Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear Tire (Read 331 times)
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear Tire
11/14/18 at 17:35:50

I'm sorry, I have tried to search the forum, but have been unable to find what i'm looking for.  I am sure I missed it, but can someone help me find the following:

What is the largest size rear tire that can fit into the stock rim with the rear fender removed (will be doing a bobber). I am not looking to make any further adjustments other than the largest tire I can fit on the rim without the fender and still fit into the stock frame, etc.

Thanks in Advance!  I'll start a build thread with pics once I actually get started....currently finalizing my Vision!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Rear Tire
Reply #1 - 11/14/18 at 17:56:46

We've got a Metz 150/80 on hard to see the stock rim taking anything larger than that.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/14/18 at 18:16:05

Thanks.  I was hoping to put a Shinko 777 -  150/90  on the rear.  A little taller, but without the rear fender I was hoping it would work.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 11/14/18 at 19:00:02

Others will be along soon to weigh in on this. There's a detailed tyre thread on here somewhere. I think there's a width issue with the swing arm rather than the fender. Not only that but different brands seem to be slightly different in the same size.

copy and paste the line below and it will do a complete search of this site, do NOT click the link, copy and paste the entire line from "site: to tyres"

site:www.http://suzukisavage.com tyres

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/14/18 at 19:30:46

anything larger than 26" in diameter and you'll need to modify the swingarm.

WWW   IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/14/18 at 19:54:13

Thanks.  I am looking at the Shinko 777 HD 150/90-15.  I have contacted Shinko directly and asked them the diameter.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/15/18 at 04:00:38

Here is the new tire thread.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448021014

The 150/90 tire is really too wide for a 2.75" rim.....it is the standard size for a 3.50" wide rim, and not recommended for anything narrower than 3.0".  When you squeeze it onto a 2.75" rim you will be making the profile of the tire very round, and because you are squeezing the sidewalls in 3/4" the actual width will likely not be 150mm.  There are some members on the forum who use the 150/80 tire - but I bet they would actually get better handling and performance with the 140/90 tire....the Savage doesn't have enough HP or weight to require a tire anywhere near that wide, and it is likely the useful tread is narrower as a lot of tread will be rolled over onto the sides where you won't be able to use it. (I ran a 110/80-18 tire on my Cafe' Savage for a while and it provided plenty of grip).  The bigger and heavier you make the tire/wheel assembly - the slower the bike will turn into corners.  

The 140/90 tire is also standard on a 3.50" wide rim - however it is acceptable on the Savage 2.75" wide rim.  There are a lot of forum members that run this size tire and feel it is an improvement over the stock size (larger diameter allows taller gearing for highway travel).

The 150/80 tire often has rubbing issues with the bolts that hold on the fender braces.....if you get that tire and are keeping the stock fender, you will likely have to remove the stock bolts and get bolts that have a low profile head.

Here is a link to the bolt head rubbing issue:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1526742894

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 11/15/18 at 13:26:43

@Dave,

We've got the same 880 150/80 as the thread you linked to with the gouged tyre and on our S40 there's no problem with that tyre. There's about 1/4" clearance. Although we only got the 150 because they did not put on the 140 we ordered not because we wanted the 150.

EDIT: I just had another look at that thread and it was a 140/80 the bolt was due to an after market saddlebag bolts.

IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/15/18 at 16:49:21

Thanks for the replies.  I will check the new tire thread and comment on there.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 11/16/18 at 13:00:26

I run the Michelin Commander II's with a 140/90 on the rear.  When I installed, I softened the preload on my stock shocks and ended up rubbing the fender when hitting bumps on the freeway.  That's a pretty scary feeling at freeway speeds.  So I had to ratchet the preload all the way up and probably can't ride 2-up without getting extended shocks.
In addition to the fender clearance, this tire also looks to be pretty close to the swingarm.  Pretty sure I'm at the limits.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/16/18 at 20:05:17

I have that tire on one of my bikes, I have burned through 2 of them without issue.  There is very little wiggle room and I have no rear fender on it.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 11/17/18 at 15:32:15

Getting the widest tire for the "look" is kind of a joke. I doubt anyone will notice that your tire is 1/4 'wider. I must admit I ran a 140 /90 for over 20 years on my bike ,thinking because it was about 4.4% taller than the stock 140/80,  I might get better mileage , but in reality because it was heavy it got worse than the tire I now run, a  130/90 ,which also gives  better handling, which was immediately noticeable.This tire is also 1.1%  taller than stock,and the tire I intend to run from now on.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #12 - 11/17/18 at 16:06:23

Nevertheless the ME880's 150/80 does fit. I'll be getting the 140/80 next time only because the 150 (which I did not ask for) just wraps around more and I don't see the point.

However as small a difference as it will make, the 880 150/80 handles well, wears well (12000km so far and plenty left) fits, and has a good looking tread pattern.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 11/18/18 at 03:24:54

eau de sauvage wrote on 11/17/18 at 16:06:23:
Nevertheless the ME880's 150/80 does fit. I'll be getting the 140/80 next time only because the 150 (which I did not ask for) just wraps around more and I don't see the point.

Don't ignore the 130/90 option, as you have a lot more tire brands to choose from.  The tire width is a bit misleading - when mounted it has a slightly bigger diameter that helps correct speedometer error if you have one, and on the 2.75" rim it is only 2 or 3 mm narrower at the sidewall edges than the 140/80 - as the tire is made for the narrower rim and the tread width appears to be equal for both sizes. (The narrowest rim the 140/80 fits is a 2.75 and a 130/90 can fit a 2.50 rim).  It is an excellent replacement size for the Savage - both visually and physically.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 11/18/18 at 21:32:13

I'm going to 130/90 with my next tire , so I can spend less HP spinning weight and more HP making forward motion .

This might help ya :  https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Smiley

One of my brothers has a 130/90-16  on  his Sportster and it looks wider than my 140/90-15 , its that rim thing Dave was posting about .   The rim affect tire width a lot.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 13:57:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.