Send Topic Print
Bike keeps dying (Read 176 times)
Cbiscut05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike keeps dying
12/16/18 at 16:44:17

I went for a ride today luckily with my girlfriend following me in her car. I was fine for about 10 miles and then while making a right hand turn and giving the bike gas the bike lost all power and died on me.   I pulled over turned the bike off, then back on and then started it again and it was fine.  I drove 3 blocks and while shifting from 2nd to 3rd the same thing happened. Repeated the same thing as before and it happened again. My bike is now parked in a neighborhood with a dead battery and couldn’t get it to bump start, anyone have any ideas what’s wrong?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bike keeps dying
Reply #1 - 12/16/18 at 17:23:09

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 12/16/18 at 17:24:21

Old battery? low fluid level ,  bad(dirty) battery cable connections,  ( check the ground cable under the casing bolt,  near the oil sight glass) . I'd get cables and jump the bike off your girl's car (car not running). get it home and you can test the alternator ,battery etc. with a volt/ohm meter.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/16/18 at 17:28:41

(Sorry for the repeat of what Verslagen posted....we were evidently typing at the same time and he hit the send button first).

Do you still have the stock vacuum operated petcock - the diaphragms go bad and they either get stiff and fail to allow fuel to flow....or they get holes in them and flow fuel down the vacuum line.  It sounds like your likely is not flowing enough fuel - try turning the petcock to PRI which will bypass the diaphragm.

The kickstand safety switch can also be a problem.  This will kill the spark circuit if the circuit thinks your sidestand is down while the bike is in gear.  The test is to see if the bike runs when in neutral....if it stalls when you try to put it in gear, then the problem is likely the sidestand safety switch.  You can bypass the switch by going to the connector that is on the left side, just above the engine pulley cover, it is fastened to the frame with a plastic tie.  Disconnect the connector, and run a jumper wire between the terminals on the harness that is on the top (the lower harness goes to the kickstand switch).  If the bike runs well with the jumper wire installed.....it proves the problem is in the switch.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cbiscut05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/16/18 at 17:57:22

Bike has a brand new battery and I just filled the tank up after my last 70 mike ride last weekend. I don’t know if the petcock is the stock one or not since I just got the bike 1 1/2 months ago.   Also I’ve had the carburetor flood on me twice while riding and I’ve just pulled over and let it do it’s thing til it stops and then start the bike back up

IP Logged
Cbiscut05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/16/18 at 18:34:14

It’s a 1988 with 8300 miles

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #6 - 12/16/18 at 19:11:05

If the petcock has a vacuum line going to it it is OE. If it is try it in the PRI position.
As for the battery. If it's not being charged new won't matter if it's new. Still need to check the state of charge. Testing beats guessing.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 12/16/18 at 21:14:15

And if the carb has flooded and you just let it run you had better check your oil level ,  it could have flooded your crank case ,and gas is a lousy lubricant .Wrench first/ride later ,works best.

IP Logged
Cbiscut05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/17/18 at 04:24:43

Anyone know what carb this is? It’s a Mikuni but I don’t know the model number and need to buy a rebuild kit

B37FAAE5-9F10-4D15-B56C-0BE0ED7B63B4.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/17/18 at 05:50:46

From the looks of those hoses on the vents.....somebody has been fooling around with that carb before you got to it.

Here are stock carb specs:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

You most likely don't need a rebuild kit - just a good cleaning to get the crud out.  Most rebuild kits don't likely have the proper jets anyhow.

I would suggest starting with a #150 main, and a #52.5 pilot jet if you are near sea level....over 2,000 feet a #50 pilot.  Then replace the white spacer on the needle with 3 washers (size #3 machine screw - get steel as brass often has too big of an outside diameter).  If you end up having a slight lean surge at very low throttle settings - remove 1 steel washer and try running just 2 washers.

Can you show me a photo of the other side of the carb?  I want to see if somebody took out the brass plug over the mixture screw......and see if there is a port for the charcoal canister on the California model carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cbiscut05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/17/18 at 09:02:49

Dave wrote on 12/17/18 at 05:50:46:
From the looks of those hoses on the vents.....somebody has been fooling around with that carb before you got to it.

Here are stock carb specs:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

You most likely don't need a rebuild kit - just a good cleaning to get the crud out.  Most rebuild kits don't likely have the proper jets anyhow.

I would suggest starting with a #150 main, and a #52.5 pilot jet if you are near sea level....over 2,000 feet a #50 pilot.  Then replace the white spacer on the needle with 3 washers (size #3 machine screw - get steel as brass often has too big of an outside diameter).  If you end up having a slight lean surge at very low throttle settings - remove 1 steel washer and try running just 2 washers.

Can you show me a photo of the other side of the carb?  I want to see if somebody took out the brass plug over the mixture screw......and see if there is a port for the charcoal canister on the California model carb.

I live in California and I’ll send you a picture of the carb on both sides when I get home tonight

IP Logged
Cbiscut05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/17/18 at 09:06:59

When I took the carb off last night there was about 5oz of gas in it. I ended up pouring it all out and it’s sitting on my counter drying out

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 12/17/18 at 09:37:30

Use of a soldering gun/iron directly on the head of a screw ,will localize heat and should help soften lock-tite.

BE AWARE THAT THE SCREWS ON THE CARB AREN'T PHILLIPSHEAD , THEY ARE J.I.S.  ( JAPANESE INDUSTRIAL STANDARD)  . You can buy JIS ,or carefully grind /file the sharp  pointed tips  of a Phillipshead until the four blades fit completely down into the screw heads to prevent striping .Very important  when removing the two very small (soft)brass screws inside the slide if your doing the spacer mod.

« Last Edit: 12/17/18 at 10:54:12 by batman »  

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 12/18/18 at 15:32:02

Don’t reuse the carb bowl screws. Replace them with cap screws.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Cbiscut05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/18/18 at 16:16:04

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 12/18/18 at 15:32:02:
Don’t reuse the carb bowl screws. Replace them with cap screws.

What are those

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 10:42:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike keeps dying

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.