Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Buchanan's Sun Rims
Reply #15 - 05/12/19 at 07:24:09

I replaced the rims and spokes on a 1969 Ducati Monza 250 using Buchanan's equipment and was very happy with the results. Took a bit of time to lace them up but when done they looked and worked great. Lacing up a rim is not for the faint of heart, it takes a goodly bit of time patience to get it right.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #16 - 05/12/19 at 08:00:33

Buchanans makes great stuff and do great work.
However, Woody's wheel works will do a tubeless conversion if you use a 'safety' rim. Last time I asked, Buchanans won't.
I think Woody's uses Buchanans spokes.
Woody's has done a few wheels for me, including the ones on my Savage.
The idea of being able to plug a flat on the road, rather than pull the tire and swap tubes, is very appealing.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #17 - 05/14/19 at 05:17:53

Thanks for all the helpful reviews for Buchanans. Seems like I can’t go wrong with their products.

Looking at the overall cost of the work I wanna do, $1000 at least, has prompted me to consider another alternative.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Complete-Suspension-Units-for-Suzuki-Marauder-800/1780...

Swapping in the front end of a VZ800 would provide the same benefits desired for much less money. Big brake, aluminum rim for tubeless tires, more suspension travel. And supposedly fits right into the LS650 headstock!

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 05/14/19 at 06:53:46

philthymike wrote on 05/14/19 at 05:17:53:
Swapping in the front end of a VZ800 would provide the same benefits desired for much less money. Big brake, aluminum rim for tubeless tires, more suspension travel. And supposedly fits right into the LS650 headstock!

It will fit but you need to cut new threads as the vz headstock is taller.
And there are 2 types, earlier years the offset and the steering stops are a close match for the savage.  
But you will need to set the tank back about an inch unless you like dents.

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #19 - 05/14/19 at 11:45:49

Threading isn’t too hard. Moving the tank back sounds like a pain though. If the tank goes back is there enough wire from the cluster forward or does that need extension?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #20 - 05/14/19 at 12:29:28

The cluster won't be an issue.  The mounts, seat and rear fender will be.  Probably easier to mount a different tank.  Something that sits lower or is thinner at the front.

Lacing up the wheels isn't so bad.  Factory rims and spokes are available from Partzila for less than $500.  Or you can buy used take offs. Or look into GS cast aluminum wheels.

Using aftermarket rims is doable as well, but they need to be properly drilled for the LS650 hubs.  That's where a company like Buchanan is worth their weight.  They will drill blank rims so they will fit your hubs.  I picked up a cheap rim when I converted my rear wheel to 18" and I had to re-drill the rim because it was so poorly done.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #21 - 05/14/19 at 17:08:22

Okay so if I didn’t mind living with a dented tank for awhile I can just mount the front end off the VZ800 onto my LS and ride off into the sunset until I find a new tank that will squeeze in there?

Would the tank from a VZ800 or Intruder 800 or Vulcan 800 fit?
Looking at the Vulcan tank it may actually be the same as the LS650 tank from the looks of it....

When I was talking about money before I was factoring in doing the wheel lacing myself (with instruction from Gary_in_NJ) so just the materials plus drilling. Then add to that the Ryca big brake kit plus fork spring upgrade. A good chunk of change. More than the bike is worth no doubt but that’s not a consideration.
For what the VZ front ends cost $100-300 the above is not such a good deal. And I haven’t talked to the local MC junkyards yet. I might find an entire VZ800 for what the front ends alone go for on Ebay.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #22 - 05/15/19 at 19:22:30

verslagen1 wrote on 05/14/19 at 06:53:46:

And there are 2 types, earlier years the offset and the steering stops are a close match for the savage.  

When you say earlier years what years do you mean? The 90s? The chain drive years?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 05/15/19 at 22:20:58

philthymike wrote on 05/14/19 at 11:45:49:
Threading isn’t too hard. Moving the tank back sounds like a pain though. If the tank goes back is there enough wire from the cluster forward or does that need extension?

It's easy.
You need to spacers that will fit in between the tank, rubbers and frame.
One spacer will be drilled and tapped for 5/16 allen head bolts.
The other is a thru hole.  the rubbers fit tight on the 5/16 bolts heads.
You'll need a short one and a long one that goes thru the spacer frame and halfway thru the threaded spacer.
Then figure how far back by turning full lock and place the tank on the frame.
You might have to space it up to have clearance for the wires.
Slip a spacer and rubber in between the frame and tank and mark the location on the frame.
Drill a hole thru the frame at that location and bolt the 2 spacers in place and place the rubbers on.
Ok, that takes care of the front.
For the back you'll make a plate that bolts into the stock tank locates and will locate 2 new holes centered on the tank mounting holes.
I used pressed in threaded inserts, but you can just tap the plate if it's thick enough.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 05/15/19 at 22:24:57

philthymike wrote on 05/15/19 at 19:22:30:
verslagen1 wrote on 05/14/19 at 06:53:46:

When you say earlier years what years do you mean? The 90s? The chain drive years?

I used an 01.  newer years are closer to the stem and you'll have to space the tank even further back.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 05/15/19 at 22:33:40

philthymike wrote on 05/14/19 at 17:08:22:
Okay so if I didn’t mind living with a dented tank for awhile I can just mount the front end off the VZ800 onto my LS and ride off into the sunset until I find a new tank that will squeeze in there?

Would the tank from a VZ800 or Intruder 800 or Vulcan 800 fit?
Looking at the Vulcan tank it may actually be the same as the LS650 tank from the looks of it....

When I was talking about money before I was factoring in doing the wheel lacing myself (with instruction from Gary_in_NJ) so just the materials plus drilling. Then add to that the Ryca big brake kit plus fork spring upgrade. A good chunk of change. More than the bike is worth no doubt but that’s not a consideration.
For what the VZ front ends cost $100-300 the above is not such a good deal. And I haven’t talked to the local MC junkyards yet. I might find an entire VZ800 for what the front ends alone go for on Ebay.

what tank you use... you'll have to figure out.
The vz800 wheel is a smaller diameter.
I used an EN500 wheel.  The axles are different diameter and the wheel bearings don't swap.  At least the disc was the same diameter.

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #26 - 05/16/19 at 19:38:21

verslagen1 wrote on 05/15/19 at 22:33:40:
philthymike wrote on 05/14/19 at 17:08:22:
Okay so if I didn’t mind living with a dented tank for awhile

what tank you use... you'll have to figure out.
The vz800 wheel is a smaller diameter.
I used an EN500 wheel.  The axles are different diameter and the wheel bearings don't swap.  At least the disc was the same diameter.

I’m thinking of using the Marauders wheel. The tire that goes on it is nearly as wide as the rear tire on my bike and that kinda appeals to me despite the smaller rim.
Regarding the tank, you’re right about moving the tank back. Less work and less expensive too. I really want to avoid anything that may require welding.

verslagen1 wrote on 05/15/19 at 22:20:58:
philthymike wrote on 05/14/19 at 11:45:49:

It's easy.
You need to spacers that will fit in between the tank, rubbers and frame.
One spacer will be drilled and tapped for 5/16 allen head bolts.
The other is a thru hole.  the rubbers fit tight on the 5/16 bolts heads.
You'll need a short one and a long one that goes thru the spacer frame and halfway thru the threaded spacer.
Then figure how far back by turning full lock and place the tank on the frame.
You might have to space it up to have clearance for the wires.
Slip a spacer and rubber in between the frame and tank and mark the location on the frame.
Drill a hole thru the frame at that location and bolt the 2 spacers in place and place the rubbers on.
Ok, that takes care of the front.
For the back you'll make a plate that bolts into the stock tank locates and will locate 2 new holes centered on the tank mounting holes.
I used pressed in threaded inserts, but you can just tap the plate if it's thick enough.

Thanks! I’m picturing it in my head except for the spacers. What do I use for them?
And what to do with the seat tongue flange that shares the tanks rear mounting bolts?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 05/16/19 at 23:08:19

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #28 - 05/17/19 at 05:14:01

Awesome! Thanks that’s a big help!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #29 - 05/21/19 at 15:21:34

So I’m starting to source the VZ800 parts after striking out with the local options. Any good suggestions?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 12:54:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buchanan's Sun Rims

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.