Buchanan's Sun Rims (Read 256 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Buchanan's Sun Rims
05/11/19 at 13:55:13

Anyone here ever had dealings with these folks?
http://www.buchananspokes.com/categories/rims_sun.asp

All the winter riding I’ve done has trashed my wheels and spokes. The thought of taking the wheels apart for refinishing is grossing me out. The chintzy Suzuki chrome has to go away though. Buy OEM black rims is an expensive proposition....
As much as getting custom made wheels in fact.
And there’s an opportunity to lighten the bike in the process.
So I’m thinking of contacting these people and getting a custom wheel with an aluminum rim.
Anyone done this?

Any reason I shouldn’t?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Buchanan's Sun Rims
Reply #1 - 05/11/19 at 14:40:24

I've only heard good things about Buchanan. But have never used them myself.

I'd recommend contacting them, bet you won't be disappointed.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2 - 05/11/19 at 15:11:30

I read some good reviews about them.
They’ve got the right size rim too.
RSWM319      SUN WM3 (2.15) x 19" ALUMINUM RIM      $245.00      

Too bad they don’t have the rear size...

I need to find out the cost including labor and drilling.
I will contact them and find out.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/11/19 at 15:53:57

I buy their Excel rims, stainless spokes and nipples from them when I build wheels.  It takes me a very long time to get the wheels true, and it makes me want to just send them my hub and let them do the work and cussing next time.

They are a class act.....building wheels is all they do!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #4 - 05/11/19 at 16:03:59

Good on you for building wheels. I neither have the time or patience but it would be really cool to learn one day. One time in Philly a car hit my parked mountain bike and bent the rear wheel and I was sure I’d need a new one but the bike shop mechanic managed to true it somehow. I’m still riding that wheel and I’ve got a ton of respect for people that know this black magic.

Nice to hear some good stuff about this place from people who’s opinions I trust!

So that’s it? Just send the hub and they’ll figure out the rest?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/11/19 at 16:13:22

philthymike wrote on 05/11/19 at 15:11:30:
I read some good reviews about them.
They’ve got the right size rim too.
RSWM319      SUN WM3 (2.15) x 19" ALUMINUM RIM      $245.00      

Too bad they don’t have the rear size...

I need to find out the cost including labor and drilling.
I will contact them and find out.

If they had 16" I would go that route, 130/90-16 fits fine in the swingarm.

But here's dave's recommendation...

Dave wrote on 09/28/15 at 05:33:23:
I have been searching for the "perfect" rear tire size to work with the 2.50x18 rear rim (the 130/70-18 is not made to fit a 3.50x18 rim)....and I believe I have found it.

A 120/80-18 rear tire is available in the Pirelli Sport Demon, Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires.  This tire is measured at 120mm wide on a 2.75x18 rim - but is suitable for use on rim widths from 2.15-3.00.  This will get you the most usable tread on the 2.50 rim - the 130/70 tire is only 116mm wide when squeezed on the narrow rim....and the tread is rolled over onto the sidewall where it can't be used.

I have used a 110/80-18 tire for one summer and it proved to be plenty of tire for the weight/HP of the bike - however it does look just a bit narrow on the bike.  I believe the 120/80-18 will be a better choice (better than the 130/70-18) on the 2.50-18 rim.  If you want to use the 130/70-18....you really should have a 3.50x18 rear rim.

(NOTE:  I had been looking to see if a 4.00-18 size might be a good fit, as some tires are offered in that size and it does work on the 2.50x18 rim.  It turns out the 4.00-18 tires are really tall.  The 110/80 tire is 630mm OD, the 120/80-18 tire is 654mm OD, the 130/70-18 is 637mm OD....the 4.00-18 tire is 675mm OD.)

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #6 - 05/11/19 at 16:34:59

One of the other brands of rims they carry offers a 16 X 3 but it’s chrome steel and costs alot of money - $385  Shocked

I think I just have to accept that the only way to clean up that rear is to buy an OEM from Suzuki for a blacked out recent model.
Also very expensive...

Maybe for the rear I may have to just suck it up and take the thing apart and have it stripped and powdered.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 05/11/19 at 17:07:20

Instead of making another thread I’m gonna post my 2019 plans for my Thumpy here so those of you generous and helpful people have some idea of what the heck I’m trying to do with my bike.

Since the big splurge on Thumpys motor two years ago alot has happened. I got a Ducati and focused on it alot for a year. Then last year I was out of work the entire year. During that year the Ducati had an electronic failure I couldn’t possibly afford to fix on unemployment. So Thumpy became my main ride again and I couldn’t afford to maintain the bike except oil and stuff that doesn’t cost money. The bike has had the snot beaten out of it during this time.
Next weekend the Duck is going to the shop to get its expensive repairs done. When I get her back I’m gonna take Thumpy off the road and spend the rest of the year remediating issues and addressing crap I wanna change and improve upon.

Anyway here’s the short list.

Rust and corrosion. Lots of it! Tons of it!
Clutch. It’s outa there. Barnett to the rescue!
Fork seals. They’re outa there!
Big brake kit. Bike is faster but stopping isn’t....

So that’s the major stuff. Honestly I’m alright with corrosion and rust but the milky rust spotted chrome is just horrid and has to all die with fire and blood and death.

I’m also very much about losing even more weight. There’s not a whole lot more I can squeeze from the engine so losing weight is just as good in my book. As it is alot of stuff is gone. But what remains can be replaced with lighter stuff to some extent.

So that’s what crazy crap is running through my head these days regarding Thumpy.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/11/19 at 17:50:21

Are you keeping the bike as a cruiser.....or making the style resemble a Cafe' or Tracker or Bobber or standard?

If you are staying cruiser...then a 16" wheel would be nice as you can get tires that get decent mileage....or go to a 18x3.50 rim and mount a 130/70-18 tire - just be aware that the tires you get in that size are sport touring tires that stick like glue and wear like bubble gum (8,000 miles is about as much as you can expect from the rear tire).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #9 - 05/11/19 at 18:03:32

No nothing radical for Thumpy. I can afford a bike that looks great or a bike that performs great, not both. And I like the regular cruiser look of the LS650. It’s that classic look that the Sportster had several decades ago before becoming transmogrified into the ugly collection of parts it looks like now.
The raked out forks, no front fender, that downward sweep of the rear fender and the big chunky rear tire on a tiny rim. It’s a badass looking bike when you shave off the factory fluff.

As for tires I’m stoked about the Avon rubber I’m running now. It’s been on the bike for a year with constant use all year long and I cannot find a complaint with it. It still looks unused after the thousands of miles on it. Can’t even detect any signs of wear yet!

The 16” does have some good benefits as you said. Maybe a worthwhile swap if I do decide to tackle the back rim. I’ll admit for what the front wheel is gonna cost alone I may decide to put resources on more urgent stuff. I’ve also been tossing around the idea of redoing the forks and if I go down that rabbit hole the wheel budget will likely get consumed.
I’m gonna give it thought though.

And forgot to mention that the Avon tire eliminated that contant flat tire crap I had to deal with every other month before. I haven’t had a flat since putting it on!

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #10 - 05/12/19 at 03:17:34

Buchanan is a top notch spoke company.  They are also one of the most expensive.  I have been using their stuff since the 80's, its never disappointed.  

But I also think you can do a lot more with your money.  There are a ton of rim makers that make what you need at a much much lower price.  Then you can use Buchanan spokes or there are others that make these too.

If you dont want to lace them, then buy the parts and have a local yocal lace them up for you, still would be cheaper.

Personally I just cant see spending $500-1000 per wheel when you can do both yourself for more like $300.

And I dont think Buchanan makes Excel, that is RK that makes those.

WWW   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #11 - 05/12/19 at 04:48:46

As much as I like the idea of saving money the local guys in my area aren't good for that. I live in a East Coast city where everyone is out to rob you.
There used to be 2 local guys who were worthwhile but one got into a horrific accident and the other just vanished. What's left is a place nearby but they only work on Harleys, and another place run by a bunch of drugged up kids who do sloppy work and bill you a whole lot more than their estimates. The rest is stealerships.

So it's all the same money wise so I'd just as well pay the top notch guys instead of the druggies or get the non-Harley hate fee.

Except for the wheels I intend to do all the work myself for the rest of it.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 05/12/19 at 05:43:55

I’ve had good luck with Buchanan rims. If you want to lace them up yourself, let me know if you want help. I’m probably just a 60-90 minute drive for you. I learned how to lace and true wheels a few years back and I have to say, it’s quite fun and satisfying.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #13 - 05/12/19 at 05:47:31

Heck yeah! It would be awesome to have someone teach this to me. It’s really cool of you!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #14 - 05/12/19 at 06:09:13

Do you really want to spend that much money and still end up with spoked rims you need to put tubes in? Ever pick up a nail on the road?
There are a lot of cast rims that can be used that you can run tubeless.  Plugging a tire on the road is simple and I carry a mountan bike pump. A flat with a tubed tire spoils your whole day! (or 2)
If you want to stay with spokes several of us have stock wheels we don't use any more and would sell cheap! (I have 2 sets that are near new)

If you need someone to lace up your rims, go to a good mountain bike shop, they do it all the time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 03:10:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buchanan's Sun Rims

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.