Send Topic Print
Bike cutting out (Read 73 times)
Grumpy Burrito
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike cutting out
04/10/18 at 08:37:05

Hello fellow Savage owners, I want to thank you for the add.
 But anyway, i got mine in Spokane Wa on St Patties day, and on my 50 Mile ride to Chewelah, got 40 and the motor cut out like cutting the ignition, then sat a half an hour, started right up and cut out again in a couple miles. and repeated several times Had a friend help me get it home, then i pulled and checked all the connectors in the wireing, and checked the carb and fuel delivery. Been going good around town, but leary of going on a long ride. Thinking CDI or coil

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bike cutting out
Reply #1 - 04/10/18 at 08:52:28

How many miles, and has the petcock been changed yet? Next time it happens, switch to PRI and see if that solves it. If so, switch back to run when it's not running, and get a Raptor. See MANY posts regarding this issue.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #2 - 04/10/18 at 09:38:15

Mine had a similar issue and would fire-up then die when I put it in gear. Turned out to be a wire that runs tween the air cleaner and battery had rubbed on the belt and was messing with the neutral-kick stand safety circuit. Pull off the front pulley cover and it's easy to check.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 04/10/18 at 10:15:00

The carb pulls it's highest vacuum at idle and it's lowest at wide open throttle. If you can  ride in town, at slower speeds ,but not highway speeds ,the stock petcock is failing ,you should buy a Yamaha Raptor petcock. about 1/3 the price of a stock one which will fail again in the future. Take care to  check your oil level, if there is a crack or hole in the diaphragm of the petcock it can empty your gas tank in to the air box ,crankcase ,or both, even when the bike isn't running.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/10/18 at 11:25:16

Don't buy a twelve dollar Chinese Petcock.
Get a Yamaha part.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Grumpy Burrito
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/25/18 at 08:12:28

I got the raptor petcock, waiting to get paint so will repaint the tank wile i have it off for the petcock change

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 04/25/18 at 20:44:23

If you still have a problem at higher speeds after installing the Raptor ,you could check the tiny filter screen that sets up inside the carb body just above the float valve seat ,it could be partly plugged not allowing full flow.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 13:47:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike cutting out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.