Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Any ideas before piston rings (Read 181 times)
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Any ideas before piston rings
06/06/18 at 15:22:20

my bike is running super rough. It won't idle without the choke fully out. if the choke is not out it bogs down and dies. I did a valve adjustment and not help. I'm thinking that the piston rings are worn. the compression is 120. is there anything else I can try before attempting to change the rings.

« Last Edit: 06/06/18 at 16:40:44 by seve321 »  
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Any ideas before piston rings
Reply #1 - 06/06/18 at 18:57:37

The symptoms you describe are not compatible with worn piston rings.  Sounds to me like you have either a bad manifold vacuum leak or a plugged up pilot jet circuit.  

Check for vacuum leaks by spraying down the intake manifold with carb cleaner with the engine idling.  If speed changes dramatically you found your leak.  

Check the pilot jet circuit by tearing down the carb and visually inspecting the pilot jet and pilot passages for crud and blowing through the pilot circuit passages with carb cleaner.  Let us know what you find.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 06/06/18 at 19:02:42

It's carb or petcock or vacuum problem. I highly doubt rings are the problem. Try a Yamaha Raptor petcock and plug off the vacuum line to it. Have you tried turning petcock to prime and then ride it to see if it goes away ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/06/18 at 19:03:41

Did you adjust the valves per instructions here or by Clymers?
Clymers has you turn the crank the wrong way and you end up on the wrong TDC.

WWW   IP Logged
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/06/18 at 19:46:04

ok, I appreciate the responses. I have the raptor petcock and the vacuum line is plugged. I used the write up for the valve adjustment on this forum. Now that it was mentioned I have had a lot of problems with the pilot jet backing out. I used Teflon tape to hold it in place. and it worked. but thinking about it I bet the gas broke it down it backed out again. I haven't checked it in a while.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 06/06/18 at 21:21:02

Your compression test has a lot of variables ,battery charge , if you held the throttle wide open , etc. With your result being 120psi I'd think your compression to be OK.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/07/18 at 05:50:20

when I tested the compression I tested on a cold and warmed motor, I just cracked the stater. I didn't mess with the throttle. and I know I have at least 12 volts on the battery but not sure on exact.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/07/18 at 16:27:28

You have to hold the throttle open when doing the test - or the throttle plate will be restricting the amount of air that reaches the cylinder.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/07/18 at 16:39:00

How does that work? I thought it required manifold vacuum to lift the slide.
I understand how a closed path through the carb isn't cool, but wouldn't it be better to pull the plumbing and lift the slide?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 06/07/18 at 17:42:24

The slide never really closes all the way.  If you look through the carb it stays about 1/4 open at rest. Also, it is not opened by manifold vacuum, it is opened by venturi vacuum which is a function of flow.  The butterfly valve is what controls the air flow.  The slide is used to keep the air velocity as close to constant as possible.  As long as you hold your throttle wide open and override the compression release while cranking you should get an accurate reading.  Your 120 psi seems OK to me.  It wouldn’t require you to keep the enricher on to keep the engine from dying.  The enricher is the dead giveaway.  You either have air leaking in or something preventing fuel from flowing through the low speed & intermediate circuits.

The pilot jet actually has a tapered seat on the top of the jet.  That tapered seat mates with a tapered seat in the body of the carb. When you tighten it up the two tapers lock & seal together.  It should always tighten up and stay put.  Don’t ever put Teflon tape in there.  If it won’t tighten up or won’t stay tight you may have the wrong style jet.  Make sure it has a tapered seat at the top.  Do a Prussian blue check to verify that the two seats are making contact.  If the two seats don’t make good contact air will be drawn in at that point since it is above the fuel level, which will cause a lean condition.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/07/18 at 18:17:36

If I could only remember all the great things I get here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/09/18 at 14:26:56

I cleaned the carb out and cleared the Jets to be sure. It started up and was able to idle without the choke this time. I took it for a little drive,  just around the parking lot. While riding I hear a clincking noise coming from the engine. It only happens when it's moving. Not at idle. Could this be an unsuccessful valve adjustment? I just did one prior to cleaning the carb.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/09/18 at 14:35:15

Well,
What's happening in motion that ISN'T happening sitting still?
Valves are doing the same thing all the time.
The belt is not
The output pulley isn't.

I'd have a good look at the front pulley.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 06/10/18 at 01:10:01

I'm with JOG ! If that pulley is not tight it can do some real damage.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/10/18 at 15:12:57

jog was right it was the cover for the pully. it was loose

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home