Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My daymaker headlight and bucket have arrived (Read 128 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
My daymaker headlight and bucket have arrived
11/21/18 at 13:35:53

It has been 4 or 5 weeks since I ordered it and it has finally arrived, a daymaker headlight with steel bucket and mounting brackets. Hopefully I will get it mounted this weekend and let you guys know how it works. I bought it on eBay for under $50.00 and yes it does have the DOT stamp on the lens.

IMG_0571_001.JPG

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: My daymaker headlight and bucket have arrived
Reply #1 - 11/22/18 at 07:45:24

That looks like the one I put on the GS500 I'm restoring.   Its bright !   Your has two little rounds on one side where mine has one round on each side and to flats.  

« Last Edit: 11/27/18 at 08:11:57 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 11/23/18 at 17:45:53

Well, I got the headlight installed and I think it looks good. But, I just got back from testing it and I am not happy with it. It is not as bright as I had anticipated and the pattern is rather wide and short. I have adjusted it about 4 times and I guess I'll just keep playing with it as maybe I still don't have it adjusted just right. Anyway, not particularly happy with it thus far.

IMG_0574_001.JPG

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 11/23/18 at 19:09:50

Hmmm. 4 or 5 weeks. Only 50 bucks. Sounds like a cheap Chinese knockoff of the real deal. I really don't think having DOT stamped on it means much. Is the return address on the package the "Sum Phlung Dung manufacturing company?

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 11/23/18 at 20:41:59

Springman

Let me ask ya this :   Does the focus stay the same for BRIGHT  and DIM , and only the intensity/candle-power go up and down , or does the focus/aim actually change ?

The one I have gets Bright and Dim , but the focus never changes.   They should properly call it "Bright/Dim" --- and --- not really call it "Hi/Lo" .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/24/18 at 05:56:36

Springman/MM:

Glad you are willing to explore the potential for affordable lighting.  I do worry about the claimed reliability and performance of the cheap stuff that is made in China (vs. the better quality stuff made in China).....not all of it is equal.  I fear that a lot of the claims about 20,000 hours and 10,000 lumens are "fake claims"......a lot of those claims are likely based on the claims of other manufacturers.  If Cree claims their LED's last 20,000 hours, then other folks make the similar claim.  I have read that the light output and life are only really accurate in a test facility where the light is kept cool - once stuck in a headlight bucket the numbers really don't mean much.  I recently had my first LED fail after 2 years of use in my car.....it is likely a result of the underhood temperatures in our 90 degree summers.

Badwolf got a very good Daymaker knock off - I am not sure what model/manufacturer he got....it is very bright and has been reliable for him.

On most of the really good Daymaker style lights I have seen - the back of the housing is pretty deep it may not fit into some motorcycle housings.  The JEEP folks in our area seem to be buying a lot of very bright lights.....not sure if they are expensive or affordable.

I do wonder about the failure of the Daymaker style of light.  If you are riding with a conventional style light - generally just one filament burns out and you can still make it home.  This has also been my experience with the only LED failure I had - the low beam burned out but the high beam still worked.  With this style of light it is easy to keep a spare bulb in your toolkit.....or you can buy a replacement bulb almost anywhere.  With the Daymaker style.....does only the high or low beam burn out at a time....or does everything go out?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/24/18 at 09:01:35

MM, you might be right in that it is bright and dim. I will take another ride tonight and will play some more with the aim.

Dave, I do not know if this headlight will go out all at once or one light at a time but I do have a small auxiliary light mounted on my crash bar which puts out a bit of light. Also, this light came with the bucket which is a cheap metal so I did not have to try to fit it into the stock housing. Worst case scenario I threw away 50 bucks for nothing. Or I can replace the actual daymaker headlight with a better quality one since it should fit in the bucket. I'll play with it for a bit and see how it turns out.

Armen, I went to look at the headlight to see who manufactures it. It did not say anything about dung, it just says SUCKA with a smiley face next to it! Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 11/24/18 at 16:31:55

I was replacing the Funky Triangle looking thing that came with the bike.   So , the replacement came with a bucket and fork clamps and the light combo.   Its OK , but is Bright/Dim --- not Hi/Lo .  I fussed at the seller for not disclosing  that fact before selling it and I left them really Rotten Feed-Back along with a warning in the Reviews section.    

I bought that bike to sell , so , the light should last as long as I need it ?  Wink

As of now I need to get $1,000 for it to get anything for my time.

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 11/24/18 at 19:30:39

I just readjusted the lights about 3 more times. First the way you are supposed to do it and finally settled with aiming them about 2 inches or so higher than you are supposed to. The light I guess is adequate but not good. After playing with them all this time it does appear that it has a low and a high. It is just that they are both pretty weak so at first it was hard to distinguish.

Even though I aimed them just a bit higher none of the other traffic complained. This headlight may not be on there for very long and the seller is going to get a less than stellar review.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/25/18 at 04:44:15

Springman:

Pull your bike up to a flat wall....about 30' feet away, then switch between low/high beam.  That will allow you to see if there is a vertical cut off on the low beam, and when you switch to high beam the shape of the light pattern on the wall should change, and the vertical cut off of light should go away, and more light will shine on the wall (more light....not just a brighter light in the same pattern).

Is the light pattern even....or are there bright and dim areas?

« Last Edit: 11/25/18 at 08:02:11 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 11/27/18 at 08:52:41

Several of my Harley buddies run Daymakers , I like the  " White Light " they put out.  

If I ever get another one it will be the 7" version like Versey has on the BEAST .

This is the one I put on the GS500 : All four elements burn all the time , I would guess in "Series for Dim" and "Parell for Bright". ?

Smiley

DayMakerLight.jpg

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/27/18 at 10:30:47

I did the proper aiming. I got 25' from the wall, measured the height to the center of the headlight, marked the wall 2" lower than the height of the headlight and set the low beam at that height (very definite cutoff). Then when I turn on the high beams the light does go above the low beam cut off, but it is very dim and does not project very far. Not happy with it.  on the final adjustment (which I feel gives me the best illumination) I actually aimed the low beam cut off about equal with the headlight height, or about 2 inches higher than it should have been.

I have corresponded with seller, and they are going to refund about 80% of the purchase price. I agreed as I can still use the bucket (I hope) for a better daymaker headlight.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 15:04:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › My daymaker headlight and bucket have arrived

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.