Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WHITE SMOKE!!!!!! My two wheel beast needs help (Read 109 times)
NewEnglandRider106
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WHITE SMOKE!!!!!! My two wheel beast needs help
09/15/18 at 18:47:58

NEWB HERE!!!! I have a 97 with 4500 miles, did a full carb clean, stock jetting and brand new air filter oil yadda yadda. Now I’m getting overheating and white smoke at the joint. Did an oil change and didn’t seem to have Uber amounts of gas in it. Have on a raptor petcock but the wrong, cheap kind. Any help and suggestions would be very appreciated as im very frustrated at this point as one problem pops up after the next.  :'(

Ps this is my first bike but I’ve scowered this forum for hours so I know enough to do whatever needs to be done Shocked

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: WHITE SMOKE!!!!!! My two wheel beast needs hel
Reply #1 - 09/15/18 at 19:20:09

What did you find when you cleaned the carb?
    Did you reassemble it correctly?
       What is your elevation?(if it's below 1000 ft above sea level and your running stock jets and haven't done the spacer mod ,it might be the reason your running hot, if you oiled the air filter ,I can only assume your running a cone filter ,which will add to your problem ,as well as the cheap petcock ,that will only flow 2/3 of what a Raptor will).
         Please define "Uber amounts"  of gas ( you should have none now ,if you changed the oil after peacock install.
            It would help if you told us what your exhaust system is and exactly where it 's leaking, and also when(at startup, when shifting or all the time) .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/15/18 at 19:34:07

ow I’m getting overheating and white smoke at the joint.

It's overheating?

How do you know?

White smoke at what joint?
What have you done to the joint?
Wax?

If it's not getting the fuel at speeds, it's lean
It's HOT.

Petcock isn't that expensive

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 09/15/18 at 19:51:56

Did the white smoke show up shortly after starting the bike after the oil change ?
It's real easy to get some oil on the pipe behind the chrome heatshield near the footpeg, when you take the cover off to access the oil filter. Or if you manage to spill some oil  when refilling the crankcase. It doesn't take much oil on the exhaust pipe to make a pretty impressive cloud of white smoke once the bike runs long enough for the pipe to get hot.

Take a garden hose and wash that area off real well, let it dry and start the bike up again.

Is the bike really overheating - how did you come to that conclusion? Or do you think it's overheating because of the smoke.

Might not be time to panic just yet.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/15/18 at 20:15:23

Next time run foil over the exhaust.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NewEnglandRider106
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/15/18 at 20:57:34

sorry for lack of info, smoke comes periodically and was not the cause of oil on the pipe which i have seen before. Smoke is seen at the connection of the exhaust pipe and engine at startup and even after a short ride around the neighborhood.(side note from this cant get the bike over 30 mph, twist the throttle and at a certain point i can feel the bike lag and lose its acceleration).

Elevation below 500', white spacer mod in a correctly put together carb (spent lots of time on this after discovering i had issues with the float before).

Overheating is just my hypothesis but what do i know, just my initial reactions which is why ive come to the forum before i mess up more stuff. Just put in a new, stock air filter too(if that helps). I understand if more information is needed.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/15/18 at 23:00:04

white smoke at the head joint is not overheating, that maybe an oil leak.
overheating won't show up right away and you'll have a hard time keeping you feet on the pegs.

And the wrong petcock will just limit how fast you can go and will be fuel starvation at speed.

it sounds to me like either stuck slide or the spring for the slide wasn't put in right.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/15/18 at 23:12:07

That lesser fuel delivery to the bowl just limits top end, not like it's jetted wrong?

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #8 - 09/16/18 at 14:00:06

While you're re-checking things, I would make sure the large spring that sits in the carb side is seated properly in the carb cap (if it's not, it will mess with acceleration and top speed). I'd also check the plug on the vacuum port on the carb.

A cheap petcock will also create all kinds of issues that seem like carb problems. I'd get a genuine Raptor first.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
NewEnglandRider106
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/16/18 at 15:38:35

Got the correct part on the way, thanks for the help everyone and will post with an update.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 09/16/18 at 23:32:46

I think Verslagen  has a point the smoke could be the start of the "dreaded plug leak", or other oil leak . The fact that the bike won't do over 30mph ,has got to be fuel (carb) related(you have spark and compression) , perhaps the diaphragm spring , or the brass plate holding the needle jet ( is it blocking the two vacuum port holes or is the plate assembled with the dimple facing down? was the slide free of dirt/finger prints?) what jets are you running? what trouble did you have with the float?/how did you repair it?( Did you pull the float valve seat and check the condition of the O-ring that seals it to the carb body?) You still haven't said what your running for an exhaust system. If the bolts holding the header to the head are tight,the smoke isn't coming from the exhaust , it's more likely the plug leak. you don't have much mileage,but it could be leaking due to age (it is a 97).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 12:21:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › WHITE SMOKE!!!!!! My two wheel beast needs help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.