LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: DR650 Cam Evaluation
Reply #30 - 05/17/18 at 18:49:26

I have picked up a number of parts bikes with head and piston in that kind of condition.
It is just  N A S T Y   ! ! !

Yuky even.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 05/18/18 at 03:41:59

DragBikeMike wrote on 05/17/18 at 18:05:02:
 If you hold the cam up to a lite and look through the cam, as if it were a telescope, you should see this small hole.  I think that hole is a vent to allow air to escape.  When the engine isn't running, air will inevitably fill the cam.  To reestablish good oil flow and hydraulic pressure, that air has to escape.  If air is trapped in the hollow cam it will prevent oil flow through the cam.   

I have seen that hole, and I do believe it does have a purpose.  I imagined it was there to allow oil to flow over to the top of the cam chain and provide lubrication for the chain and guides.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sparktfxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 10/03/18 at 04:28:37

Hi Fellars..am on the tail end of a motor build after some modifications to a 2014 S40 & noticed the DR cam discussion, I used the DR cam as it seemed like a reasonable option given the shipping/time & our exchange rates in Australia. When I set up a degree wheel & dial indicator to check the cam timing it was pretty much spot on as it says on the spec sheet (new cam chain) but its a tricky process & I can see how easy it would be to be slightly out. I could with some fiddling alter the timing about 9 degs eg..instead of the inlet opening at 6 BTDC it could be 15 BTDC & all the other relevant openings & closings follow suit..which may be something to experiment with at some point but I have set them as the DR specs state. What I did do however is drill the oil holes in the cam as the 95 DR cam has only one hole looking horizontally through the centre of the cam, this hole is 1.5mm where as in my LS40 cam it was 2mm, so I enlarged it accordingly & also drilled the 2mm oiling holes in each lobe...it wasn't that difficult..the cams are just cast metal..not hardened..maybe make up a couple of wooden dollies to sit the cam in..sharp bits & take care.. I didn't have any problems & the factory must have found it worthwhile.  Another point of interest to me is Ive fitted a 96mm DR piston & have read in other posts in this forum of 10.5:1 9.5:1 compression  ratios with the DR piston but when I cc'd the head & did the sums for the cylinder & gasket using the bore x bore x stroke x .7854 formula all I could get was 9.1:1...are the higher comp DR pistons available?... There is so much gap between the top of the edge of the piston & the base of the head (I measured approx 5.9mm with the gasket) that there is no squish effect (the piston is much closer in a DR).. I have also opened up the ports & had the valve seats angled..am going with a 38mm mikuni round slide & a slightly larger diam header pipe with a modified muffler so am interested to find out what its like! Love riding this little bike so hopefully this will give it a bit more spirit!

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #33 - 10/03/18 at 04:51:52

Nice info there sparktfxr.  You and DBM are providing what I need to know. The oil hole drilling , or not, was a chief concern for me.  Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 10/03/18 at 05:13:55

sparktfxr wrote on 10/03/18 at 04:28:37:
 Another point of interest to me is Ive fitted a 96mm DR piston & have read in other posts in this forum of 10.5:1 9.5:1 compression  ratios with the DR piston but when I cc'd the head & did the sums for the cylinder & gasket using the bore x bore x stroke x .7854 formula all I could get was 9.1:1...are the higher comp DR pistons available?... There is so much gap between the top of the edge of the piston & the base of the head (I measured approx 5.9mm with the gasket) that there is no squish effect (the piston is much closer in a DR).. I have also opened up the ports & had the valve seats angled..am going with a 38mm mikuni round slide & a slightly larger diam header pipe with a modified muffler so am interested to find out what its like! Love riding this little bike so hopefully this will give it a bit more spirit!

We do not use the stock Suzuki DR pistons - but use the Wiseco pistons made for the DR.  The Wiseco pistons are not made for the LS but are close enough that they can work - the squish is better than the stock LS piston but I still don't believe it is ideal.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #35 - 10/03/18 at 06:18:40

sparktfxr wrote on 10/03/18 at 04:28:37:
Hi Fellars..am on the tail end of a motor build after some modifications to a 2014 S40 & noticed the DR cam discussion, I used the DR cam as it seemed like a reasonable option given the shipping/time & our exchange rates in Australia. When I set up a degree wheel & dial indicator to check the cam timing it was pretty much spot on as it says on the spec sheet (new cam chain) but its a tricky process & I can see how easy it would be to be slightly out. I could with some fiddling alter the timing about 9 degs eg..instead of the inlet opening at 6 BTDC it could be 15 BTDC & all the other relevant openings & closings follow suit..which may be something to experiment with at some point but I have set them as the DR specs state. What I did do however is drill the oil holes in the cam as the 95 DR cam has only one hole looking horizontally through the centre of the cam, this hole is 1.5mm where as in my LS40 cam it was 2mm, so I enlarged it accordingly & also drilled the 2mm oiling holes in each lobe...it wasn't that difficult..the cams are just cast metal..not hardened..maybe make up a couple of wooden dollies to sit the cam in..sharp bits & take care.. I didn't have any problems & the factory must have found it worthwhile.  Another point of interest to me is Ive fitted a 96mm DR piston & have read in other posts in this forum of 10.5:1 9.5:1 compression  ratios with the DR piston but when I cc'd the head & did the sums for the cylinder & gasket using the bore x bore x stroke x .7854 formula all I could get was 9.1:1...are the higher comp DR pistons available?... There is so much gap between the top of the edge of the piston & the base of the head (I measured approx 5.9mm with the gasket) that there is no squish effect (the piston is much closer in a DR).. I have also opened up the ports & had the valve seats angled..am going with a 38mm mikuni round slide & a slightly larger diam header pipe with a modified muffler so am interested to find out what its like! Love riding this little bike so hopefully this will give it a bit more spirit!

There are 94mm Wiseco pistons available with the same crown as those made for the DR by Wiseco, which yield the higher Compression you are looking for.  Whether you want the stock size 94mm, or 95/96/97mm, they are all available.  The 94’s are a custom made unit that Wiseco manufactures for me.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 10/03/18 at 11:31:13

The plot thickens.  Just when you think you got things figured out the page turns.

Greetings SPARKTFXR.  I'm very interested in your experience with the DR cam.  Great info on the drilling.  Sounds like I should be able to pull that off with the carbide bits that I originally ordered.  I just didn't have the nerve.  Now that I know it can be done I think I should plan on doing it to mine.

I'm very curious about the timing numbers.  I installed a stock DR650 cam (1995 model year).  The part number should be shown on a picture earlier in this post.  The cam came in a plastic bag (shown in the aforementioned photo).  The bag was factory sealed.  There were no timing specifications included.  I have some questions:

Is your DR cam a stock, genuine Suzuki, 1995 DR650 cam, or is it some sort of aftermarket cam intended for a DR650?  

Did it come with a spec sheet with timing data and instructions packaged with the cam, or did you get the timing specs somewhere else?

At what lift points are you taking your readings (.020", ,040", .050", etc.)?

When I checked the timing at .040" & .050" I got intake opening at 14 and 10 degrees BTDC, respectively.  That's why I'm so curious about your cam.

Regarding your comment about altering timing, I also have given that some thought.  What method are you considering (Elongating holes in the sprocket, drilling new holes, etc.).  Seems to me if you advanced the timing 9 degees to get your intake opening sooner, you might end up with some detonation and starting issues since the intake would then close 9 degrees sooner.  My data shows the DR cam closing the intake sooner than the stock cam.  Advancing 9 degrees would aggravate that.  I was considering going the other direction (retarding) by about 4 degrees.  I might do that if/when I increase displacement and compression.  What are your thoughts.  I would really appreciate any info you can provide on your timing checks (specs, procedure, etc.).

Best regards, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 10/03/18 at 18:44:31

One of our members (was it Armen or Gary_in_NJ) found out the number of splines on the cam drive sprocket on the camshaft can be rotated in conjunction with moving the teeth on the sprocket - and you can advance or retard the cam timing incrementally.

I believe it is posted in the Tech Section.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Cam timing
Reply #38 - 10/04/18 at 02:58:00

"One of our members (was it Armen or Gary_in_NJ) found out the number of splines on the cam drive sprocket on the camshaft can be rotated in conjunction with moving the teeth on the sprocket - and you can advance or retard the cam timing incrementally."

Yup, that was me. You can make some small cam timing changes by moving the cam sprockets on the crank.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
sparktfxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 10/04/18 at 04:47:52

Hi fellas..the piston I used is a wiseco..p/n 4597M09600 which on the box says replaces 4597P4. The cam is a genuine suzuki DR 1995 cam from Japan in the packet with the p/n printed on the white sticker which I can't find & was sealed as you say. The specs I used are from a PROCYCLE website for stock early cam @ .040 or 1mm lift. the cam sprocket has 38 teeth & the crank 19 so you can alter it with one then bring it back by rotating the crank one tooth on the cam chain..I didn't slot the sprockets or alter its relationship with the cam in any way ..its fiddly but I checked it twice & then once again after I checked the valve to piston clearances. Im not an expert but I do have a bit of motor building experience & with the combination of pistons ect I've used I would say theres very little chance of detonation & to reap the advantages of the squish the clearances need to be on the south side of 1mm which would only be achievable with some serious engineering skills to machine off the bottom of the barrel, shorten the cam chain, slot the cam & alter the fiber cam guides..or find a piston with more metal above the gudgeon, but I would be interested if I have the wrong piston & you could point me in the right direction... On saying that I WAS dissapionted at the low number  but at the end of the day Im just after a bit more pep!...not a fragile vibrating race motor.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #40 - 10/04/18 at 12:49:59

Well, I'm really bamboozled now.  I went to the ProCycle website and the only DR650 cam they sell is for a 96 thru current.  They provide a spec sheet that shows the stock 96 thru current DR cam with intake opening at 6 degrees BTDC, same as SPARKTFXR quoted.  

SPARKTFXR, are you sure you got your timing data correct?  It seems to me your are using the wrong specs for the 95 cam.  The #190 cam they use for comparison is their cam for the 96 thru current.  The numbers look nice to me but unfortunately that cam won't fit our bikes.  Please double check and let us know.  

Cam_Spec_Sheet.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
sparktfxr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 10/04/18 at 16:11:26

The suzuki P/N for the cam I used is 12711-12D00-000..I tried to upload a picture of the receipt but not clever enough. The cams post 1995 are as you say very different but this cam sprocket & bearing surfaces are identical to my old cam except for the slightly different lobe height & position & oil holes. The sheet you have shown is the same as the one I have so now Im a little confused as well..is the cam timing the same on the 2 different cams? because in the motor the figures match..I will keep searching the net for more evidence when I get the time but at the moment its all in the motor & it all checks out so I hope it works

IP Logged
Drifter..
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 10/05/18 at 12:18:26

DBM, have you removed the cam yet?  You mentioned you were going to check for wear on the undrilled cam and followers?

How much thinner head gasket can this engine use without problems?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 10/05/18 at 16:28:46

Yes.  Inspected it the other night.  Did a reply on hotrod’s “camshaft” post.  All is well.  After about 750 miles cam lobes look good.  Exhaust clearance was .006” and intake .004”.  So far so good.  Didn’t remove cam, did visual inspection through intake valve cover opening.  Tricky but certainly doable.  Need to use a tiny flexible light.

Tough call on the head gasket.  Given the generous OEM deck height (I’m hearing it’s like -.160”) shouldn’t be any problem with clearance, but the chain tensioner is a known problem and any change in head elevation is gonna aggravate that problem.  Fairly easy to correct cam timing but might be tricky to take care of the extra slack in the chain.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #44 - 10/05/18 at 16:54:44

might be tricky to take care of the extra slack in the chain.

Verslavy

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 17:27:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DR650 Cam Evaluation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.