norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Ignition Curve
Reply #15 - 04/21/18 at 21:06:47

Mike.
You are the best. You do the work that I at least are not willing to do.
Keep it up.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 04/21/18 at 21:33:51

Great job MIKE! Can you find   out the timing  when  the starter is engaged?

« Last Edit: 04/22/18 at 10:14:46 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 04/23/18 at 13:14:59

When the starter is cranking the engine, timing is still about 3 degrees BTC.  I tried it several times in hope of finding a retard feature but alas, 3 degrees BTC it is.  Not gonna find any relief there.  I now have a manual and I see the black wire you mentioned.  I guess its used as a reference for the ignition system (other systems I have worked on don't initiate spark until the engine has rotated at least one revolution) or possibly some feature like a ballast resistor on an old points system to compensate for the major decrease in battery voltage when the starter is operating under load.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 04/23/18 at 17:32:32

DBM ,thanks for taking the time to check , I didn't know what the wire did ,but assumed because it ran from the starter pos. cable that it might retard timing at startup .But perhaps it monitors voltage, ( volts drop when the starter engages) . We know voltage over 14v can cause damage to the TCI , and that voltage below 10v fails to produce a spark ,I don't know anything about circuit logic ,but does amperage tend to increase when voltage decreases? Could the TCI be  shutting down to protect itself from higher amps? We know if we leave the key on without starting the bike for a extended time the TDI can burn up, is this caused by applying constant voltage ,amperage or both?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 04/24/18 at 00:01:03

n't know anything about circuit logic ,but does amperage tend to increase when voltage decreases

Only if the voltage drop is caused By a decrease in resistance

Voltage drop on the battery is caused by a load , the starter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #20 - 04/24/18 at 02:57:34

Thanks for all your hard work and for sharing!
If the bike is really running such mild advance numbers, it either means that Suzuki is being very conservative, or that the combustion chamber is very efficient.
As to the ignition not working for the first revolution, I'm guessing that was done do eliminate kickback on starting.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 04/25/18 at 10:19:14

Correct Armen.  Some Harley ignition systems can be set for kick or electric start.  In electric start mode the engine must rotate at least one full revolution before ignition system comes on line.  It prevents lighting off the cylinder before the rotating assembly has gained enough inertia to overcome the combustion pressure, preventing kick back.  Of course that won’t work when kick starting.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 15:10:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignition Curve

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.