Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BRAND NAME VERSES MONEY -  Welder (Read 170 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: BRAND NAME VERSES MONEY -  Welder
Reply #15 - 11/14/18 at 20:28:57

If I want a pretty weld, there is Gonna be some grinding involved.  

Grin

Laughing with ya buddy !

………………………………………

Sandmaned and Dave ,

so if I get close to either of your welders next summer I'd like to give that TIG stuff a try if ya have (it/them) hooked up.  And you don't mind , that is ?   Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/15/18 at 03:08:13

MMRanch wrote on 11/14/18 at 20:28:57:
  If I want a pretty weld, there is Gonna be some grinding involved.  

Grin

Laughing with ya buddy !

………………………………………

Sandmaned and Dave ,

so if I get close to either of your welders next summer I'd like to give that TIG stuff a try if ya have (it/them) hooked up.  And you don't mind , that is ?   Huh

Absolutely, I always have a bottle of argon and an extra hood.  I've done my own little version of intro to TIG many times to help people get started.  What could be better than a few hours welding and motorcycles?  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 11/15/18 at 03:46:38

MMRanch wrote on 11/14/18 at 20:28:57:
Sandmaned and Dave ,

My welder is hooked up in the winter - not just in the summer!

If you and Marcia get bored this winter....you can come up and visit.

However.....I am not going to be able to give you any qualified lessons, as the TIG stuff is all new to me as well.  I don't think I have spent more than 15 minutes with it yet.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 11/26/18 at 05:55:48

MM:

Do you want a "free" cart for your new welder and tank?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 11/26/18 at 09:40:32

Some less expensive products are
Made by a quality manufacturer and just badged differently.
Find out who makes the thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 11/26/18 at 11:56:10

TIG welding is easy if you ever learned to weld with an oxy-actylene torch, a skill which was often taught in high school industrial arts courses.  Actually it is easier because the shielding is better and you don't get all the popping when the puddle blows out and it is easier to control the puddle.  

Professional welders and industry always buy the best welders for a couple reasons.  One is duty cycle, they have to run the things for hours on end and that means the welder has to be made with quality components.  At home you don't need that sort of duty cycle. Also industrial welders last for decades.  I've seen 40 year old Miller welders doing just fine.  Secondly, the better welders have some built in controls that help with starting an arc etc.  Those features make for easier welding.  Having said all that it still seems wasteful to pay a few thousand dollars for a welder if you don't use it frequently.  I think a guy would do well to borrow one or buy a cheap one and see how often it is used before buying an expensive machine.  Also, don't overlook stick welding.  With a 220v AC/DC welder and a good selection of rods a stick welder is a very versatile machine and is usually a little cheaper to buy.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 11/26/18 at 18:06:43

've seen 40 year old Miller welders doing just fine.

My buddy, Vernon Miller, his dad was over sixty and StillKikkinAss. A welding Mo-Fo....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 11/26/18 at 20:48:41

With a 220v AC/DC welder and a good selection of rods a stick welder is a very versatile machine and is usually a little cheaper to buy.

Dad bought a Lincoln 220 the year I was 14 yrs/old.    I inherited it 24 years ago .   So , I've still got the welder I grew-up with.

Here is what I just bought with a spool-gun to do Aluminum with .  Smiley

I've wore-out two of the Chicago Electric 220 volt Mig welders , and Mig welded for Samsonite for a few years before my Army time , it payed good but It was a sooty job !  Grin

Thanks for the offer Dave , I got this one at HF for $40.00 minus 20%.    Added a $180.oo Ebay 80CF tank / $27.oo to fill it up --- and I'm ready to try out my first Aluminum project.  Roll Eyes  I think !

1126181634.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 16:13:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › BRAND NAME VERSES MONEY -  Welder

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.