DR650 Cam Evaluation (Read 1202 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: DR650 Cam Evaluation
Reply #45 - 10/06/18 at 06:46:31

Simply taking the slack out is not exactly what I was gettin at.  You lob off the underside of the head and now the cam centerline gets closer to the crank centerline.  The chain will go waaaay slack.  Cam timing will be retarded, and the slack side of the chain will have to move forward, toward the drive side of the chain.  At some point, it’s gonna start getting too close to the drive side of the chain.  If the slack side touches the drive side,   Oooooooo man that would be ugly.

Might be able to re-arch the rear chain guide such that more of the slack gets taken up at points closer to the cam sprocket, areas where there is more distance between the drive & slack sides of the chain.  That would probably require bucking up the rear guide with some sort of strong back to make sure it doesn’t flex.  I think that’s doable.  It’s certainly something I’ve been considering.  I really would like to tighten up that quench zone.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #46 - 10/06/18 at 09:01:36

Great report DBM.

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #47 - 10/06/18 at 10:12:02

Just a thought ,but if your trying to rid yourself of extra cam chain slack ,rather than arch the rear guide ,it may be better to arch the front guide . For one thing it's fixed in place ,and it would have the advantage of advancing the cam timing,  rather than retarding it, if that's your need.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #48 - 10/06/18 at 10:23:01

The plastic is hard, cracks would be bad.
Heat might help, slow and gentle you go.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 10/08/18 at 04:08:14

sparktfxr wrote on 10/03/18 at 04:28:37:
Another point of interest to me is Ive fitted a 96mm DR piston & have read in other posts in this forum of 10.5:1 9.5:1 compression  ratios with the DR piston but when I cc'd the head & did the sums for the cylinder & gasket using the bore x bore x stroke x .7854 formula all I could get was 9.1:1...are the higher comp DR pistons available?... There is so much gap between the top of the edge of the piston & the base of the head (I measured approx 5.9mm with the gasket) that there is no squish effect (the piston is much closer in a DR)...the piston I used is a wiseco..p/n 4597M09600 which on the box says replaces 4597P4.

You may be completely accurate in your compression calculations.......the 10.5:1 often quoted is what Wiseco lists for the piston when fitted to a DR engine.  When installed in the Savage both the compression ration and deck height may be less than what would be ideal - but it is better than stock!

So....maybe we can start running 87 or 89 octane?

« Last Edit: 10/09/18 at 05:49:38 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 04/22/19 at 04:05:39

At the urging of DragBikeMike....I made a fixture that allows me to drill the oil holes in the DR650 cams:

Drilling

Countersinking

This cam is good......the stuff that looks like pits is the chips from the drilling.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #51 - 04/22/19 at 08:03:07

Mike  said he was multiplying the cam lobe lifts by a 1.38  advantage of the rocker arms . IF the Clymer manual is to be believed, it states that total valve lift is .330 for both the intake and exhaust(stock cam), yet the stated cam lobe lift for the stock cam is .254 /.244    . That would make the rocker arm ratios  1.299 for the intake, and 1.352 for the exhaust , That and the fact that manufacturing tolerances / and pivot shaft wear , of the rocker arms can be +/- .015  , can lead to false assumptions on total valve lift.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 04/22/19 at 13:08:12

That's a thing of beauty David.  Very nice job indeed.

I am about to pop the top off my engine to do a head swap.  I will be getting a good look at the DR cam.  It has well over 1000 miles on it now, possibly close to 2000, I've lost track.  I will fill you in on the results.

Regarding max lift on the DR650 cam, its right at .365" at the valves.  That was recorded in this post, and also in a subsequent post where I measured lobe lift for timing data (.020", .040" & .050") and valve lift for plotting the cam curves on a bunch of cams.  The rocker ratio trick is a moving target because the ratio changes as the rocker swings through it's arc.  I much prefer taking the actual measurement to calculating what the lift might be using a rocker ratio.  I learned a lot from this drill.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #53 - 04/23/19 at 22:27:14

DragBikeMike , I fully agree that your actual measurements  are the way to go,  but for example the stock intake valve lift (.254  x 1.299 = .330 ) could range (do to the +/- .015  rocker arm tolerance)  from .310 to .349  , so that moving the same cam from one motor( Head) to another might see some difference in the actual total lift , strictly caused by the change in rocker arms. I would think in some cases it might pay to move the rocker arms with the cam.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #54 - 04/25/19 at 13:38:28

I am in the middle of my head swap so the engine is out of the frame.  I had my first really good look at the DR650 cam and the rocker arms.  I am pleased to report that all is well.  The bike has right at 3000 miles on it so I believe that puts the mileage on the DR650 cam at about 1700 miles.  I installed it almost one year ago.  Here is a shot of the rocker arms.

DR_Rockers_3000_miles_3.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #55 - 04/25/19 at 13:39:11

Here is a shot of one cam lobe.

DR_Cam_3000_miles_3.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #56 - 04/25/19 at 13:39:51

And here is a shot of the other cam lobe.

DR_Cam_3000_miles_4.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #57 - 04/25/19 at 13:47:36

As you can see, all appears well.  I have pondered this oil hole issue and have decided to leave the cam as-is.  Although Dave has shown that drilling the holes is perfectly doable, I want to test the cam without the holes to see how it holds up.  Although there is some risk involved, I think we can all benefit from a good look at how it holds up over the long hall.  So far it seems to be holding up well.  There is no indication of any sort of adverse wear.  I might add, I am not a big fan of break-in procedures.  I know it's the prudent thing to do, but I'm an old drag racer.  You can't take your drag bike out for a 1000 mile break-in procedure.  You put it together with ample clearance and run the guts out of it. That's what this DR cam got.  I was WOT pretty much from day-one on this cam.  It held up good so I guess it can take it.   Surprise! Yes, the cam & rockers hold up well, but the main bearings don't.  Be careful, this is a trap.  The holes seem to be there to lubricate the cam, but IMO they are there to send additional oil down the head drains to provide lube to the main bearings.  I've got over 50K on the odo and the cam lobes and rockers still look great, but the left-hand main bearing, not so great.  Factory service manual says main bearings get lube from the head drains.  I shoulda drilled the holes.
DBM  7/13/23
« Last Edit: 07/14/23 at 01:30:50 by DragBikeMike »  

Inner_Race_Spalling_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #58 - 04/25/19 at 17:44:26

Pretty.....nothing more exciting then the inside of an engine that is working perfectly! Smiley

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #59 - 04/26/19 at 08:14:21

Holymoly that is a clean top end. We usually only see them when there is a problem.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:19:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DR650 Cam Evaluation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!