Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Bike Build:  Junkyard Dog (Read 1698 times)
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bike Build:  Junkyard Dog
Reply #75 - 03/31/19 at 18:54:34

Got a call from the powder coater.  While sandblasting the headlight bucket, he noticed there were 4 dents that had been bondo'd.  He removed the bondo and gave me the bucket back to fix.

I pounded out the dents, then used JB Weld to smooth out the bucket.  This pic is prior to sanding.  The  JB Weld will allow the powder coat to adhere and will be able to withstand the high temp oven.

2019-03-31_jb_weld.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #76 - 03/31/19 at 19:06:57

JB weld is epoxy based ,not sure it will hold up to a temperature much over 150 F ,how high is powder coat at?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #77 - 03/31/19 at 19:23:36

B KwikWeld cures to a dark grey color, is rated at a tensile strength of 2424 PSI and will withstand temperatures up to 300ºF.

The curing process for powder coating is normally done in a special oven; the coating has to be exposed to a temperature range of 350 to 400 degrees .

https://www.jbweld.com/products/highheat-epoxy-putty

HIGHHEAT EPOXY PUTTY
$ 7.99

HighHeat is a hand mixable epoxy putty stick specifically formulated to bond and repair materials that will be exposed to high temperatures in automotive and industrial maintenance applications. It cures to a tough, hard bond with little to no shrinkage. This industrial-strength product outperforms conventional epoxy putties at high temperatures and sets in 1 hour at room temperature. After 8 hours, it can be drilled, tapped, machined, ground, filed and painted. HighHeat is rated at a tensile strength of 800 PSI and cures to a machine grey in color. It is able to withstand continuous heat exposure of 400ºF and intermittent heat exposure to 550ºF

GREAT FOR

Before I dropped the cash for the bucket, I'd take a piece of metal approximately the same thickness, JB weld some of it and see if it survives the powder coat process.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #78 - 03/31/19 at 20:51:25

Good info thanks JOG. I watched a video using an oven designed for powder coating and it was set to 400F and found out not to use mom's oven , as after it can't be used to prepare food later.

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #79 - 04/01/19 at 03:40:15

Thanks for the replies.  My powder coater said that JB Weld would be fine.  I didn't realize that there is a heat difference between the kwik weld and original formula.  Looks like Kwik Weld can withstand up to 300 degrees, while original weld can withstand up to 500 degrees.

Shoulda' went with the original formula.....

Looks like I have some decisions to make.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #80 - 04/01/19 at 04:14:10

I have been powder coating at home, and trying to fill dents is a big problem for me.

I have tried JBWeld, and it does hold up to the powder coating temperature long enough to get it baked.  My problem with it is the powder isn't attracted (electrostatic) the same as it is the bare metal.....and the finish turns out badly.

I have also tried LabMetal.  It is supposed to apply like body putty and you can sand it.  The problem is that it uses a solvent like acetone and it sets up so fast you get very little time to spread it.....you only get one pass before the surface is dry.  It sands very hard, and it doesn't feather edge well.....so the finish shows a fine line and the powder cures differently so you can see where the LabMetal is.  There is a YouTube video that shows a fellow painting a motorcycle tank black after using LabMetal and it works perfectly - I tried using it about 20 times and it never worked for me.  The product needs to be fresh and it goes bad in the can....there is an expiration date on the can.  I tried both types multiple times - one cures at room temperature and can be baked in a powder coating oven once....the other type needs to be baked and it can be heated multiple times.

I have also tried using Eastwoods Lead kit.  You only get one try to make it right.....unlike body filler you can't add more and re-sand/file - as adding heat and more solder melts everything and you are starting over.

There is supposed to be some new wonder "filler" for powder coating - I don't know what the name is.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #81 - 04/01/19 at 12:53:30

I am currently testing JB Weld products in preparation for my cylinder head mods.  Regular JB Weld is rated at 500F continuous and 600F intermittent.  The regular JB Weld can take the heat.  But as Dave stated, he has tried it and it doesn't take the powder coat well.  He mentioned problems with the electrostatic attraction.

JB Weld also makes a product called "Extreme Heat".  Don't confuse it with the "High Heat" putty log.  The Extreme Heat product is paste, single component (no hardener), and it is good to 2300F.  I don't see adhesion strength as too much of a problem in your cosmetic application.  The Extreme Heat paste is loaded with steel fines.  That might work better with the electrostatic adhesion issue.

Looking at your picture of the headlight shell, I believe I see proud areas that are going to look bad once its coated.  If you have a shrinking hammer and some dollies, you might want to try and shrink the proud areas so they don't stand out after you use the filler.

Considering that you want to powder coat, maybe you could try brazing or silver soldering to fill in the dents, and then carefully blend as if it was body filler.  To me, that would be a project that required some major league skills.  

Why not just use the old tried and true body filler and glazing putty followed up by a beautiful coating of lacquer or polyurethane paint? I bet it will look real nice.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #82 - 04/01/19 at 18:44:36

Wow, Thanks for all the replies and personal experience.  Has anyone tried this:  Thermobond-3

http://www.thermobond3.com/index

https://www.powdercoatingonline.com/thermobond-3-powder-coating-metal-repair-...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #83 - 04/01/19 at 20:56:31

I would think a " junkyard dog " to have dents, I would have left them an powder coated anyway(. women dig scars ?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #84 - 04/02/19 at 03:39:25

HaHa, you are absolutely right Batman...and I was thiiiiiiis close to leaving the dents on the bucket.  But, one dent in particular was in a prominent spot and I just couldn't do it.

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #85 - 04/02/19 at 03:40:57

Time to remove the Kwik Weld.  smh

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #86 - 04/02/19 at 11:49:14

That Thermobond 3 stuff looks interesting.  If you use it, let us know how it works.  Thanks for the links.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #87 - 04/02/19 at 15:46:24

DragBikeMike wrote on 04/02/19 at 11:49:14:
That Thermobond 3 stuff looks interesting.  If you use it, let us know how it works.  Thanks for the links.

I ordered it directly from the company in CA.  I should have it in time for the weekend.  I'll write up a report on it.

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #88 - 04/05/19 at 05:49:43

I got the Thermobond-3 yesterday and was able to put it onto the headlight bucket.  This filler is specifically made to be powdercoated over.

Looks like it is on pretty thick.......  lots of sanding ahead for me this weekend.

I called this company before I applied it so I could talk with a technical rep.  They had a rep call me back within an hour, and she (Colleen) went over the entire process.  Answered all questions.  She told me I have her cell phone and to call her if I had anymore questions.  Great service.

You stick the tub into the microwave for no longer than 15 seconds...then stir.  Then, if needed, another 15 seconds then stir.  I put it in for 30 seconds total.  It is supposed to be the consistency of Silly Putty.

Apply the product to the bucket and press on it hard for 30 seconds with your GLOVED hand.  Need to keep the oils from your skin off the product.  It should not be thicker than 1/4 inch.  If needed, you can apply additional layers after curing inbetween.

Again...I'm not looking forward to sanding this.

Thankfully I have an oven in my garage.  Depending on the temperature in the oven, will depend on how long to cure it.  At 375 degrees it should be left in the oven for 10 minutes.  At 400 degrees, for 7 minutes.

Here's what it looked like after 10 minutes.  Looks like the top of the bucket was too close to the top of the oven, so that got cooked a little more.  It did not crack, so I should be ok.

This product cannot be wet sanded, and no other liquid should be applied to it.  Any liquid applied to the product at this stage will introduce the possibility of out-gassing and blistering.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #89 - 04/05/19 at 06:05:23

Wowee!  That looks like a lot of sanding!

To get something really smooth - I have always needed to use filler, then sand, then more filler, then sand.....each time the results are smoother.

I can't see how the fill/sand and fill/sand process works when they stuff goes on so thickly!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 12:21:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Build:  Junkyard Dog

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.