Compression Project (Read 997 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Compression Project
Reply #15 - 08/30/19 at 15:12:17

In this photo the jack bolt is screwed in about 1/2”.

Jack_Bolt_6_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 08/30/19 at 15:14:30

When I experimented with this jack bolt idea, I was in the middle of preparing and installing my stage II head.  I prepped the stage II head for the jack bolt too.  Instead of a 3/8-NF jack bolt I set it up for a 5/16-NF and incorporated a steel threaded bushing in the aluminum head (for durability).   But I wasn’t ready to try it yet, so I plugged the jack bolt hole and put the idea on the back burner.

At that time, I was concerned about making the cam chain drive too rigid.  Although the factory design seems to lock the tensioner in place, that long rear guide is still flexible.  Once I put that jack bolt in there, the rear guide becomes rigid.  So, when the cylinder grows, the pawl restrains the bottom, the jack bolt restrains the middle, and the pivot bolt restrains the top.  It’s not gonna give much.  We already have a problem with accelerated chain wear.  I wasn’t willing to solidify the system.

Later, I start seeing discussion on the forum about Batman’s complete removal of the tensioner pawl, and then Dave sets his up with no pawl and a stopper to restrict plunger retraction to 1mm.

While I understand that Batman’s system is working fine, I need more control over my valvetrain.  The unrestrained plunger setup is fine for a daily driver, but I’m pushing mine past 6.5K on a regular basis, and I’m fixin to bring the valves a whole lot closer to the piston.

With the pawl removed, you can watch that plunger stroke in and out a bunch as the engine rotates.   Every time the intake lobe goes past the nose, the valve springs take control and drive the cam.  That takes the slack out of the rear side of the chain.  The pawl is there to prevent the cam from running away.  The cam lobe has a deceleration ramp that is intended to gently place the valve on the seat.  The deceleration ramp can’t perform its intended function if the rear side of the chain is slack.  The chain must hold back the cam as the intake valve is closing.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 08/30/19 at 15:16:45

This photo shows how much that plunger moves when the pawl is removed.  I coated the plunger with grease and rotated the crank in the direction of rotation five or six turns.  The grease line tells the story.

Plunger_Stroke_Test.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 08/30/19 at 15:18:09

Dave’s setup (no pawl, stop to limit back travel) limits the slack on the rear side of the chain.  I can use a tensioner with the pawl removed, incorporate a stop to limit plunger retraction, and install the jack bolt to take up the majority of the excess slack.  

Instead of extending the front side of the tensioner plunger (like Verslagen), I extended the back side 15mm.  That provides additional engagement with the tensioner bore to keep the plunger straight and prevent cocking.  I left off the rack for the pawl (I could never machine that) so the plunger has a nice close fit completely around it’s circumference.  It’s very stable.

New_Plunger_15mm_Longer_no_rack_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 08/30/19 at 15:19:06

Then, 7mm washers were used to act as a stop.  With the jack bolt adjusted so that the plunger extends 18mm, two washers limit back travel to 1.5mm.

Some time ago, I did a post on cylinder expansion.  I measured growth at exactly .025” from ambient to normal operating temperature.  I know from the eccentric bushing measurements that the plunger extends or retracts 2.7mm for every .025” change in cylinder height.  The rate of expansion for aluminum is roughly twice that of steel.  So, when the cylinder grows .025” the chain is growing about .012 (each side).  The plunger should retract about half of 2.7 mm from ambient to normal operating temperature.  The 1.5mm back travel limit provides a little grace.  We shall see how it works out.

7mm_Washers_Travel_Limiters_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 08/30/19 at 15:20:38

Here’s the finished tensioner installation with jack bolt adjusted for 18mm plunger extension.  Almost all the plunger shaft is engaged with the tensioner housing.

New_Plunger_Installed_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 08/30/19 at 15:22:02

Periodically, I will inspect the plunger extension, and if necessary, adjust the jack bolt to restore the extension to 18mm.  It will become part of my routine maintenance.

Now there is the issue of cam timing.  Awhile back, Armen gave us the lowdown on indexing the drive sprocket on the crankshaft.  There are more splines on the crank than teeth on the sprocket.  That means that you can move the sprocket one-spline, but it does not change the position one-tooth.  So, I advanced the sprocket one spline on the crank and it dialed in my cam timing perfectly.  Talk about a lucky break.  A BIG mahalo to you Armen.

Here's a look at what advancing the sprocket looks like.  Notice the dots on the sprocket and the end of the crank shaft.  Also note the cleanliness plug stuffed in the opening to the engine sump.  You don’t wanna be workin in here without that cleanliness plug.  I’m guilty of violating this commonsense rule.  I gotta try harder.

Drive_Sprocket_Advanced_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 08/30/19 at 15:26:13

It looks like all the big problems have been addressed.  Lob off the cylinder .130” to reduce quench to .060” and increase CR to 10.4:1.  Provide adequate clearance between valves and piston by machining valve reliefs .130” deep in the top of the piston.  Remove excess slack from the cam chain using the special jack bolt and extended tensioner plunger.   Correct cam timing by advancing the drive gear one-spline.

Machining that cylinder was quite a project on my teeny-weeny Chinese lathe.

Cyl_in_Lathe_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 08/30/19 at 15:28:26

Cutting the valve reliefs was a lot easier than cutting the cylinder.

Fly_cutting_2_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 08/30/19 at 15:31:03

When all the machining was done, it had to be assembled with gaskets and torqued to spec in order to verify correct quench.  Quench was checked by laying feeler gages on top of the piston and then laying a strip of lead wire on the feelers.  Rotate the engine through several times, remove the head, and measure the thickness of the crushed lead wire and feelers.  The total thickness of the feelers and lead wire was .0595”.  Close enough.

Lead_Check_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 08/30/19 at 15:33:21

The front chain guide had to be trimmed to make sure it didn’t interfere with the cylinder head.  The T-shaped tabs and shoulder had to be filed back such that they no longer protruded above the gasket surface.  It’s easy.  The material is a hard rubber and easily worn away with a file.

Front_Guide_Mod_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 08/30/19 at 15:35:55

Prior to machining the cylinder deck, the oil feed groove for the cylinder head must be made deeper.  The stock groove is only about 1/8” deep.  Since I was removing slightly over 1/8”, the groove would be eliminated.   I used a die grinder to make the groove ¼” deep.  That way, once I was finished machining the deck, the remaining groove would be about 1/8” deep.

Oli_Groove_After_Grinding_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 08/30/19 at 15:38:31

To make sure that the two dowels that locate the cylinder head don’t interfere with the head, I shortened each dowel 1/8”.  I made sure that the head would go all the way home, even without a gasket.

It’s always good practice to verify that nothing is gonna hit when the engine is all back together.  Use modeling clay to check for ample valve-to-piston clearance.  Place clay on the piston in way of each valve relief.  Apply a liberal coat of grease to each valve so the clay doesn’t stick to the valves.  Assemble the engine completely, torque the head and adjust the valves.  Then rotate the engine through (at least four revolutions).  Do not force it.  Rotate gently.  If it gets hard to turn something is probably hitting.  Investigate.

Disassemble and measure the clay to determine clearance.  I use a small drill bit with a piece of aerosol spray tubing.  Verify vertical and radial clearance (minimum .080” intake & .100” exhaust).  This setup had about .140” vertical on the exhaust valves and the intake valves don’t even touch the clay (so much for valve reliefs).  

BTW, used head gaskets come in handy for these checks.  New gaskets cost about $40 a copy so save an old gasket for clearance checks.

Clay_Check_2_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 08/30/19 at 15:39:22

You stick the bit down through the clay until it hits the aluminum, then gently run the plastic tube down until it just touches the clay.  Pull the assembly out without disturbing the tubing.  Now you can measure how thick the clay is.

Clay_Check_3_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 08/30/19 at 15:40:53

So now it’s time to put it all together for real.  All the clearances check out.  I won’t go into all the gory details about honing the cylinder, checking ring gaps, etc.  Let’s just say put it together in accordance with the manual and good shop practice.  As I stated earlier, I set up the tensioner jack bolt so that the tensioner plunger extended 18mm.  Each time I inspect the tensioner, I will adjust as necessary to bring the plunger back to 18mm.   If the drive and slack sides of the chain start getting too close to each other, I will install a new chain, rear guide, or both.  Only time will tell how well it holds up.

To lock the jack bolt in place, I fabricated a jack bolt lock cap.  It uses an o-ring to keep the oil in the engine.

Jack_Bolt_Lock_Cap_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 17:22:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Compression Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.