Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robinson (Read 466 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robinson
Reply #15 - 05/23/18 at 11:04:03

I don't think I am ready to go over to the dark side yet, though tempting. Just thought I would let everyone know that my Shinko 230 Tourmaster rear tire only gave me 6000 miles. Both previous Shinko 712 rear tires gave me around 9K miles. I switched to the 230 based on calling Shinko USA and talking to one of their guys. He indicated the 230 was newer technology and should last longer. He was wrong. The 712 is a good tire and previously gave me 50% longer treadwear.

I am considering the Michelin Commander II but think I just do not ride enough and think maybe going back to the Shinko 712 would give me a good tire that I can wear out in roughly 2 years as opposed to going maybe 5 years on the Michelin. I think I prefer having fresh rubber.

Oh, the Shinko 230 front tire still looks good. We'll see how long it lasts.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply #16 - 05/23/18 at 18:55:13

MMRanch, the tire I used is a Nankang 135R15. I could find a few 145/80/15's online but when I would get to the dimensional specs they were too large. The 135R15 is nearly identical as the original OE tire. I got the tire on Amazon for $61 and no freight. The tire had good ratings. It went on the wheel easy, but it took 135 lbs of air to seat the bead. The tire guy couldn't believe the tube and tire could take that pressure. He used a cage when inflating it. I feel that this tire will give me good service I am hoping for 20-25,000 miles out of it. My Shinko 230 was able at 8,000 miles.

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 05/23/18 at 19:10:05

Job, you are trying to seat an enlarged rubber sealing flap that comes on car tires on a rim that has no place for it -- you can simply trim off the flap off the tire and it will seat with much more reasonable air pressures.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply #18 - 05/23/18 at 19:36:16

Oldfeller, I didn't want to alter the tire if I didn't have to. I mounted it on the wheel at home, but my little air compressor would only put out to 80 psi. So I took it to a used tire store that also does choppers and the guy there said no problem. When it was done he said I would never have to worry about that tire coming off the bead. Haha.

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 05/23/18 at 21:15:44

I may just stick with the Commander II tire … over  22,000 miles on a bike tire ain't to shabby and they mount easy .   I'm waiting for one of the other bike tire manufactures to challenge Michelin's dominance  in longevity !   The Avon Road Rider is close as I've found in any other brand so far.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 05/24/18 at 02:36:55

springman wrote on 05/23/18 at 11:04:03:
Just thought I would let everyone know that my Shinko 230 Tourmaster rear tire only gave me 6000 miles. Both previous Shinko 712 rear tires gave me around 9K miles.

Has your riding style changed any - are you taking the corners faster than you used to?  Are you accounting for the fact that your odometer is no longer reading the same since you installed the Kawasaki front pulley?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #21 - 05/24/18 at 08:02:38

Dave, I might be riding a bit faster. I did not account for the front pulley but if you add 10%, 6600 miles is still not very good. I think I will order the 712 and see what kind of mileage I get on it this time. Thanks for the observations.

I guess what really surprised me is that before leaving to the Hill Country it looked like I still had plenty of tread and some 1300-1400 miles later the tire is practically bald. I don't know, it just caught me by surprise.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 05/24/18 at 09:20:54

MM has mentioned the Texas tar and chip roads to me as "very rapidly eroding his tires" as they are sharp edged crushed mini-rocks stuck over a layer of tar.   They literally cut little bites of rubber off your tires in a hard turn or in any form of hard braking.   Doing both items at the same time would be pretty bad on your tires, I'd guess.

Not having been, I have no personal info to share, but MM does.

I can speak to the high summertime road temperatures having the ability to rapidly "erase away" motorcycle tires as I have watched that happen on the last bike tire I put on my Savage while up at the Dragon proper on our very last Dragon Lodge stay.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #23 - 05/25/18 at 08:25:51

MM is right. Those roads are probably very abrasive and combined with the heat I guess they can chew up your tire quickly. Also that Shinko Tourmaster does seem to be pretty soft rubber. Oh well, I ordered my Shinko 712 and if it does poorly mileage wise, then I'll probably try the Michelin Commander II next time.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 05/25/18 at 18:09:38

I've wore out two of them :
1.  On the Harley 18,000+ miles (Dave acused me of Drag Raceing with it) Roll Eyes
2.  Regular stuff on the S-40  Roll Eyes Roll Eyesreplace it after over 22,000 miles (it was into the wear bars) , beating cars of the lights all the time but not using  the rear brake hardly at all.    I supect the second one will give a simular performance.  
They are not good on wet roads .   That first time near Suches we were on Hwy 129 on WET roads.  Dave was leading and running way with his sport tires and light bike.   The Harley with the Commander II on the rear was slip-slidding around every curve to the  point of  me driving like Granny on the way to Church Sunday morning.  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #25 - 05/25/18 at 20:22:41

First thing = I am NOT trying to put anyone down or disrespect anyone in any way. Tire choices are a personal thing baised on a LOT of factors. I am just adding my experences and looking for some input from others.
I run a Shinko 230 on my S-40 single seat bagger. I ride a lot of interstate. I run both Kaw pulleys and a big tire to slow down the engine to about 3400 rpm at 60mph. I am retired and have been riding since I was 17, so the go fast/drag the pegs type riding has left my system.
Now some numbers, my first 230 gave me 16,200 miles, second 14,800 miles. All easy cruising, the sides of the tread looked like new when the middle tread was gone. A BIG difference from you guys,,,BUT,,, I run a 150/90 15 tubeless on a solid aluminum 3.5'' rim at 30-31 psi. The center is much wider than a 130 or 140 on a narrower rim.
By comparison I got 7,000 on a Dunlop 404 -130/90 15 on the stock rim with a tube.
The first 230 was a leftover closeout and was over 4 years old when I put it on, the second was 2 months. Ageing of the rubber may have been a factor for the longer wear.
I tried a Shinko 777 130/90 16 HD 6 ply on a 2.5'' tubeless rim, and was disapointed to have the cord start to show on a little patch in the middle 300 miles away from home after only 4,400 miles, a very gentle ride home and swapped that one out at 4,700, for my 3rd 230.
The 777 I was running 37-38 psi and looking back that may have been a factor. Higher pressure rolls easier and normally corners better, but rides harder and wears the middle faster. That said, there extremes both ways that can be dangerous. Start with stock pressure and try a couple of lbs both ways to see what suits you.

Now can I get some feedback? You guys that got 6k on your 230's,
What size tire?
What rim width?
Tube or tubeless?
What tire pressure?
How old was the tire when mounted?
How long (months/years) did it take to wear it out?
How agressive do you,, ah,, ah,,, exercise your right wrist and toe?
What numbers have you got with other tires?

Lets compare some more than just total mileage numbers and perhaps we can actually find one or two common factors.

On a side note, my first 2 Shinko 230's were 5.9'' wide on the 3.5'' rim. My 3rd is 6.3'' wide on the same rim, makes it tough to fit it under the fender. I may try a 140 next time.

IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply #26 - 05/25/18 at 21:44:17

Badwolf, I got 8000 miles out of the Shinko 230 that I just took off running a stock S40 rim and 33 psi as specified. That is the best mileage i have ever gotten on any motorcycle rear tire. I do not know how you guys are getting the mileage you are getting. I have been riding bikes for 55 years and I admit I tend to ride it like I stole it. I ride in the San Juan mountains of Colorado and I love to ride the curves fast. I am hoping that I can finally get 2 years of riding out of a car tire. I ride all year long and if there is snow in the mountains i ride in New Mexico. Hopefully this is some help. Jeff

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #27 - 05/25/18 at 21:49:57

Job,
What size? 130/90 15, 140/90/15, or something else?

IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply #28 - 05/25/18 at 21:57:21

140/90/15 Shinko 230.

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply #29 - 05/25/18 at 22:00:26

The car tire I am running now is a Nankang 135 R15. I am running 32 psi single 34 psi 2 up.

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 03:04:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Darkside on 15" rims -- Danger, Will Robinson

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.