Send Topic Print
Weird tire damage (Read 113 times)
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Weird tire damage
05/19/18 at 08:14:53

So, I noticed this cracking (?) On my tire this morning. It goes all the way around. I added air yesterday because I noticed my guage read 20 psi. I aired it up to the recommended 36 for riding double with my wife and didn't notice anything amiss at the time. Road for an hour or so. We combine to to total of 330 lbs. The wife says she smelled burning rubber while we were riding, but I didn't notice anything.

No unusual surfaces, a fair number of speed bumps, some train tracks, top speed around 45 mph. Any thoughts on cause? Would it be idiotic to ride in this condition? Tires are Metzler 880s. Tread wear doesn't look too bad. Exact age and mileage would be a question for Lancer. I've put on 400 miles or so since I bought it from him. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

IMG_20180519_092907-2268x3024.jpg

Still looking...
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Weird tire damage
Reply #1 - 05/19/18 at 08:34:27

Do you think you may have something rubbing the tire? It doesn't look like tread separation.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 05/19/18 at 09:03:54

That looks like it might be the head of one of the bolts that go through the rear fender from the inside, that hold the chrome side pieces on. Do you have saddlebag supports on your bike, or a 140/90 instead of the OEM 140/80 rear tire?

IP Logged
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Reply #3 - 05/19/18 at 10:02:38

I agree that this is definitely something rubbing the tire. Once you added more air it probably puffed it up enough to rub something. Plus the weight of the passenger. I’m not familiar enough with the Meltzer’s shoulder profile to say if that is safe or not. My concern would be leaning in turns and also premature tire separation. Sorry for the bad luck.

2005 S40, Raptor mod, flipped risers, Biltwell grips.
Her name is Maila Nurmi but when I am done with her she will be Vampira.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/19/18 at 10:48:44

That is definitely caused by the rear fender bolts rubbing the tire.

What size rear tire is it?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #5 - 05/19/18 at 10:51:44

After further examination, oldNslow wins the prize! Looking for potential rubs, I noticed this powdered tire rubber on the nuts holding the saddlebag to the fender.

Seeing as how theres still tread beyond the depth of the worn area area,(apparently Lancer wasn't exactly over-using the shoulder before I got it) combined with the fact that I'm not generally leaning enough to use the shoulder of the tire much myself, I think I'm going to risk it. Only solo from now on though. That extra person weight makes a  huge difference in back tire clearance.

That said, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the situation.

IMG_20180519_104739-3024x2268.jpg

Still looking...
  IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #6 - 05/19/18 at 10:53:45

It's a 140/80.

Still looking...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 05/19/18 at 11:54:36

Might want to crank-up the shock preload the next time you're two-up.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 05/19/18 at 12:14:14

I'd recommend replacing the hex head bolts with something that has a smaller head. Button head bolts that have an allen socket in the head or something similar. On my bike I also had to move the mounting tabs for the saddlebag supports to the outside of the fender, between the fender and the chrome decorations, in order to have enough clearance. Even after changing the bolts the edge of one of the saddlebag support mounting tabs  on one side was still lightly hitting the tire going over big bumps. I weigh about 170 with all my gear on and don't carry a passenger. However the roads that I typically ride on around here are awful.  I'm running a 140/90 Shinko 712 tire and the bike still has the OEM shocks.With a 140/80 tire you might not have to move the supports.

IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #9 - 05/19/18 at 16:04:49

Shocks were fully cranked. I'll have to look into the buttonhead bolts, and maybe moving the saddlebag rack to the outside as well. I was kind of surprised at how far those boltheads stick out when I looked under there. Until I get around to that, we'll just have to take turns. Thanks for the advice y'all!

Still looking...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/19/18 at 23:47:02

It's hard to see how deep that grove is in the tire from the pic. but the tread groves are always deepest on the sides ,(the center of the tire wears faster) I'd think about replacement just for safety. I'd also check to make sure the spacers that fit on the shaft just inside the swingarm are install correctly ,they are two different lengths, the longer one goes on the drive pulley side, if reversed the wheel would be pushed closer to bolts that did the damage.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #11 - 05/20/18 at 19:16:33

That tire is due for replacement even without the gouging in the side wall.
Looks pretty thin in the center.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 05/20/18 at 21:35:00

I have to agree with Antmanbee ,Get a new tire. There's two things you NEED on your bike,  good tires and good brakes .If you don't have them you could be seriously hurt ! If the bike doesn't start or run it can't kill you. If the tire fails at speed your in big trouble!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 05/20/18 at 23:23:50

Tire looks whoa OUT
But
If it was gonna die because of the side being weakened by the groove I think it would have give up the ghost While the groove was being cut.
You've got as much carcass under the cut as out in the middle, I'd think.

Sure, replace it, but I don't see anything to panic over.
Just don't let it get worse.
You're not running the slab are you?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/21/18 at 03:40:08

What does the date code on the tire say?  It will be a 4 digit number that is burned/etched in the rubber - it will look a bit different than all the other letters and numbers on the tire.

The first 2 digits are the week, and the last two are the year......2714 would be the 27th week in 2014.  About 5 years is the limit for me to feel safe as the rubber begins to get pretty hard and traction is compromised.

The "new" groove isn't any deeper than the tread - so that alone wouldn't cause me to replace it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 17:07:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Weird tire damage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.