Send Topic Print
Pulled the brass plug (Read 143 times)
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Pulled the brass plug
08/28/18 at 17:25:37

I pulled the brass plug out of the carb. No problem. Turned the mix screw in 1/2 turn it stopped. Turned it out just over 1&1/2 turns, not quit 2 and it stops. Not forcing anything. This just doesn't seem right to me. Turned out all the way it doesn't seem to make any difference. Still surges slightly at part throttle steady, say 35 in third, and still has the little pop when I shut it down. Everything else is bone stock 1988. Right about 600 feet here.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Pulled the brass plug
Reply #1 - 08/28/18 at 17:53:36

It seems odd that it's been factory set at 1/2 turn out. So there's something up. Do you have the engine well warmed up before adjusting? Should be ridden for at least 20 minutes before adjusting.

Put a brick under the side stand to keep the bike upright or get someone to hold it upright as it's not good to idle on the side stand.

Set the idle speed to a bit lower than normal and then turn the screw in slowing until it either stops or until the engine sounds like it's going to die. If you have it all the way in and it's still idling it may have too big a pilot jet.

Turn it out slowly until the idle speed reaches a maximum, it should end up being about 1 1/2 to 2 turns out.  After setting then turn the idle back up to the correct setting, of 12-1300

Pop and surging both went away for me after adjusting the idle mix screw.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 08/28/18 at 18:37:38

You could try 35 mph in 2nd (you could be "dogging "the motor).  Surging in mid range may require the spacer mod be done or adjusted.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #3 - 08/28/18 at 18:40:32

Thanks. I was more wondering about the screw only moving a half turn in and then not two full turns out before stopping. Was wondering if anyone has had this happen? Makes me wonder if there is a corrosion issue?

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/29/18 at 03:31:40

That brass plug has a tiny hole in it.....and it allows moisture to get to the threads for the mixture screw.  The aluminum threads corrode, and when you try to back the brass screw out it stops when it hits the corroded threads.

Trying to muscle the brass screw past the corroded threads often results in stripping that small fragile slot in the head of the mixture screw.  Then the only way to get it out is to drill and use and easy out (or the torx bit method suggested in another thread).

If you do get the screw out.....it is suggested you take a tap and clean up the threads in the carb body.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #5 - 08/29/18 at 04:33:39

Thanks Batman. I guess you posted while I was typing. I missed what you had said. I am planning to do that soon.

Dave. I suspect you are correct. It is what I was thinking and it's nice to have confirmation. I was surprised the it would only turn in a half turn. Do you know off hand the tread size for the screw?

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/29/18 at 05:25:34

GOF wrote on 08/29/18 at 04:33:39:
Dave. I suspect you are correct. It is what I was thinking and it's nice to have confirmation. I was surprised the it would only turn in a half turn. Do you know off hand the tread size for the screw?

It is: M6x0.5.

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #7 - 08/29/18 at 05:51:51

Super! Thanks.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/29/18 at 09:26:26

Using E10 seems to make everything worse in this bike. Many stations now sell non-ethanol premium now, so try to find that. I went to using STA-BIL all the time, and that helps considerably.

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #9 - 08/29/18 at 09:32:32

Thanks. Been using ethanol free 90 octane. Seems to run better. Doesn't surge as bad.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/04/18 at 04:32:17

I worked on a members carb this weekend....bone stock and never been fussed with by anyone.  There was some corrosion on the outside of the carb body - but not an excessive amount and the steel parts are not rusty.

When I pulled the plug, I was surprised that the screw only turned in 1/4 turn until it seated.....that doesn't match the stock setting of 3 turns that is published as the "pre-set".

I added some penetrating oil and started to back the screw out and it turned easily.....at about 5 turns is got stiff.  I turned it back in and worked it back and forth - then I began to try and force it past the corroded threads.  I noticed that when I turned it back in - the screw was now stiff everywhere.....I believe the corroded aluminum had started to distort the threads on the soft brass screw.  I had a screwdriver that fit the slot very well - however ultimately the screw got stuck on the way out and the soft brass screwdriver slot stripped.  I was able to get the screw out using a 5/64" drill and the #8 Torx bit.

If you can get the fuel mixture screw out using the a screwdriver - consider yourself fortunate.......but don't be surprised if the soft brass screw doesn't come out and you have to revert to drilling to get it out!  Once it is out you must retap the hole to clean up the corrosion on the threads......the new screw will not go past the corroded threads and the soft brass threads will be distorted by the harder aluminum, and you are likely to strip the screwdriver slot on the new screw when you are installing it (been there....almost did that).

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #11 - 09/04/18 at 13:40:05

Thanks Dave. I have not forced anything. Will see what I can do to finesse it first. But to be honest I haven't messed with it since. Been too darn busy with other things.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Spamcan
YaBB Newbies

Burdened with a
restless mind !

Reply #12 - 09/18/18 at 13:31:37

For those of you contemplating pulling that brass plug... try my way

https://youtu.be/PXbVyH-XbMk

USAF Ret E7. Instrumentation and Flight Controls. QC Activity Team Chief. Field Training Instructor, Type IIA PMEL. C-47, C-54, C-121, C-130, T-33, T-37, T-38, F-5, A-37, F-101, F-105, F-16. Loved it!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 09/18/18 at 15:43:25

By all means, use penetrating oil liberally and work the screw back and forth as Dave suggested.  From the carbs I have played with I believe the factory dimpled the edge of the threads in the carb body in order to prevent folks from removing the screw.  It makes it a real pain to deal with.  Also, if it does come to drilling and running the threads, be SURE you have removed the spring, o-ring and washer before attempting to run the threads.

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #14 - 09/18/18 at 17:01:16

At this point I am planning to wait until I start the over winter work and pull the carb to work on it. It almost looks like when they pressed the plug in it pushed up a ridge in the bore.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 09:24:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pulled the brass plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.