Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robinson (Read 469 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robi
Reply #30 - 05/26/18 at 04:13:54

Job wrote on 05/25/18 at 21:44:17:
I do not know how you guys are getting the mileage you are getting. I have been riding bikes for 55 years and I admit I tend to ride it like I stole it. I ride in the San Juan mountains of Colorado and I love to ride the curves fast. I am hoping that I can finally get 2 years of riding out of a car tire. Jeff

That pretty much tells the story.......I am in the same situation and I only get 6,000 mile out of a tire.

I think I am only getting about 4,000 miles out of the front Bridgestone BT-45s on both the Ninja and my Cafe' bike.  (I won't buy them again as the little square tread blocks wear too quickly when you corner aggressively).  The rear tires will likely last twice as long as the front! Shocked

The Michelin Commander is a hard "cruiser" tire, and what it gains in long mileage it loses in wet weather traction.

I have ridden with Badwolf, and he obtains his high mileage numbers by being kind to his tires.  He does not punish them in the corners like I do, and he accelerates and brakes calmly - his tires and motorcycle appreciate his kindness and in return they will last a long time.

It has also been my experience that if you take a tire to the mountains that is nearing the end of it's tread life and is more than 5 years old and the afternoon temperatures are up around 90 - you can wear it out in 2 days!  My wife and I went to Suches last year and I thought I could get the rest of the summer out of the tire.....but in two days the tread was gone and the back of the motorcycle was covered in black rubber shavings! (We did have a lot of fun wearing it out!).

I don't darkside - but I have been impressed by the performance and life they provide.  Oldfeller and MMRanch made a believer out of me by proving they work just fine.  It does look a bit odd when you are following them and see the bike lean over onto a somewhat squarish shoulder and half of the tread is up in the air = but in reality our rounded motorcycle tires are doing the same thing and most of the tread is not in contact with the pavement....the round profile just doesn't look as weird.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robinson
Reply #31 - 05/29/18 at 09:50:34

Badwolf, the Shinko 230 140/90-15 rear tire I just wore out at 6k miles or 6.6K factoring in my front kaw pulley was under a year old when I mounted it and timewise it lasted about 18 months. I tend to gun it at the lights just to get away from the cars. When I use it to get to work (about 35 miles each way) I ride between 70-75 most of the way. Fully geared up I am probably just shy of 200lbs. It does get ridiculously hot here in Houston which could be a factor.

My two previous rear tires were Shinko 712 140/90-15 and they both gave me between 8-9k miles and when I changed them were not quite as bald as this 230. Maybe I just got a bad 230 though it did perform well, or maybe I am just riding more aggressively.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #32 - 05/29/18 at 19:03:26

That "GOOD YEAR EAGLE GT" IN 145/85-15 , was a Really good tire till I let the air pressure down and ripped the cords in it !    It had over 20,000 miles on it and was about 1/2 wore out .

………………….…………….

Avon is garenteering  15,000 miles out of some of their sport bike tires now.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply #33 - 05/29/18 at 19:12:47

MMRanch, I hope they are much better than they were 2 years ago. I bought an Avon Viper Strike for my scooter a 300 cc Yamaha clone and it was baby behind bald in 4000 miles. I have to say that it was great in the twisties. Jeff

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply #34 - 05/29/18 at 19:21:28

MMRanch did that Goodyear Eagle GT  fit the Savage without any clearance issues. Each of the 145/90's I looked at online seemed to be too wide at the front of the swing arm. Thanks, Jeff.

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #35 - 05/29/18 at 20:39:01

there ain't no 145/90-15 ?    85 series is the biggest I ever seen .    I would have got another one but the 60 series is all I could find so I got one of them … still got it … its to short to get an inter tube into !

if the 145/85 will not fit then you must be running the 25 tooth front pully.  Remember  our bike came with a 140/80 series .    BigZuk had a 150/90 on his he also had the factory short (10.5") shocks and the fender rubbed on big bumps .  but 12" shocks would have fixed it , but he just quit hitting big bumps !  Grin

now that i have discovered the Commander II I'm not on the hunt for Dark-side no more. 22,000+  miles is close to 3 years ridding.

I would like to go tubeless and use the 145/60-15 I already have but I'm not sure how that might work ?   Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply #36 - 05/29/18 at 21:40:28

MMRanch, sorry fat fingers it was a 145/85 Shinko that I had on and it would rub the bolt heads under the fender on big bumps.

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #37 - 05/30/18 at 07:13:36

That sounds like the same problem BigZuk had with the 150/90-15 he had .   I'm kind-of long legged (5'10") so I tend to run 12 or 12.5 " shocks.   I do have to keep the belt a little loose so it can move up to level without breaking something !

Come to think of it , with the 25 tooth front pulley the 140/90-15 I'm running now is really close to the front of the swing arm.    

I've had the thought :   If I run a 130/90-15 then the tire would fit wider/flatter on the rim and might last longer instead of wearing out the middle of the round profile so quick. ???  Huh

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #38 - 05/30/18 at 07:41:55

Mike, Get a different wheel. Mine is a 15 x 3.5'' cast. Widens the sidewalls and I can run tubeless. Mine is from a 02' V800, was a little work to adapt, but nice now that it's on. Should be several wheels that will work, IF you don't mind a little work. Easy way, have your stock wheel re-laced with a wider rim, 3'' -3.5''.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 05/30/18 at 20:51:57

MMRanch wrote on 05/30/18 at 07:13:36:
I'm kind-of long legged (5'10") so I tend to run 12 or 12.5 " shocks.  

--------------------------------------

What?  Your legs gain nothing with longer shocks until they touch the ground at which point you can straighten them out as much as you want anyway.  Longer shocks will not change the distance from the seat to pegs.  

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #40 - 05/30/18 at 22:15:09

Longer shocks change a lot of stuff , one of them being the angle of the front forks in relation to the ground.   Smiley
Longer shocks also make my floorboards  futher off the ground so I can have a greater lean angle .   Stiffer springs in the front would be good too , for the same reason.  Wink
If you live in Flat-Land , then you may never know the difference.  Huh

batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #41 - 05/30/18 at 22:47:45

When you put on longer shocks, the only thing that doesn't gain ground clearance is your axles.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 05/31/18 at 04:29:11

And yet it has absolutely no affect on the relationship between the seat and pegs which is why the long-legged comment makes no sense.  Oh well, this is the internet so carry on.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 05/31/18 at 04:46:00

MMRanch wrote on 05/30/18 at 07:13:36:
I've had the thought :   If I run a 130/90-15 then the tire would fit wider/flatter on the rim and might last longer instead of wearing out the middle of the round profile so quick. ???  Huh

Because the "90" profile tires have such a tall sidewall, they can fit a wide range of rim widths.....and the 130 and 140 width tire are within the recommended fitment range for a 2.75" wide rim (although on the narrow end).

I don't think you would see much difference in tire mileage for the center of the tire.  I do believe the 130 tire would quicken the steering and acceleration as the tire is lighter - the 140 does however improve straight line stability and improve gearing for those long rides to Texas!

The Michelin Commander does not come in a 130/90-15 size - so you would have to find a new "favorite" high mileage tire.  It is a shame that they don't make Cruiser size tires with a hard center tread for mileage and a soft side tread for cornering grip - they make those kind of tires for sport and sport touring bikes.

Although I like the Shinko 230 and believe it is a good bargain for folks that only ride 2,000 miles a years - I just don't see any tire choices in the 130/90-15 size that are going to get you 20,000 miles like your Commander tire does.

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/130-90-15-street-motorcycle-tires/t119...

« Last Edit: 05/31/18 at 06:12:09 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #44 - 05/31/18 at 07:49:11

Ohiomoto
You right , the legg room don't change , the seat angle changes a little but not much.   I have found Floorboards are easy to get Spoiled too .   I can slid my feet back almost to "Standard" seating position or slide my feet forward to "Cruiser" seating position … or anywhere in the middle !  Smiley

Any shocks longer than 12.5" makes the swingarm ride so low that the belt gives problems.    I've got an ebay bid on a 12" pair off a Sportster now.

There are so many things about the Savage that are easily changed , I can't help but love this bike !  Cool

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:17:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robinson

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.