% say there would be less crime.

Many Americans say they know someone who has been shot. A significant share of Americans (44%) say they personally know someone who has been shot, either accidentally or intentionally, according to the spring 2017 survey. A majority of black adults (57%) say this, compared with 43% of whites and 42% of Hispanics. Gun owners are more likely than non-gun owners to know someone who has been shot (51% vs. 40%).

Separately, about a quarter of Americans (23%) say someone has used a gun to threaten or intimidate them or someone in their family. There is again a racial gap: About a third of blacks (32%) say this, compared with 20% of whites. About a quarter of Hispanics (24%) say this has happened to them or their family members.

2017 saw more gun deaths in the U.S. than any year in decades, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The nearly 40,000 Americans who died of gun-related injuries in 2017 marked a 19% increase from 2012 and the highest annual total since the mid-1990s. The increase in gun deaths over five years included a 15% rise in suicides involving a gun and a 25% rise in murders involving a firearm. (The CDC data includes other categories as well, such as unintentional gun deaths and those involving police or other law enforcement agents.)

Taking overall population changes into account, there were 12 firearm-related deaths for every 100,000 people in 2017, a 14% increase from five years earlier. Despite the recent increase, however, the rate of gun-related deaths was considerably higher during the early and mid-1990s: In 1993, for example, there were 15.6 gun deaths per 100,000 people.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/12/27/facts-about-guns-in-united-st...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 09/16/19 at 11:41:09

Many Americans say they know someone who has been shot. A significant share of Americans (44%) say they personally know someone who has been shot, either accidentally or intentionally, according to the spring 2017 survey. A majority of black adults (57%) say this, compared with 43% of whites and 42% of Hispanics. Gun owners are more likely than non-gun owners to know someone who has been shot (51% vs. 40%).

Separately, about a quarter of Americans (23%) say someone has used a gun to threaten or intimidate them or someone in their family. There is again a racial gap: About a third of blacks (32%) say this, compared with 20% of whites. About a quarter of Hispanics (24%) say this has happened to them or their family members.

I can't believe this one. 44% know someone who has been shot?

There are 320,000,000 in the US which means 140,800,000 "know" someone who has been shot. My first question is what defines "know". Much like the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, just exactly how far removed defines as "know"? I don't "know" anyone who has been shot. I know names of people who have been shot, but I don't "know" anyone.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #62 - 09/16/19 at 11:52:03

You live a very sheltered existence...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 09/16/19 at 11:52:34

You "know" someone who has been shot?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #64 - 09/16/19 at 12:02:57

6... thinking off hand.
2 in war if that counts.
1 accidentally shot himself in the leg.
2 by a criminal act.
1 was a DEA agent.

I've had a gun pointed at me at least 3 times...
Never shot though.  Twice bullets were fired.
Not gonna' explain those.  Just to say, I'm not a criminal.
Az is the land of gun nuts...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #65 - 09/16/19 at 12:18:46

No, war doesn't count.
In those cases you won't explain, (I get that by the way, don't trust anyone on here with personal information) would you say they occurred in typical places or were you in what you may describe as high risk areas?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #66 - 09/16/19 at 12:21:30

One, you might call, "high risk"...
Two, no...

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 09/16/19 at 12:27:53

"However, today, I buy a gun, by choice.
I own the gun, and it is totally legal.
Tomorrow, it becomes, illegal.
And their is a "mandatory"  by back, with penalty's attached if I do not, "mandatory", give it up.
The 'Choice' would not be made.
In fact the 'choice' would not even be a option."

No, when law changes you do not have a choice.  Maybe changing law is something people should look into instead of complaining.  I know it worked where I live.

Bottom line is when you chose to buy a gun you knew laws existed, and could be changed, that applied to that gun.  You chose to buy a gun.

That same thing applies for home mortgages, speed limits, guns, wooden vs plastic toothpicks etc.  

If the speed limit on the street where you choose to live is 40 MPH and it is changed to 35 MPH you do have the choice to move away, or follow the law, or get a speeding ticket.

JoG claims the Mandatory buyback "is violence" because if you don't comply there is violence.  '

By that logic:

Speed limit is violence.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #68 - 09/16/19 at 12:32:16

Serowbot wrote on 09/16/19 at 12:21:30:
One, you might call, "high risk"...
Two, no...

Anyone else care to weigh in?   I don't "know" anyone who's been shot. I've been shot at but that was playing around as a kid.

Maybe 44% is right, but doesn't seem like it would be.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #69 - 09/16/19 at 12:35:19

I know plenty of people who have been shot, including me.

Off hand I can think of 2 in high school, at least 7 or 8 when I was young in CA.

This is not counting "war" or lets just say outside the US.

If we count those two kids in high school, and every kid there said "Yeah I knew one of those kids" that's about 500 people that "know" someone who was shot in just one day.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #70 - 09/16/19 at 12:52:46

Eegore wrote on 09/16/19 at 12:27:53:
 No, when law changes you do not have a choice.    

Correct, the purchase was legal.
That's when the, Choice, was made.
(But, 'someone', Beto ?)
Changed the law.
That is Confiscation.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 09/16/19 at 13:01:45

Eegore wrote on 09/16/19 at 12:35:19:
 I know plenty of people who have been shot, including me.

Off hand I can think of 2 in high school, at least 7 or 8 when I was young in CA.

This is not counting "war" or lets just say outside the US.

If we count those two kids in high school, and every kid there said "Yeah I knew one of those kids" that's about 500 people that "know" someone who was shot in just one day.

That's my point. Using that criteria, I 'know' someone who has been shot, but that's not how I would define 'know'.

Again, 320,000,000 million people in the US; 44% is 140,000,000 who 'know' someone who has been shot. The "subliminal" message behind that statistic is shootings are happening to everyone, everywhere and that's just not true.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #72 - 09/16/19 at 13:05:04

A majority of Americans say gun laws should be stricter. Nearly six-in-ten U.S. adults (57%) say gun laws should be more strict, while smaller shares say they are about right (31%) or should be less strict (11%), according to a survey conducted in September and October 2018. Yet these views differ sharply by party: Eight-in-ten Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents (80%) say gun laws should be stricter while 28% of Republicans and GOP leaners say the same. For their part, Republicans are much more likely than Democrats to say gun laws are about right (52% vs. 15%) or should be less strict than they are today (20% vs. 4%).

Partisans are also deeply divided over whether it is more important to control gun ownership or protect gun rights, according to the same survey. Around three-quarters of Republicans (76%) say it’s more important to protect the right of Americans to own guns than it is to control gun ownership, while just 19% of Democrats agree. That 57-percentage-point partisan gap is up from a 29-point gap in 2008.

Eight-in-ten Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents (80%) say gun laws should be stricter while 28% of Republicans and GOP leaners say the same   Those differences are huge.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #73 - 09/16/19 at 13:25:28

"Correct, the purchase was legal.
That's when the, Choice, was made.
(But, 'someone', Beto ?)
Changed the law.
That is Confiscation."

Ok.

But I am talking about JoG saying that a law change "is violence" and it can only be so if it is enforced.

Speed limits can change and you don't get a choice.  They are enforced.

So speed limits are violence.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #74 - 09/16/19 at 14:27:23

Gun owners are a powerful lobby for Red votes,... but they are not as universal as they think.
And with every shooting, their position weakens.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 02:22:55

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › we’re going to take your  (GUN)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.