Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Bike Build:  Junkyard Dog (Read 1698 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bike Build:  Junkyard Dog
Reply #45 - 01/24/19 at 23:48:37

I understood, but it's better to be clear than risk it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #46 - 01/25/19 at 00:45:37

Making the edges black will improve it a lot IMHO

Hiko   IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 02/04/19 at 17:51:05

I think I finally got my electronics set up the way I like it..... only took three different configurations.  Mounted between the rear frame rails using two original fender mounts.  Leaves the center of the bike wide open.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #48 - 02/05/19 at 22:27:49

I think I would have extended the base of the plate and used the old battery box mounting bolts to better secure the base ,  rather than wire ties ,that are subject to snap ,due to wind pressure or vibration ,and bolted the rectifier tight to the plate for the same reasons and to shed more of it's heat.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 02/06/19 at 07:12:28

Batman,  I wasn't sure if I bolted the rectifier directly to the plate and allowed the heat to disperse through the metal... would it make the plate too hot for the other components on the other side of the plate? I don't know how much heat it will dissipate.

I didn't think about those bolts for mounting the bottom of the plate (that's a great idea), because I am already using those 4 bolts for another purpose. But, there is really no reason why I can't use those bolts for both. Hmmmm.....

Thanks for the suggestions.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #50 - 02/06/19 at 08:15:14

Seeing how the plate is exposed to the air ,I doubt it would hold enough heat to damage any of the other components . I would be worried that the rectifier ,spaced out from the plate may vibrate(over time) enough to damage it's mounting points, as the back of it is not solid metal, but more like a frame work, with ears on each end that the mounting bolts pass through. Suzuki created a flat surface ,built into the fender for a reason (I believe) ,they could have chosen to mount it as you have it would have been much easier /cheaper ,but they didn't. (that should tell us something)

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #51 - 02/06/19 at 09:14:37

In the last photo the little pod filter is on the breather hose correct? If so shouldn't it ideally be pointed up? I'm fixing to replace my airbox with one as well.

Edit: Also! Have you fired her up? I'm curious how it sounds with that absolutely huge filter. I know mine got noticeably louder with the pod filter versus the standard airbox.

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 02/06/19 at 13:02:19

Batman, I'll make the change to the rectifier and keep an eye on the plate for overheating.  However, I think I am going to switch the plastic zip tie with a metal hose clamp to hold the plate down at the bottom.... see how that works for me.  If it looks like it is coming loose, I will make the change to the metal plate to utilize the battery mounting bolts.

ZSteele, I have seen other bikes on this forum with the small pod filter mounted as I have it.  I cannot tell you if this is correct or not.  No, I have not fired it up.  It will be several months before I start it.  The gas tank is off and will have work done to it, then painted.  Plus, I am planning to enlarge the exhaust port and fabricate a larger diameter custom exhaust.  Once I do that, I will fire it up when I am prepared to have my carb rejetted for the expected increased air input and exhaust

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #53 - 02/06/19 at 14:57:21

Looking forward to the day, bike looks great!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #54 - 02/06/19 at 19:44:20

Zsteele,   The hose is arched going over the top of the motor for a good reason, the tube breaths in and out , when the piston moves down it relieves some of the air pressure under it ,in the power and intake strokes ,helping the motor to use less power. In the process the air carries oil fumes and mist , water vapor and possibly gas vapors.( gas and water vaporize at 125 & 89 F -oil temper in the bottom of the motor runs at least 270F)  The heavier oil mist collects on a screen just inside the head ,the oil fumes , water and gas vapors pass down and out the hose.  and when the piston moves up in the compression and exhaust,  this(good) oil on the screen is carried back into the motor.
     If you point the filter upward ,the vapors (oil pollutants which could cool and condense ) would also return to the motor. water and gas make poor lubricant . So would the dust in the outside air carried in when the piston is moving up thus the need to filter it .

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 02/10/19 at 14:33:37

Got some work in this weekend....

Used 1 1/2" angle iron to mount my TC Bros rear fender to the swing arm.  Welded the angle iron to the swingarm.

Cut small pieces of 1/2" thick wood and taped to the inside of the fender to use as a spacer between the tire and fender.

Cut the fender

Took a stock TC Bros sissy bar and made some modifications using an oxy-acetylene torch and arc welder

Welded tabs to both sides of the swing arm

Installed

PS: the rear of the seat isn't mounted yet

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 02/16/19 at 09:18:41

Finally got around to the seat. I purchased it through Facebook Marketplace, and the seller hid the fact that there was writing on the back of the seat when he listed it, and I bought it.  Oh well..... ended up dying the leather edges black to hide the lettering.

Cut the Pro Dye 50/50 with the Dye Reducer.  Ended up putting on three coats.  Will treat the entire seat with the Resolene tomorrow.

Finished with the Dye.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #57 - 02/16/19 at 13:19:08

Great solution on the seat. And no one will ever know. Looks like you're having fun and moving things along a nice brisk pace. Keep it up!

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 02/18/19 at 17:28:49

I've been going back and forth on the exhaust.  I thought I was going to enlarge the port and make a custom header/exhaust.  But, I've been reading on here that the best results are with a Dyna Muffler.

Are there certain (Dyna) years I should be looking for?  Should I stick with an actual OEM Harley Dyna muffler..or look for aftermarket mufflers that fit a Dyna?

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 02/18/19 at 18:12:05

OK, I found Serowbot's thread from 2011.  I ordered a Dyna muffler - P/N 65747-94 off ebay.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 05:27:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Build:  Junkyard Dog

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.