Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Bike Build:  Junkyard Dog (Read 1698 times)
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bike Build:  Junkyard Dog
Reply #60 - 02/24/19 at 13:56:16

almost done fabricating...

Added $3.00 flea market ape hangers. With the 16 inch apehangers...needed to extend my wiring

extended by 12 inches

Headlight bracket / extension was required since the headlight is so big

The cables need to be extended by 17 inches.  Will send them out.

Stop light installed

Tank needs a bit more work, then ready for paint

The bike as it sits tonight

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 02/27/19 at 17:49:58

a buddy of mine did a couple welds on my tank.....   i'm getting excited.  Almost time to start painting and putting it back together.

2019-02-27_fuel_sight_gauge_welded_bungs.jpeg
  IP Logged
Justjoshin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 03/03/19 at 16:54:51

Nice work! Some good ideas for the electronics for sure. I have might have to use that idea on my build!

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 03/09/19 at 15:06:40

putting it back together.....

got my cables extended by 17 inches

The $3.00 flea market ape hangers had a bunch of paint overspray on it.  It cleaned up great using paint stripper

Extended cables and wiring installed, ape hangers cleaned up and new classic grips installed.  Not sure if I will leave the mirrors where you see them, or move them to each side on the bar.

I saw a picture of someone else that had mounted a bottle opener on their bike.  I liked it.  These pics were taken last week prior to painting the tank.

Painted the tank (rattle-can) and installed the fuel sight gauge

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 03/10/19 at 16:02:53

wrapped my stock exhaust, painted it, then cured it in the garage oven.

I won't be able to work on the bike for the next 3 to 4 weeks.....so I thought I'd do a little photo shoot.  Basically, I need to put on the wheels/tires, headlight and tail light, then wire all lights and blinkers....

Hooked up a Dyna muffler.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #65 - 03/11/19 at 01:49:22

Playhard, I really love where your goin with the JYD.  It's just so unique.  Those little touches like the sight gage on the tank and the bottle opener, they're KILLER.  That little scooter is gonna be a real crowd pleaser.  You're gonna get loads of attention everywhere you go.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #66 - 03/11/19 at 15:50:41

Thanks DBM, I'm looking forward to getting it finished just in time for riding season!

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 03/21/19 at 15:01:27

while waiting on parts that are being powder coated, I got some graphics made.....

This bike build is in honor of my son (the bike was his first street bike back in 2007) who was killed in a plane crash.  He walked this earth 9810 days...

Labeled my fuel sight gauge...

I designed the font on the sight gauge to match my sons favorite hat he wore while in high school...

I should be done the build in the next couple weeks.  Just in time for riding season!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #68 - 03/21/19 at 16:01:10

Doesn't appear you will be riding your motorcycle (or wearing your son's  hat) to the Sunday Social at church.   Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #69 - 03/25/19 at 10:34:43

Great work and great post this far PlayHard67! The whole project is looking GREAT

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #70 - 03/25/19 at 11:43:59

Probably a dumb question Playhard, but while researching the Antigravity battery site, they state
"Use only Lithium specific Motorsport Chargers to charge this battery! Do not use Lead/Acid Chargers". Did you have to do any mods to the charging system to use the antigravity lithium battery?

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #71 - 03/25/19 at 12:02:38

madmikesmech wrote on 03/25/19 at 11:43:59:
Probably a dumb question Playhard, but while researching the Antigravity battery site, they state
"Use only Lithium specific Motorsport Chargers to charge this battery! Do not use Lead/Acid Chargers". Did you have to do any mods to the charging system to use the antigravity lithium battery?

There shouldn't be any problem with the bikes charging system and the LiPo batteries.  The issue is with modern battery chargers that have auto desulfinating circuits that will destroy a LiPo battery.

WWW   IP Logged
BayRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #72 - 03/25/19 at 13:16:57

I would use a Buck converter for controlling LED voltage. The voltage goes up and down a bit on a charging system and can fry LEDs. https://www.ebay.com/p/Lm2596-Dc-dc-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-Power-Sup... These are the bomb for running other DC voltages off a DC supply.
playhard67 wrote on 01/20/19 at 13:25:40:
Worked on my rear turn signals.  Converted them to LED.  I'll add the resistors under the seat.

https://i.imgur.com/npiLG80l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AprdGtRl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nsjgZoZl.jpg

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #73 - 03/25/19 at 14:27:41

verslagen1 wrote on 03/25/19 at 12:02:38:
madmikesmech wrote on 03/25/19 at 11:43:59:

There shouldn't be any problem with the bikes charging system and the LiPo batteries.  The issue is with modern battery chargers that have auto desulfinating circuits that will destroy a LiPo battery.

Thanks Versey! Good to know

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 03/25/19 at 17:36:31

Looks like I missed a bit today.  Glad Versey answered your LiPo question MadMike.  I have a Lithium battery on another bike and have had no problems with the bike charging system....but, know that I can't use a standard trickle charger on the battery.

BayRider, I haven't finalized the wiring yet.  I do have the resistors already just haven't hooked it all up (my taillight and headlight are at the powder coaters).  How do these Buck convertors work?  is it one per LED?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 21:19:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Build:  Junkyard Dog

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.