Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head Plug Replacement Questions (Read 121 times)
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Head Plug Replacement Questions
07/02/19 at 13:57:42

Hey guys, just a couple questions on my head replacement. I noticed L20 in the bottom diagram (circled in red) just appears to be the bolt for the valve inspection cover. Is this true ?Also, my top L60 (circled in red) did not have a gasket. Is this diagram correct? If so I'll order a new one.

I have and plan to use Permatex Black Maximum Oil Resistant Silicon RTV Gasket maker,

https://www.grainger.com/product/2GXZ4

What do you guys think about this? Should I get the grey Permatex instead?

Last but not least I see the torque spec is 8 ft-lbs for he head bolts. How are you guys torque checking these with the motor in the bike? Just by feel?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Head Plug Replacement Questions
Reply #1 - 07/02/19 at 14:02:30

yes L20 is for the valve inspection cover
and L60 requires a sealing washer.
I wouldn't buy just one, they're used several places and the old ones are handy as a lock washer for the side tins.

WWW   IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/02/19 at 14:41:24

Awesome, thanks! Odd it was missing one, it doesn't appear to ever have been apart as the original grey gasket was still present.

Also, I read your guide about using anti-seize and I bought one of your head plugs.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1177184297/3

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/02/19 at 14:54:10

LiftdT4R wrote on 07/02/19 at 13:57:42:
I have and plan to use Permatex Black Maximum Oil Resistant Silicon RTV Gasket maker,

https://www.grainger.com/product/2GXZ4

What do you guys think about this? Should I get the grey Permatex instead?

Most RTV's will work ok, at least for the amount of time that I've had them in there.  However, Honda/yama/zuki/3bond works better as it doesn't cure rock hard.  It remains pliable after setting.  Also, trying to remove RTV off afterwards is a pain vs. the oem stuff peals off as one continuous strip.

Quote:
Last but not least I see the torque spec is 8 ft-lbs for he head bolts. How are you guys torque checking these with the motor in the bike? Just by feel?

Not head bolts, cover bolts.  You can get a 1/4" torque wrench from harbor freight, or there's a purpose built torque wrench that oldfeller found.

WWW   IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/06/19 at 18:51:03

Thanks dude!!

I remember there being a picture of where to apply the gasket maker. Do you happen to have that or a link?

I am guessing you do not apply it to the cam plugs?? Clymer doesnt do a very good job at explaining where the gasket maker goes.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/06/19 at 19:09:29

WWW   IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/09/19 at 05:10:27

Thanks!! So I found this picture:

The German says make sure the retaining plate is tight and make sure to replace the rubber stopper before re-assembling. I guess my question is: Should I be putting any gasket maker on that plug that covers the came shaft or should I just be placing it on the metal mating surfaces?

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/05/19 at 18:15:40

Hey guys so I put this whole thing back together this weekend. I started her up tonight but I have a very pronounced tick tick tick coming from the top end. I made a short video at:
https://files.catbox.moe/4vr0ct.MOV

I adjusted the valves when I was in the top end and I'm thinking I messed something up. Both cams were definitely pointed down. Using my feeler gauges I am pretty sure there was no lash at all when I checked them.

I backed them off to 0.003" and the 0.005" feller will not fit in there so I'm wondering what I messed up? Or, is this what the motor is supposed to sound like? I did not have this ticking before.

Needless to say I didn't run it very long. i shut it down right away. It seems to rev and idle just fine otherwise.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/05/19 at 21:59:10

try adjusting it again.

explain how you set tdc.

WWW   IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/06/19 at 05:14:44

Hey, thanks!! I took the exhaust valve inspection cover off again and sure enough I was able to get a 0.005” feeler gauge in there so I’m going to say my lash is too high. I think I’m going to bend the 2 gauges because they are a giant pain to get in there. I’ll do that and try adjusting again.

I set TDC by aligning the notches on the case. Also, when I had the head cover off I also saw the cams were down.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/06/19 at 07:11:17

LiftdT4R wrote on 08/06/19 at 05:14:44:
I set TDC by aligning the notches on the case. Also, when I had the head cover off I also saw the cams were down.

I ask cause clymer instructions tell you to turn the crank the wrong direction.
turn the crank the same direction the wheels turn to go forward.
watch for the intake valves to go down then about a half turn the notches will line up.

WWW   IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/06/19 at 19:40:14

I think I got it all figured out. When I adjusted the valves the first time the feelers went in on an angle and I'm almost certain I had way more lash than spec'd. When I did them this time I bent the feeler at a 90 and gapped them. The rocker arms have significantly less play in them now.

I also see how having 2 feelers the same size would be a major help. Many times I set one lash correct only to change it when setting the other.

These motors are very tight to get a feller gauge in!!

I'll fire it up again tomorrow and I'm pretty confident it will sound better. Thanks again dude!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/06/19 at 21:29:56

Digger wrote on 05/29/13 at 20:53:56:
I use the Motion Pro feeler gauges: