Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Momentary lever style switch? (Read 147 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Momentary lever style switch?
03/29/19 at 11:44:19

Do these exist?

I am searching for a way to get a strobe LED added to some 1995 bikes.  It was originally recommended I use the "passing switch" but the 1995 does not have one, and its not clear if I can put a 2014 or newer left grip assembly on a 1995 easily.

So now I am searching for momentary switches, but I can't put them on the bars in a location that wouldn't require a rider take their hand off the grip to activate the switch.

I am wondering if there's some sort of lever switch where I can install the main switch mechanism next to the stock assembly and could just press an extending lever while maintaining grip.

I hope that makes sense.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Momentary lever style switch?
Reply #1 - 03/29/19 at 21:31:55

Your best /easiest move would be the 2004+ left handle bar switch housing , using the passing light switch,  the connectors will probably be different ,but it could be spliced/hard wired/ or you could buy an after market connector. Why make it harder than it needs to be? Why a strobe? Is it legal?

« Last Edit: 04/02/19 at 23:19:20 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/29/19 at 23:47:53

I wasn't sure a 2014+ left hand assembly would interface appropriately with 1995.  For me bolting on a separate system is easier than disassembling the current one.  Dave had explained how he did it using the passing switch but he already had the correct left hand assembly.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 03/30/19 at 01:21:59

According to my Clymers, the passing switch was introduced in 2004.  I put a left hand switch set from a 2006 on my 2002.
I had to change it out because the turn signal switch had failed and the horn switch was acting flakey.

The only thing I had to "cut and paste" were the turn signal connectors in the headlight.  Everything else hooked right up and worked fine.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/30/19 at 05:46:18

Getting a 2004 and later handlebar control to fit an earlier bike would require a considerable amount of reworking the wire harness and connector.....it would not be easy.

Handlebar push buttons for accessories are the easiest method.....you want one that is momentary, and only activates the strobe while the button is held.

Finding them to fit a 1" handlebar cuts down your options....most of them are made for 7/8" bars.

This one is a dual button, it has a momentary button for the horn, and a ON/OFF button for other accessories like lights.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Aluminum-Alloy-CNC-Motorcycle-Switches-Handlebar-M...

This one is chome and has 2 momentary switches.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billet-Aluminum-CHROME-Handlebar-Horn-Starter-Switch...

Another option would be to just connect the light to the horn circuit...the strobe and horn would both run when you push the horn button.  The strobe requires very little power to operate.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #5 - 03/30/19 at 07:48:34

I have been using some of these for projects.  Just mounts on the clamp of the brake or clutch lever. Its  usually within reach without taking your hand off of the grip.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-CNC-Rotating-Bar-Clamp-Start-Stop-Kill-Sw...

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-r2ulc3uwrn/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/343
4/9723/flangia-con-pulsante-allumino-nero-2_Revival_Cycles__53039.1536959409.jpg
?c=2&imbypass=on

Like Dave said, most are 7/8" but there are some Harley  ones here and there and those would most likely be 1"

https://www.mvecycles.com/epages/62180312.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/6218031...

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/01/19 at 07:11:30

I was hoping to find a switch that didn't require removing your hand from the grip to activate the button.

I may have to try the horn route, even though I don't like the idea of honking every time.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/01/19 at 08:28:37

Eegore wrote on 04/01/19 at 07:11:30:
 I was hoping to find a switch that didn't require removing your hand from the grip to activate the button.

I may have to try the horn route, even though I don't like the idea of honking every time.

You could mount a small push button on the back of the controls.  I put a small toggle switch on mine for 4-way flashers.  Easy to reach, works fine.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/01/19 at 08:49:54

"You could mount a small push button on the back of the controls.  I put a small toggle switch on mine for 4-way flashers.  Easy to reach, works fine."

Do you have a picture of what you did?  Might be just what I am looking for.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/01/19 at 10:34:23

Eegore wrote on 04/01/19 at 08:49:54:
"You could mount a small push button on the back of the controls.  I put a small toggle switch on mine for 4-way flashers.  Easy to reach, works fine."

Do you have a picture of what you did?  Might be just what I am looking for.

Here ya go.

20190401_102621.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/01/19 at 10:35:37

That's a 2006 left control set, mounted on a 2002, with a toggle switch added for 4-way flashers.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/01/19 at 15:17:50

Thank you, I will see if I can find someone to put something like that together for me.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #12 - 04/02/19 at 02:42:37

Here is a pic of the clamp buttons installed. As you see you can reach it with your thumb, but depends where you put it.

button_1.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #13 - 04/02/19 at 02:43:24

Another view

button.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Tacopimp

ihatemonix.com

South Jersey
Reply #14 - 08/23/19 at 08:14:55

SpamyToo wrote on 04/02/19 at 02:43:24:
Another view

Sorry for bringing up this old topic, but where did you get your brake lever and master cylinder that is black?  Thanks Smiley

2000 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:53:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Momentary lever style switch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.