Replacing the clutch (Read 113 times)
austinashley15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Replacing the clutch
07/26/19 at 16:32:39

Hey everyone, first post here.
I've been reading this website for months and finally got my savage about 2 months ago. This site rules and the information here is priceless.
Well I'm going to be replacing the clutch this weekend. I've read up on the threads already posted and they were very helpful. Yes I know that it's probably just the pushrod but I got the barnett pack really cheap and thought why not.

My question is, my lever on the rear end of the right side of the engine case is *below* the two marks. I can pretty easily push my bike in any gear, release the clutch and not kill the bike, and it will only start going if I walk it forward and help it start rolling. Even then it's got no grab whatsoever.
I purchased the shorter and longer pushrod and was wondering which one would be correct? Stock, right now, is below the marks so will I need a shorter one after the change of the plates? Or will I need the longer one? Or keep stock?
Thanks for reading

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Re: Replacing the clutch
Reply #1 - 07/26/19 at 18:18:04

The stock springs are pretty weak.  Did you get new springs with the kit?  I know some have run an extra plate to take up the slack of the weak springs.

btw I dont recommend that fix. Too much pressure on the fragile basket. Just noting it.

« Last Edit: 07/27/19 at 08:28:57 by SpamyToo »  
WWW   IP Logged
austinashley15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/26/19 at 18:37:17

Springs and both steel and clutch plates. Plates are sitting in rotella 15-40 at the moment

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 07/26/19 at 20:06:16

Not to hi-jack your thread, but...
I was getting slight clutch slipping under full power once in a while and thought 90,000 miles maybe the clutch is getting tired. All the marks were good, I had to extend the cam chain tensioner out to the 2nd hole with the new cam chain and I had a look.
Under the outside fiber plate there are 2 rings, one flat, one cone shaped. together they are thicker than the fiber disc. The clutch springs have to flex the cone shaped one to have full pressure on the plates.  I think they are there to make sure the plates disingauge properly.
Long story a little shorter, I left out the flat ring, put it all back together, and I've gone another 2k and I can't get the clutch to slip!
Look yours over real good and use your own judgement, but it worked for me.

(Dave might have a heart attack when he sees I left out a moving part on purpose!)

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/27/19 at 08:49:26

I believe you measure the length of the rod sticking out of the clutch ,and that it should be less than 13mm to allow full engagement of the clutch plates.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
austinashley15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/27/19 at 12:54:46

Cool, thank you. Finished replacing and and good darn, this things got balls! Onto fixing the oil plug leak next weekend. My buddy's giving me some apes and a tall sissy bar Tonite, priced at " Free.99$", can't beat that. Once I get it looking a little prettier I'll post some pictures and all that stuff.

IP Logged
austinashley15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/27/19 at 16:00:24

So it seems that now I'm shifting fine but my clutch lever won't go back down after I pull the lever on the bars in. I used the longer pushrod (46.5mm) to get the arm in between the marks. I used the old clutch spring as a ghetto return spring but it's a little stiff on the fingers. Anyone know why this is happening? I adjusted the cable at both ends, doesn't seem to do much. Could my cable be stretched out?

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #7 - 07/29/19 at 10:47:32

austinashley15 wrote on 07/27/19 at 12:54:46:
Cool, thank you. Finished replacing and and good darn, this things got balls! Onto fixing the oil plug leak next weekend. My buddy's giving me some apes and a tall sissy bar Tonite, priced at " Free.99$", can't beat that. Once I get it looking a little prettier I'll post some pictures and all that stuff.

AustinAshley15, no need for your bike to look real presentable here!! No judgements! I mean Hell, my bike has been posted all over this great forum

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 07/29/19 at 11:08:35

Mike, get your crap together. Your bike looks like hell.  Terrible, unacceptable, disappointing...

Wink Grin

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #9 - 07/29/19 at 16:53:08

ohiomoto wrote on 07/29/19 at 11:08:35:
Mike, get your crap together. Your bike looks like hell.  Terrible, unacceptable, disappointing...

Ha Ha ohiomoto, I guess I deserved that!!! Was in uou great state a few sundays ago! Love the no helmet law!!
I jumped on Scenic rt6 at the Ohio/Pennsylvania border and headed east, to Lantz Corner pa, ( only about 45 miles from my home. I'll take it the rest of the way to the East another day. My intent was to run it the full length of pa... but just to much to see to go fast I love that road
Michael

Wink Grin

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 07/29/19 at 21:57:19

AA15 when you replaced the lower end of the clutch cable did you place both the nuts on top of the ledge ,one is the adjustment ,the other one to lock it in place ,as all the force is applied to the top side when you pull in the handle bar lever , if you placed one on each side it can break the ledge and the lever won't return.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 07/30/19 at 06:22:49

madmikesmech wrote on 07/29/19 at 16:53:08:
ohiomoto wrote on 07/29/19 at 11:08:35:

Ha Ha ohiomoto, I guess I deserved that!!! Was in uou great state a few sundays ago! Love the no helmet law!!
I jumped on Scenic rt6 at the Ohio/Pennsylvania border and headed east, to Lantz Corner pa, ( only about 45 miles from my home. I'll take it the rest of the way to the East another day. My intent was to run it the full length of pa... but just to much to see to go fast I love that road
Michael

Wink Grin

--------------------------------

That part of PA is a beutiful area, actually, most of PA is a great drive.   Your area is nice too.  I always take the Southern Tier over  I90 if I'm headed east.  Ohio is nice as long as you never go west of I71.  It gets flat on that side.  Really flat!  (Nice farm country actually, but really flat! lol) Smiley

AustinAshley15,  Sorry I got off-topic.  But Mike is right, we do not judge around here.  Mike's bike clearly gets ridden.  I like to call bikes like his "authentic" because you can't buy that sort of patina.  You earn it by riding it!

IP Logged
austinashley15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/30/19 at 21:05:59

batman wrote on 07/29/19 at 21:57:19:
AA15 when you replaced the lower end of the clutch cable did you place both the nuts on top of the ledge ,one is the adjustment ,the other one to lock it in place ,as all the force is applied to the top side when you pull in the handle bar lever , if you placed one on each side it can break the ledge and the lever won't return.

Hmmm... So did I have both asjustment bolts screwed all the way to the top after I put the clutch in? No I don't think so, might've even had them all the way down. To try and take slack out of the cable to make the lever sit higher when the clutch was worn. If this is the case what would need to be replaced?
For some reason I have a feeling that if I take the return spring off it will work again, it felt different after riding for a bit, like it fell into place somehow and is working normally. I'm going to check soon

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 20:56:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacing the clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.