Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike bogs at 90% throttle. Among other things (Read 396 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Bike bogs at 90% throttle. Among other things
Reply #15 - 07/25/19 at 09:24:17

I'm 250 and this bike starts to struggle over 75, but if you can get there, that tells me your jetting isn't crazy far off.  

So top speed it in the ballpark.  But why would it be dying???  Has it done this since you got it? does it perform well up until that point?

I agree with Batman that you need to see what's in that carb.  Maybe the PO swapped the air jets from the diaphragm or put crazy wrong jets in there.  But that wouldn't explain the stall unless the float level is so far off that it literally runs out of fuel at full throttle.  Even then, I would expect it to stumble and not completely die.  Or maybe it's so rich you are flooding it out???  Maybe it's not fuel related at all and the ignitor is dying out at high RPMs.  

Strange.

IP Logged
SomeENG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/26/19 at 16:46:41

Yes, I've been running this bike almost a year.

I suspect my stator is going out because my battery sometimes dies. I replaced the battery when I got it with an AGM.

When it died I just jumped the clutch safety with a paperclip and push started it.

I had to push start it four times today and it blew a fuse.

Can push starting do that?

EDIT: my neg battery terminal was loose, it may explain the blown fuse right?

« Last Edit: 07/27/19 at 16:52:13 by SomeENG »  
  IP Logged
SomeENG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/27/19 at 17:54:03

This carb is pretty clean.

Also the brass plug had been removed by a PO, the screw is about even with the body of the carb surrounding it at the 11/5 position.

The two "jets" under the diaphragm are labeled 130 and 70.

The two "jets" in the bowl aren't legible.

There is no spacer on the needle.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 07/27/19 at 20:00:05

I don't know if the neg. battery post being loose would blow the fuse, but it would explain your battery dying , as it couldn't charge without the circuit being complete. I would also conclude that your stator is ok ,because that would be the only other supply of power to keep the bike running once started. Charge your battery and your starter should work (unless you like push starting)
      I would also conclude the reason for your bogging to be the fact that your spacer is completely missing , at WOT ( wide open throttle ) your fuel mix could become to rich to ignite (lots of fuel and no air )  . You need to replace it with either 3  #4 steel machine washers ,if your elevation is above 1,000 ft . or 2 washers if below that -as a general rule of thumb. the PO may have removed it thinking he could run just the header or a piece of wide open pipe  ,or he didn't know spit! the motor would have run poorly and got bad mpg -40 or less.
       If you can't read the jets they can be bought for less than $10.00 each.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SomeENG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/27/19 at 21:43:36

I'll go to my local hardware store tomorrow for the washers, home depot only carries #6 and up.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 07/27/19 at 22:59:41

I forgot ,there should be a brass washer on the main jet ,between it and the needle jet ( the cylinder with the holes) it holds that fully up in the carb body (otherwise fuel can move around it) that would also make you run rich . a site like- Ron Ayers- has expanded views and part numbers of most of the bike ,and is good to view if you have doubts about assembly.
  Lowes  ,usually has the washers, use  steel , as the brass ones are usually thicker.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 07/28/19 at 11:16:14

Do you have jets handy to change out the pilot and main since they are not marked ?
No markings of any kind ?

IP Logged
SomeENG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/28/19 at 18:54:57

The larger jet had some sort of picture on it like a square inside a larger square. And maybe the number 4.

The smaller jet had nothing identifiable.

I added the washers, we'll see what if any difference it makes tomorrow.

I did not have replacement jets, they can be replaced if the washers make no difference.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 07/29/19 at 07:52:21

There are four jets in the carb ,the ones your talking about I believe are the two in the top ,under the diaphragm( air jets) , the smalllone (as I remember) is unmarked , the larger one has a square or diamond shaped mark and is a 45 ,so I'm guessing these are stock. the other two jets(fuel) are in the bottom of the carb the small one (pilot jet) feeds your idle circuit it should be a 52.5 and that number should appear on it's base . the other is your main jet ,the size should also be on the base, this is the one where the brass washer should be to hold the needle jet up in place ,and I suggested be a 150 jet (two sizes up from the stock 147 due to your use of the HD muffler) . If you need to change the bottom fuel jets because the PO changed to larger ones Lancer sells a jet kit with several pilot and main jets at a price far more reasonable than you'll find anywhere else.Look him up in The Marketplace section.

IP Logged
SomeENG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/29/19 at 09:39:30

Here's what I found out, adding the two #4 stainless spacers over the needle did make a noticeable difference.

I noticed I am able to throttle up with less hesitation ( previously if I gave too much throttle too quickly the bike would hesitate)

Pulling the (choke?) Out gives a more noticible performance boost on the freeway.

If I'm at max speed on the freeway letting go of the throttle now causes popping when it did not before.

The bike still bogs if I max out the throttle, but not as badly as before.

I will get the jets recommended.

As for the washer between the needle and the jet, is it accessed by removing the jet or from the needle side above the jet?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 07/29/19 at 09:46:32

SomeENG wrote on 07/29/19 at 09:39:30:
As for the washer between the needle and the jet, is it accessed by removing the jet or from the needle side above the jet?

Remove the main jet from the bottom and the washer will come with it.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #26 - 07/29/19 at 09:51:01

So you were way too rich because of what the PO did with the needle.  I would add two more washers or get a stock white spacer and get the rest of the jetting back to stock (or something close to what Batman recommended.)  At that point, it should run reasonably well and you can fine-tune it from there.  If not then you'll have to figure out what else is contributing to the issue.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #27 - 07/29/19 at 21:14:02

You shouldn't be pulling the choke out when the bike's running at speed, only for starting. You never told us your location so we can't advice the number of washers that should be put on the needle. The fact that the bike runs better with the two washers (which decreased the fuel ),but the bike runs faster when you pull the choke out at speed (which increases fuel ) is odd . I think before you do anything more to the carb you should replace the jets in the bowl with known (new)sizes 52.5/150.
  You might try increasing you Idle speed to relieve the popping when closing the throttle , if the sound is just a gurgle rather than loud popping that's normal .

IP Logged
SomeENG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 07/30/19 at 20:34:37

I live in Los angeles.

To specify.
on the freeway when I have the choke pulled out, (it feels like) I am able to turn the throttle slightly further before it bogs. (But not by much)

The bike will still bog if I try to accelerate too quickly.

However at idle and when at top speed the bike now sounds more like other motorcycles I've owned.

It could just be my perceptions? Because it now sounds more like my previous bikes I feel as though it's running better. Undecided

I'll order the jets.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 07/31/19 at 05:43:55

Your elevation is avg. 301 ft above sea level . I would  stay with 2 washers on the needle jet , but you may need a main jet larger than the one I  suggested (150)  maybe a 152.5 or 155 (the next two largest) that's because the air ,contains more oxygen at /near sea level  so more fuel is needed  also. Use the smallest one that runs well as the larger you go the less mpg the bike will get. E 87 gas will work on a stock bike no matter what jets you use, higher octane fuel will not increase performance and will be just a waste of money .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:32:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike bogs at 90% throttle. Among other things

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.