Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electircal wire gauge (Read 41 times)
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Electircal wire gauge
07/30/19 at 13:15:11

I am redoing a lot of the wiring and was not 100% clear on the majority of the wire gauge used on our bikes.  For stuff that is used in the wiring harness etc, it all mostly looks to be the same gauge wires.  What gauge should I be using?  18 gauge enough, or do I need something thicker?  I know that other things are using a much thicker wire i.e. battery, solenoid wires etc.  Just curious about those thinner wires.

Thank you!

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Electircal wire gauge
Reply #1 - 07/30/19 at 14:44:50

The heaviest draw on the bike (besides the starter) is you headlight -on high beam , which only draws 5 amps . So I would say 18ga  rated for 10 amps @ 12 volts, to be OK for use anywhere as it would carry twice the draw of the headlight . the fuses only blow if you  have a dead short , the entire battery (over 200+ amps) tries to flow through the wire thus blowing the 20 amp fuse instantly ,and doing it's job of protecting your wires from fire.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Re: Electircal wire gauge
Reply #2 - 07/30/19 at 17:39:37

batman wrote on 07/30/19 at 14:44:50:
  The heaviest draw on the bike (besides the starter) is you headlight -on high beam , which only draws 5 amps . So I would say 18ga  rated for 10 amps @ 12 volts, to be OK for use anywhere as it would carry twice the draw of the headlight . the fuses only blow if you  have a dead short , the entire battery (over 200+ amps) tries to flow through the wire thus blowing the 20 amp fuse instantly ,and doing it's job of protecting your wires from fire.

Awesome, and thank you for the detailed answer and explanation!

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 23:57:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electircal wire gauge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.