Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Hello from southern AZ (USA) (Read 527 times)
DesertCat

Re: Hello from southern AZ (USA)
Reply #30 - 07/11/19 at 07:34:40

I've had two Sportsters, a 2004 XL1200R and a 2009 XR1200.  Both were fine motorcycles, I think.

I've also had two MotoGuzzis, a 2000 V11 Jackal and a 2003 V11  Le Mans.  Also fine motorcycles.

(I've had 58 bikes in my 51 years of riding.)

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #31 - 07/11/19 at 08:34:11

MMRanch wrote on 07/10/19 at 20:58:40:
Think about this :   The LS-650 has a 33 year production run ...

I do think that is pretty cool.  Wink

IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #32 - 07/11/19 at 11:35:24

I have a cheap small 3 digit combination lock hanging from my bike. I set the lock to the last 3 digits on my odometer. Now I know how many miles I've gone since my last fill up.

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #33 - 07/11/19 at 11:52:40

WunGun wrote on 07/11/19 at 11:35:24:
I have a cheap small 3 digit combination lock hanging from my bike. I set the lock to the last 3 digits on my odometer. Now I know how many miles I've gone since my last fill up.

=============================

I assume it has a petcock setup for a reserve amount in the tank.  

I'll probably use this old standby procedure:  Sit on the bike, open the tank, shake the bike, listen for how full the tank sounds.   Smiley

« Last Edit: 07/14/19 at 19:26:58 by DesertCat »  
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #34 - 07/14/19 at 19:27:53

I'm 6'2" with 34-in inseam.  Will I fit OK on a completely stock 2012 LS650?  Will I be too cramped?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #35 - 07/14/19 at 21:20:18

The short assure would be "not likely"    That said there are a lot of easy mods.  
I'm 5'10" , 195# , 32" inseams 
My Shocks are 1.5" longer than stock  
My foot begs are now floor-boards
The seat is a re-manufactured HD FatBoy
Now my S-40 fits me like it was made for me !    Wink

I just saw Badwolf's bike  ...his oversize fuel tank has the seat set back about 4 inches - which makes the foot pegs a long stretch - perfect for a long legged person and the added fuel is a bonus too !    And he get to keep all that 650cc pulling power in a 380# package .  

In short , these bikes are so easy to modify that they have a 33 year production run going on and a huge following , it seems everything out there fits them with easy modifications.  Smiley

Yours can fit you too , The combination of ample power and belt drive on a light weight package is a great place to begin building a bike to fit your individual taste and needs.

I ride around with the big Harleys and G-Wings regularly and keeping up is just fine.  It seems we all "Shift" about the same time and accelerate at the same rate off red lights and pass at the same rate .   All is about equal  till we get on the back roads --- then they work to keep up !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #36 - 07/15/19 at 07:13:35

I am 6'3" with 36" inseam and I didn't care for the stock ergonomics.  

I use the bike for my daily commute to work and rode it stock for the first summer I owned it.  My ride home takes me almost an hour (back roads) and I couldn't wait to get off of the bike.  I don't like being stuck in the same spot on the seat and felt that my legs were cramped.  I hated that I couldn't stand up and take a load off my tushy if I wanted.  My only relief was sitting on the passenger portion of the seat for a bit here and there.  I also didn't care for how difficult the stock ergonomics made it to get some weight on the front wheel.

I actually don't like the LS650.  A small bike with forward controls and a low seat height is not ideal for my frame.  It's not my style of bike at all, and I pretty much hate cruisers.  

BUT I love the big single, belt drive, and simplicity of this bike.  I bought the bike to build into the bike I wanted because there aren't a lot of modern bikes that offered what I was looking for.  And, I totally understand why it is loved so much by people who ride them stock or modify them to their liking as I did.  I think that's what makes this forum so great.  It has a truly unique membership.

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #37 - 07/15/19 at 07:19:53

I'm going to call a salesman I know at RideNow and ask him if I can sit on a new (2019) LS650 -- they have two in stock now.  I'm pretty sure that the 2019 will be identical to the stock 2012 that I am looking at.

I won't be making any long trips -- I don't ride like that any more.  Just short 30-50 mile rides thru the surrounding area -- mostly back roads, some city streets, and a short 2-mile stretch of interstate (I-10).

IP Logged
WunGun

No cage

Modesto, Ca
Reply #38 - 07/15/19 at 13:36:07

[/quote]
=============================

I assume it has a petcock setup for a reserve amount in the tank.  

I'll probably use this old standby procedure:  Sit on the bike, open the tank, shake the bike, listen for how full the tank sounds.   Smiley [/quote]

Yeah I have a raptor petcock. I used that method when I got it too. I take it out to places where reserve may not reach the next gas station.

Life should not take you smoothly to your grave in a well preserved body, life should make you come screeching in sideways saying "Holy Sh*t! What a ride."
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #39 - 07/15/19 at 14:17:20

On a stock tank you should be safe for 100 miles maybe 110. The stock capacity is eight litres or just under 2 US gals, the is a 2 litre, roughly 2 US quarts reserve. I have on one occasion squeezed 11 litres into the tank. If you ride more than 120 miles start praying, at 130 miles pray hard.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #40 - 07/16/19 at 10:25:44

Just got back from the dealer.  I sat on a new 2019 LS650.  It fit me pretty good.  I'm not going to be taking any long trips on it, or even any long day-trips.  I have other bikes better suited for that.  I think the stock 2012 LS650 that I am looking at is identical to the 2019 so I'm not worried anymore about being cramped.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #41 - 07/16/19 at 13:08:05

I'm glad it's a fit.  
We had another Tucson member sometime ago, Lupo, that was an avid Guzzi rider.  He said, after getting a Savage, it became his "go to" bike...
He even started riding it on Guzzi meets...
It's just such a friendly bike.

Maybe we can meet up some time, but right now the heat is getting to me.
I'm just a mile from the east-side Ride Now.

Serow

PS.. air conditioning went out yesterday.
I spent the night with a fan and squirt bottle.  
108 degrees killed it.
It's too hot!!!
Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #42 - 07/16/19 at 13:14:49

@Serowbot, Thanks! Stay cool man!

The LS650 looks larger in person than it does in pictures.  The salesman is working up an OTD price for me on the new 2019 LS650.  It is on sale for $5800.  I expect the OTD price to be close to $7000.  It's tempting -- to have a new one.

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #43 - 07/16/19 at 13:29:57

Serowbot wrote on 07/16/19 at 13:08:05:
Maybe we can meet up some time

Thanks.  I sent you a PM.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #44 - 07/16/19 at 13:52:27

DesertCat, if you do buy new it may pay to speak to the dealer about what you can do without invalidating the warranty. As you will be aware from this forum, the stock bikes are jetted very lean, so you will get a lot of back fires, If they are still using IRC tyres as OEM, the rear one is a dog on wet surfaces or tar snakes and undulations in black top. I don't think it would be good on concrete. The rear doesn't last that well either. The rear brake is prone to lock up if you brake hard. The original front brake pads are prone to developing squeal early in the piece, they are not renowned for long life either.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 18:21:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hello from southern AZ (USA)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.