Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lowering Forks....shortening tubes (Read 67 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Lowering Forks....shortening tubes
09/18/18 at 09:47:27

I didn't want to derail an existing thread - but the discussion about how to lower the forks and still keep the fork travel was being discussed.

Some folks install spacers to reduce the amount of travel by 2" - this can cause for a choppy ride as the amount of travel is reduced considerably.

Some folks change the top fork yoke to a clamp style that allows the tubes to be raised.  This is a bit expensive as you have to purchase a new top yoke.....or modify a bottom yoke.  These work great for clip-on handlebars - but you have to get creative to mount handlebars.

The new discussion is the potential for having the fork tubes shortened and re-threaded.

ohiomoto wrote on 09/17/18 at 10:51:37:
I'm going add this here for those of us who lowered our forks for looks but would like to get that lost travel back and possibly do some of the mods listed here.   I'm one of those guys and since I have standard bars, I'd like to keep my top clamp.  So I decided to look into have my fork legs shortened and rethreaded to accept the stock top caps.

I found an experienced guy on youtube and contacted him.  $75 a leg.  He's experienced and is into cool stuff.  I'll be sending my fork tubes to him this winter.

https://yt3.ggpht.com/a-/ACSszfHGqqJi9Ng7CwG97yx-cgouAXS2ZHu7QaW51w=s900-mo-c...

I wonder if we get a group buy with this fellow if we can get a discount.....or can he buy a "tap" to cut the threads and spend less time in the machining process?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: Lowering Forks....shortening tubes
Reply #1 - 09/19/18 at 01:55:36

With a Ryca top clamp, I dropped my front end 32mm. Steering is more responsive. Sad that 'Forking by Frank' is no longer with us, as shorter legs would have been a better option. Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #2 - 09/19/18 at 10:39:01

What do you mean, Forking by Frank is no longer with us? I ordered my fork tubes from them just a few months ago. And I just checked the website http://franksforks.com and they are still open and taking orders.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 09/19/18 at 13:29:43

Embarrassed!  sorry about that. I read somewhere that the owner died and the business closed a while later.
Well, another option opens!  Thanks for that! Cool
They used to advertise extensively, haven't seen an ad for them in a long time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 17:16:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lowering Forks....shortening tubes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.