Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Buzz/rattle from front end? (video) (Read 162 times)
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buzz/rattle from front end? (video)
05/28/18 at 18:34:15

Hello Thumpers, spring is here and my bobber came out of hibernation running great thanks to this community.

But for one little thing that’s starting to drive me a bit crazy.

https://youtu.be/O3va5xjUT4c

I get this buzzing sound at higher rpms and I haven’t been able to figure it out. Thought maybe one of the silverbacks here might be able to offer some advice before I dig deeper.

First I figured my horn must be loose, but holding/playing with it didn’t help. Read that the headlight can be a problem. Had it apart but couldn’t find anything amiss. I verslavy’d the cam chain tensioner last spring (just in time) so I’m decently sure it’s not loose.. Read the spacing on the valve rocker arms can make noise so I got in there yesterday to re-gap them (they might have been a bit tight, but it didn’t have an effect). Saw sometimes the decomp cam can get hitting the rocker arm so I popped that out for a look. It doesn’t appear to be hitting though it doesn’t sit in there all that tight. Holding onto it doesn’t seem to affect the buzzing sound.

Next thing I see is to take the... top thingy off (valve cover?) and see if the cam chain wheel-thingy is doing something bad(?). Just playing with the rocker arms was deeper into any engine work than I’ve ever gone. I’m game to keep going, but would feel much better about it if someone was able to recognize the sound.

While spring is nicely rounding out we’re just getting into our seasonal infestation of shad flies here in eastern Ontario. Wouldn’t be a bad couple of weeks to miss picking bugs out of my teeth. Assuming I’m able to stay up after getting these 3 little demons kids to bed.

Thanks!

1996 LS650 bobber rat - window bars - peanut tank - solo seat - flat rear fender - straight pipe - terribly abused
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Buzz/rattle from front end? (video)
Reply #1 - 05/28/18 at 18:39:31

Go ride
Lay a hand on the speedometer

They can make a racket

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 05/28/18 at 20:17:35

Hand on the gas cap key way to eliminate rattling key tumblers?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 05/29/18 at 01:05:42

Just poke a spare key in there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/29/18 at 03:04:42

Well, the speedometer is bobbed. The cable is only about 10” now and a little mini gauge sits just inside my right knee. Is custom sporty tank with no keyed cap, which fits very snuggly.

The bike being bobbed like this is part of the mystery. There is almost nothing there to buzz like that!

Still scratching head.  

1996 LS650 bobber rat - window bars - peanut tank - solo seat - flat rear fender - straight pipe - terribly abused
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/29/18 at 03:14:59

Headlight bucket can do it

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/29/18 at 04:05:08

The headlight ring on my bike rattled so loud - I thought the cam/rockers were self destructing.
(A full face helmet collects all this sound and makes it seem louder than it really is).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 05/31/18 at 03:02:42

The glass in one of my bar-end mirrors was buzzing/rattling. It would buzz when the engine was under load and stop buzzing when I pulled the clutch. It caused me a bit of anxiety until I worked it out!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #8 - 05/31/18 at 17:21:48

No kidding!  I am experiencing the same thing, it just popped up.  This year I put in raptor, installed LED headlight, normal other maint., And put  the seat lift mod in.  I really tried to secure the headlight internally.  

The sound I have does not correlate with rpm, but does seem to stop when I pull in the clutch.  I am going to look at the speedo more closely, and remove the seat again and to check for loose stuff.  It's annoying, perhaps I will posts video.

2008 S40
  IP Logged
tinkleFury
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/31/18 at 18:26:48

I was listening around closely yesterday after the ride home from work. The noise seems/feels so high up, but could just be the tank catching the sound (?). I thought the decomp solendoid felt kid of loose. Had never really played with it before. I took it completely off and restarted the bike. I was hopeful that maybe I was on to something.  

Was still able to make the noise just like in the video.

IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #10 - 06/12/18 at 17:23:15

Well, just to let the forum know in my case it is completely the speedo that was rattling.  Push down on it while the rattle is going on and it goes away.  Gonna search and see what was said about securing it.

2008 S40
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 06/13/18 at 07:13:12

George Palickar wrote on 06/12/18 at 17:23:15:
Well, just to let the forum know in my case it is completely the speedo that was rattling.  Push down on it while the rattle is going on and it goes away.  Gonna search and see what was said about securing it.

See this solution in the tech section:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1179104436

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 06/13/18 at 07:21:34

I had the buzzing recently too and thought it was time to fix the springs in my speedometer.  But it ended up being the chrome ring on my headlight.  Found out by just tapping on it with my fingers while the bike was parked.  

Mine's an aftermarket 7" housing with an LED bulb.  I pulled off the ring to see what could be done.  Ended up just needed a little reinstallation and a tighter turn on the screw.

While I had it apart, I wrapped the big LED electrical box and a couple bundles of the other plastic connectors with the plastic mesh stuff that comes on wine bottles or beer bombers and secured them with Velcro.  I wanted to make sure nothing else was rattling too.  I'll open it back up soon to be sure the heat sinks on the back of the LED bulb aren't melting that stuff.  But they guy from ADVMonster says the braided mesh heatsinks on the H4 R3 "can get up to 160f in a sealed environment ie no airflow after a month of running continuously".  So I think I'm safe  Wink.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 06/15/18 at 10:38:15

Nice gas tank ! Did you rubber mount it? your stock tank was ,the motor isn't, and both are connected to the top frame rail.

« Last Edit: 06/16/18 at 13:58:22 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 06/17/18 at 07:00:01

I checked out the video.  Two possibilities come to mind.  It could be the bell on the outside of your horn.  Try tightening the acorn nut in the center, or removing the outer bell and see if it goes away.  Another thought is maybe the metal on the outside of the front brake line.  Maybe where it passes under the top clamp or down around the front of the frame.  Could be buzzing against one of those, or where it looks split right near the horn.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 17:45:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buzz/rattle from front end? (video)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.